Will this be enough of a Laptop to run home recording?

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
My current desktop isn't powerful enough (only a Core 2 Duo) to run even GarageBand for multiple track recording/mixing so I'm going to get myself a used laptop so I can. Just wondering if what I am looking at will do the job.

I will be recording the tracks one at a time adding as I go. Biggest arrangements I think will be 2 guitar tacks, rhythm and lead with an additional over dub track a bass track, programmed drums a couple of midi instrument tracks 1 vocal and 1 backing vocal track so around 8 to 9 tracks at most.

I'm looking at using both Ableton and Logic for different projects.

I'll be going for a MacBook Pro as I need to use Apple for my other software (graphic design) so PC is out of the question. It'll have 16Gb of Ram, 512Gb SSD (plus an external 1TB SSD I currently have) the Processor I'm currently looking at is a Core i7-4770HQ 2.3Ghz, will this be good enough for the task?

Thanks for reading!

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
That should handle way more than you'll ever need.

I have an i7 Windows machine w/about the same specs, and it effortlessly runs 30+ tracks and all plug-ins, at 44.1/24-bit resolution, which is all you'll ever need.

Use a dedicated external drive for all your audio file storage. I've got a 1TB HDD that has probably a hundred projects on it and is not even half full. Also, be diligent about backing up to another drive, after every session. You'll learn this once, the hard way.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I'll be going for a MacBook Pro as I need to use Apple for my other software (graphic design) so PC is out of the question. It'll have 16Gb of Ram, 512Gb SSD (plus an external 1TB SSD I currently have) the Processor I'm currently looking at is a Core i7-4770HQ 2.3Ghz, will this be good enough for the task?
What MacBook are you getting? The Pro? For what you are doing the i7 is more than enough.

clayville

Tele-Meister
fwiw, my 2-3 year old MacBook Pro with 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 and 16Gb/512Gb is plenty horsey enough to do what you're looking to do and more.

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
That should handle way more than you'll ever need.

I have an i7 Windows machine w/about the same specs, and it effortlessly runs 30+ tracks and all plug-ins, at 44.1/24-bit resolution, which is all you'll ever need.

Use a dedicated external drive for all your audio file storage. I've got a 1TB HDD that has probably a hundred projects on it and is not even half full. Also, be diligent about backing up to another drive, after every session. You'll learn this once, the hard way.
Thanks for your reply that sounds really encouraging!

I'm a professional graphic designer, nobody is as nervous a backup merchants than us 🤣

Last edited:

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
For what it's worth, I use a 4-year-old 11.6 inch convertible PC laptop with a Celeron chip for recording things that are just a couple of tracks because it has no fan to make noise. It's perfectly usable and can manage decent enough latency that I can track without issue. Unless someone wanted to add weird synths, I bet money that I could make a simple acoustic record on it without any problem at all. It'd just be slow.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Look up the YouTube channel Intheblues. He shows a complete recording system using a cheap desktop $50-$100 ebay purchase, with ubuntustudio.org software. Besides recording, there is graphic design software on there too, all that has been used to create multi million dollar projects from movie special fx, book covers, and music.

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister

Look up the YouTube channel Intheblues. He shows a complete recording system using a cheap desktop $50-$100 ebay purchase, with ubuntustudio.org software. Besides recording, there is graphic design software on there too, all that has been used to create multi million dollar projects from movie special fx, book covers, and music.

As a professional graphic designer / illustrator in the UK it's not really possible to use anything other than Adobe CS and Corel Painter so for working on projects at home I need to use this software (already owned) hence why I needed to stay with Apple.

I really like Ableton and have a Lite version and Logic is something I really like the look of.

But it's great to see what can be achieved with very little. 🙌

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
As a professional graphic designer / illustrator in the UK it's not really possible to use anything other than Adobe CS and Corel Painter so for working on projects at home I need to use this software (already owned) hence why I needed to stay with Apple.

I really like Ableton and have a Lite version and Logic is something I really like the look of.

But it's great to see what can be achieved with very little. 🙌
I can relate to that! As a (now semi-retired) graphic designer, I run most of my programmes on a 2011 (refurbished) iMac which is not upgradable past its present High Sierra Mac OS. However that means I can still run GarageBand perfectly well. As a keen photographer I have Photoshop and Lightroom through my £10 a month Adobe Creative Suite subscription. Surprisingly I can also run my ancient but capable 3D programme C4D.
Annoyingly, I could not get my old copy of Illustrator CS3 to install on here (my main programme for many years)... fortunately, that still runs on my old clockwork 2008 iMac (which I gave up using for 2 years as the hard disk 'died' - although I did manage eventually to revive it, and it's still running)!
Good luck with the upgrades, hope it goes smoothly!