willie nelson (jody payne) cool bender?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by slinger, Mar 7, 2017.

1. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

sad to find out mr. payne had died..I thought he was great with willie.. working his bender tele between willies fine gut string leads...mr.paynes bender.....I have never seen another bender like this..does anyone know who built it or the story behind it ..or where it is now?...as you see in the recording it has 3 arms and looks a little different..look at 30 seconds...another peek at 3:42...good peek at 5:42...9:07

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

3. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey Slinger, that bender of Jody's looks like one that was built by my old friend the late Boomer Castleman. It was pretty similar to the one Boomer had on his main Telecaster except Boomer had six levers on his bender. He was credited with building the Bigsby Palm Pedal (see picture of one of my guitars).. Boomer told me that when he contacted Bigsby about building them that they told him they'd like a design that would incorporate the frame of the Bigsby Vibrato to save some manufacturing costs.. Boomer was a very good player and had a vocal hit in the seventies called "Judy Mae" which did very well for him......JH in Va. 100_0755.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    brookdalebill likes this.
  4. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

mr.hayes...once again...you are the bender king...I would love to see clear close photos of this bender..I like the layout and the pads on the levers

5. jrussell892

jrussell892 NEW MEMBER!

I know this is an older post, but if you're still around and still interested, Jody was using a bender built for him by Shot Jackson. From what I can tell, it operates similarly to the Bigsby unit, although it just clamps to the body of the guitar.

Attached Files:

brookdalebill and Teleguy61 like this.
  6. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Very cool..thank you..jrussell892

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!
    Thanks for the info regarding Mr. Payne’s bender!

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had the great pleasure of meeting, and playing with Boomer Castleman, and drummer Lois on a few occasions.
    Boomer was a fascinating guy, and had more bender licks and tricks than anyone I ever saw/heard.
    RIP, sir.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.