Will this solder be fine? 60% lead...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by maverick-tx, May 10, 2016.

1. maverick-tx

maverick-tx TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I have some NOS "44" Kester sn40/pb60. Can I use this to install my new wiring harness. Just need to hook up the pups.
    I keep reading that 60/40 is best but can't find any evidence either for or against using this reversed ratio on a guitar.

Thanks

2. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted

sn40/pb60 might tend to stay melted longer (not a great thing for electronics soldering) - it's more for mechanical joining I think. Not sure whether conductivity is a real issue or not so it might technically work. But part of what makes 60/40 (or 63/37) work nicely for electronics is that it melts all at once and flows really well (if the surfaces are tinned) then re-solidifies quickly after removing the heat. The idea is that you want to get in there and back out with the iron with as little heat transferred to the components as possible and have the solder set right away so things don't move. 60/40 ratio works well in that regard. 63/37 is the point at which this characteristic is maximized so that's why you will see that particular ratio.

3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The technical term for the excellent explanation above is eutectic.
    It is the ideal solder for electronic applications.
    40/60 is usually used in metalwork or leaded glass applications not really suitable for electronics

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's for stained glass or sheet metal work, don't use it on electronics. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a fresh spool of Kester 44 60/40 or Mulitcore 60/40 rosin core solder. There really is nothing better.

5. maverick-tx

maverick-tx TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Thanks all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.