Will Retailers Be Able To Unload Their Clipped Headstock Epiphones?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems like Epiphone stole the show at NAMM at least in the "affordable" guitar segment, their new headstocks seem to be a big hit. Personally, I think it's a lot better and really looks great on the ebony LPC (which also now has an ebony board instead of rosewood),

Will retailers have to give away the remaining stock of the old style Epi Les Pauls? Will the old style headstocks weirdly become sought after by people some years down the road? Also, not just the headstocks have changed, they have really upgraded everything on these new Les Pauls from the nuts to the wiring and pots and switches and for the time being, pre-order price for the LPC is the exact same price at the current LPC-PRO.

JayFreddy likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's a zillion Asian-origin Epis of all types and models available. None of them are likely to be collected or sought except bang for buck items. US made ones like US made Gretsches will command more dollars new and secondhand. Old models will just get blown out like superceded car models.

JL_LI and Fretting out like this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

There are no US made Gretsches except a handful of top tier very expensive CS ones. The standard top line ones are all made in Japan. And currently there's only one US made Epiphone, the new Texan. All the Masterbilts are made overseas, except that one.
    Unless you're talking about vintage Epis and Gretsches, which were US made.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Nick Fanis likes this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The headstock shape has zero importance to me when buying an Epiphone. I actually look for other things, like comfort, playability, tuning stability, and sound quality.

Kebmel, stormsedge, schmee and 9 others like this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This! Don’t have one right now, but I’ve played some great ones. If I were to buy one, it would be because I wanted a good Epi, not because I wanted a cheap Gibson alternative.

stevemc, cyclopean and Mad Kiwi like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe someone will play something that sounds great on one in a youtube video years from now leading them to become highly sought after?

I'll just keep mine hidden in the wardrobe until that day comes.:lol:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    2 Headed Goat and DrPepper like this.
  7. mkdaws32

Sounds like they made some nice upgrades like Fender did with the MIM Player Series - only with without the big price hike. That’s pretty cool.

8. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

I like the new shape better.

But a good deal the old ones wouldn't stop me either.

Dan German likes this.
  9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Yes, there are some very cool things about the new Epis, with the new headstock shape being the least important.

jvin248 and mkdaws32 like this.
  10. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I hope so, I've played some pretty good Epiphones and wouldn't mind grabbing a blowout for the right deal. But as you say, they have upgraded most everything. It will be really interesting to watch this new wave of Epiphones to hit the streets.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

For an extra couple of bucks they should have lacquered them and weight relieved them. It's the poly and sub par veneer flame tops and heavy weight that irk me the most about epi's. The new headstock does look better but it's still a little funky looking compared to a Gibson. They obviously kept it just funky enough to prompt people to buy a Gibson down the track.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nobody wanted any of the SF Fender amps for the first couple of years, then they became accepted as the red headed step child, then some became collectible enough that we post for days identifying a single amp from the first of that unwanted series.
    Black line drip edge sort of like Peavey Bandits with whatever makes them desirable maybe teal on the panel.
    Or MIJ Squiers that were a hundred bucks used.

Fickle bunch we are, who knows?

drf64 and mkdaws32 like this.
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

They'll probably just try to sell them at low to moderate discount, then wait and see. But sure, if you wait long enough, maybe a deal will be available.

14. mkdaws32

People will want those upgrades - especially at the same price point. The sum of al the changes will make it harder to sell older stock once the general guitar buying public catches on, i suppose.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That’s just crazy talk!

As soon as I saw the Epiphone changes (new headstock, apparently moving away from the lower-end models), I went on Clearance Watch. I sincerely hope the old stock becomes unwanted, because then I can get a good deal.

Rev Rhythm, jvin248 and DougM like this.
  16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I know with respect to CS Gretsches being pricier new and used. That's what I mean. The Japanese ones will hold a premium over Korean Electromatics which in turn hold theirs over the MIC. Fender is just applying the Fender guitar business model.

I mean the book shaped headstock may devalue older Epis but that happens anyway with age and new models coming along anyway.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Most people out there, especially those buying Epiphones, don't really care about crap like that. So, no; I don't think there will be a glut of old stock lingering on retailer shelves.

18. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My buddy used to work at the Gibson custom shop, and said that if for whatever reason, a guitar didn’t meet qc standards, they would often cut the corners off the headstock and rebrand it an Epi Masterbilt. Don’t know how to verify, but if it’s true, now they have even less work to do.

19. Coachmoe

Coachmoe TDPRI Member

I like the new Juniors and Specials. They would work great as slide guitars in open tunings.

20. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Some online big stores are discounting various models. Is this going to be easy, or fast?

I’ve wondered that myself-given the warm reception fir the new style headstock. I’m still waiting for one photo that shows both new, and old, side by side.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.