Will this equipment give me a good sound similar to The Edge?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ktmay2, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ktmay2

ktmay2 TDPRI Member

Hi,
    For Christmas I'm getting a new guitar, amp, and maybe a few pedals.
    However I haven't decided whether I want a Fender MIM Tele or Strat... what do you guys think?
    Will these give me 'The Edge' style sound?

Guitar: Fender MIM strat/tele
    Amp: Vox Pathfinder 15R
    Pedals: TC Electronic Flashback Delay, Boss SD-1 Overdrive, MXR Dynacomp Compressor, and the Boss CH-1 Chorus.

What do you think? Is it a good setup for an intermiediate guitarist?

2. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

I've seen the edge play both strat and tele in concert, in the end if you want his "sound" you need a decent gear, a good delay or 10 and his skills

3. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

I would suggest, that Telecaster -> M-9 -> Pathfinder would be nice. And then buy a second amp for stereo.

4. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

That looks like a good combination. I've gotten "Edgey" with a MIM Strat (the pickups on those are hotter than you think) with a lot less. A tele should be perfect and those are some decent pedals. Good luck!

5. ktmay2

ktmay2 TDPRI Member

Don't know, for some reason I really don't like all of these multi-effects stuff, I prefer just standalone pedals. And yeah, I know that I'm not gonna sound like the Edge without his skill :eek: but I want to give it a go ;)

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No it won't ,you definitely NEED a decent TUBE amp for this sound,buy a small cheap tube amp like the VHT special (or an Epiphone Valve JR) that sounds KILLER & a decent delay (the Flashback is fine), the guitar (as long as you know HOW to play it) does not really matter.

7. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

have you seen "it might get loud"? you need like every pedal ever made and an extra guy to run them all for you.

8. ktmay2

ktmay2 TDPRI Member

Yeah sure, I understand I might need a good tube amp, but to be honest, I don't really have the money for buying it and maintenance and stuff. Obviously I would LOVE to have a good Vox AC-30, but that's not exactly gonna happen any day soon (meaning about 5 years).
    I have definitely decided on the Pathfinder, practically all of the reviews says it sounds quite 'tube-like' and its a very good amp overall.

9. EunosFD

EunosFD Tele-Holic

Don't forget the Herdim picks (or something similar). Def a big part of his sound.

10. ktmay2

ktmay2 TDPRI Member

Yeah, sorry. I forgot to add that to the list!

11. mitch_m

mitch_m Tele-Holic

I think the Strat will be able to get you close to some of Edge's tones. Like the in between the bridge and middle sound on Where The Streets Have No Name. I would recommend swapping the chorus with a reverb. Preferably one that has a 'shimmer' setting. I believe that Beringer makes the rv600 that has it and isn't very pricey.

Oh and you'll do fine with the.Pathfinder for now. If you like, the LED clip mod makes the amp sound much more tubey. And you get more headroom and the gain channel is actually useable. It's simple too. No solder required.

Anyway, hope you like the rig you choose.

12. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I prefer standalone pedals too, and to have a dozen of amps and guitars, but I have not for some reason :) Looks like you need some compromise, and M-9 would be more effective, and, maybe sounds better, then pedal combination, that you wrote. But that's just my suggestion.

I think, that essential "Edge" sound was produced, when he played on the beach with DMM into AC-30 :)

13. ktmay2

ktmay2 TDPRI Member

Thanks. This might sound seriously stupid, but what are all these mods and how do you do them and stuff? Obviously I've heard of them, but thats about it.

14. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

i would say up to the late 80s, and even that is arguable, he has an "essential" sound, since then not really. were talking 20+ years where his "sound" has been pretty much anything and everything.

15. mitch_m

mitch_m Tele-Holic

Not stupid at all. It's a valid question. So to do any mod ok an amp, you have to get to the guts. That involves simply taking off the piece of wood on the back of the amp. Once you see the circuit board, look for two LED's that are sitting together. It's not hard, they are the only two LED's on the board. Then, cut them off of the board with pliers it something. That's it.

The LED's add additional clipping to the circuit. I think that when your guitar signal passes a certain threshold, they light up, causing the amp to clip and distort. Removing these lights eliminates this distortion and allows for a more natural sound.

If you want to make the mod reversable (like I did) just heat up the LED's with a soldering iron and pull them out. But trust me, you won't want to go back.

16. ktmay2

ktmay2 TDPRI Member

wow, thanks. why exactly were they put in the amp in the first place? can you still get a good distortion and clean sound from it? sorry, i may seem like a bit of a newbie.

17. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

His sound from which era? If there is one constant about The Edge, it's that his sound changes on each album.

18. mitch_m

mitch_m Tele-Holic

They were put in to add additional breakup. My ears didn't like it. The gain knob and the gain channel on the amp should be more than enough distortion that you would want from a Vox.

19. ktmay2

ktmay2 TDPRI Member

Good question. Mainly the 80s era, songs like bad and WTSHNN.

20. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

The pathfinder 15R is a great choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.