Will Self Driving Cars Revive The Bar Scene?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unclefred, Mar 31, 2016.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Did you ever consider, our society might be awash with money, to make up for all the productivity and related losses that don't occur in the first place because there's that much less DUI?

I betcha the drain on our society from DUI is staggering. Without meaning to, you just made the best argument yet in favor of these dam cars. I won't like these cars no matter what, and maybe people will just find a new way to throw their work lives away (having been deprived of the most straightforward and common way of doing it) but a society with do DUI related losses is a well off society needing less intervention. The police officer could be counseling a young kid instead of spending his hours at work instead of stepping over fragments of bone and pools of human bodily fluids - measuring off the skidmarks for the "accident" report.

I'm editing to clarify: Talking about the economic loss from the driving while drunk, the driving and the wrecks, and not the economic expense/revenue from enforcement of DUI laws.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Chud likes this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's a well-worn ethical question about sacrificing a few for the good of the many.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about the bar scene but have insights to our future from the standpoint of average and fancy.

My Subaru "EyeSight" system is crude autonomous driving and safety. My cousin's Tesla has lots of technology getting us there. Just what my relatively common person's car does tells me we'll have a different future.

I've lived with the features long enough to know it would have likely saved a family member who was killed in an accident when someone else messed up. Even the crude technology shipping now is better than most drivers I encounter each day.

PacificChris and Chud like this.
  4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh..... image.jpeg

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mayor of Los Angeles was in a self-driving Volvo with the Volvo CEO, but the car was struggling to see the lane lines and road signs. The flustered Volvo CEO blurted out "You need to paint the bloody roads here!".

Maybe we should look at slot car technology? But then, mine were always flying out of the slots...

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

The motorman's switch is an ethical dilemma where the motorman has to choose to flip a switch that will kill 1 person or not to flip the switch and let 6 people die. The ethical premise is that either by his action or inaction he is responsible for 1 person or 6 people dying. There's your greater good premise.

The premise here is not about sacrificing 5000 to save 20000 (using your numbers), it's about reducing potential deaths by implementing new technology that will eventually be substantially safer. The only ethical dilemma that could come about is if the technology isn't implemented once it is ready and proven safer.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this one I think. ;)

7. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

I´m gonna Love This!

"Take me home, James!"

goonie likes this.
  8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

How much will these things cost ?

Can someone afford to go to bars and make their car payment ?

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's going to be great for pedestrians when there are driverless cars on the roads. They'll be able to step out in front of any car (doing slow city-speeds) they like.

Which will infuriate the car's passengers, most likely.

tery likes this.
  10. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

Uber is a self driving car.

11. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm especially going to enjoy pretending to step out in front of a driverless car just to watch its passengers lurch forward into their seatbelts. Boy oh boy people will have fun teasing the robot revolution. Until the 'bots get guns, that is...

12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So . . . . are they going to have self driving police cars too ?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

AS a bar owner, I hope so....

unclefred likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

The crooks will rob the bank, jump in the getaway car and the car will re-direct them to the police station, pull up close and the doors of the car will lock 'em in automatically.

tery likes this.
  15. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

This is starting to sound like Minority Report.

16. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

That lucrative revenue is a pittance compared to the massive cost to the gubmint of fixing the damage, both self-inflicted and to other persons and property, wrought by drunk drivers.

17. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Well, of course you do.

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I hope so. It's quite often when I see them among the most distracted drivers. I've been behind and next to modern police cars where they have the laptop computer mounted next to them, a smart phone in hand, and are also talking on their two-way police radios.

With or without the technology there have been some bad accidents caused by police officers, ambulances and fire trucks rushing to a scene.

tery likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

Perfect means to carjack the person driving the car you need to steal to fill that order to Columbia or Ukraine. Step out in front of the car, and the driver tries to proceed around the crook but the car wants to just stop.

In the USA market, Daimler Benz has a commercial where a large stove appears in the road and the Mercedes heroically comes to an abrupt stop. Two serious issues:

A) The car following the Mercedes does not have this system and is going to rear end the Mercedes with a mighty blow. Most everyone knows the human body (as passenger) tolerates crashing into things far far better than it tolerates being crashed into (especially from behind). All those annihilated cervical and lumbar discs (the thoracic ones seem to do OK), all the stenosis, all the surgery - you don't really want to avoid hitting that stove when you can clearly see the driver behind you is not responding. You wanna hit it and knock it out of the way, if you can't slip around it. Let the moron in the jacked up Rollin' Coal GMC hit the stove instead of you;

B) The crooked hooligans who shoved the stove out of their stolen F-250 into your path WANT you to stop so they can kidnap your wife and kids. You're supposed to be using the skills you learned from Bob Bondurant or Derek Daly to get around the stove and get away.. Nobody at MB wants to talk about this since 96% of their customers have no such specialized driver training. Which is a shame since if they can find the time, 96% of MB owners could afford the expert driver training courses and most would benefit greatly.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It'll be cool to watch a police chase on Chicago P.D. with Roman and Burgess making out in the back seat as their car chases the bad guys. The bad guys are having a big mac and playing gin rummy.

tery likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.