Will the Real Twisted Tele Pup Please Stand Up.............

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 53Strat, Jun 3, 2020.

1. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

I'm talking here about the Twisted Telecaster neck pickup.

Every so often the subject of favourite pickups comes up and almost always the Fender Twisted Tele pup enters the discussion. Some love them, others hate them and many simply don't know because they never had one to try.

In my experience , just like the famous Castrol advertisement, "oils ain't oils", Twisted Tele Pups are not all the same.

I've owned four Teles now with TT neck pups, 2006 Custom Classic, 2007 Custom Classic, 2017 Professional series fitted with CS Twisted Tele set in a Nashville arrangement and a Baja Tele.

The two CS guitars are more open and airey with a definite presence the others don't have. The CS set in my Nashville seem more compessed and not as "crisp" in attack, the Baja set are built somewhere else, have different leads and not quite the same output.

All share the Strat like tone which characterizes the design but they are to my ear quite different.
    Those factory fitted to my CS guitars are simply playing in a different league.

Anyone else find this?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I went with the CS TT on the neck of my MIM FSR mainly because of my experience with them on Baja models that I have played in stores. As I was searching for TTs, they do vary and there are plenty of imposters out there. Mine came in a little on the low side of output, but because of their mass produced quantities, they do ship out with quite a variance. Nevertheless, I really like mine with no plans to change it ... ever.

53Strat likes this.
  3. surf_jimi

surf_jimi TDPRI Member

I have two TT neck pickups installed in 2 American Series Teles and I don’t notice any difference. They both sound stratty and brighter than the Nocasters I had in them.

53Strat likes this.
  4. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

Yes, I must say they are my favourite neck pickups.

I recently swapped the Baja set for Lollar Vintage T's just to see what I was missing out on.
    The TT Neck does not take a back seat to the Lollars in any way and I will keep them at the top of my list.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.