Will removing neck be wise?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

DISCLAIMER 1:

To all my truly appreciated Forum Members, please forgive all the newbie questions I ask :)

I LOVE the way my Tele sound and feels!

For whatever insane reason I might want to do so, if I carefully remove the neck, and carefully put it back on, will the guitar still sound and feel the same?

DISCLAIMER 2:

Every time I change pickups, pickguards, shield cavities, polish frets, adjust action and intonation, etc., I strangely feel like that bonds me closer to the guitar (it's like the guitar becomes a part of my family) :)

nojazzhere, shupe13 and EsquireBoy like this.
  2. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Taking off the neck isn't a big deal if you use common sense. Be careful as you remove it, not to lever it and damage the paint around the pocket. If it has a shim in there, make note of where it is and either leave it alone or put it back the same way. Don't overtighten the screws when you reinstall. They don't need to be super tight, just snug them up securely without going crazy. When you remove them, pay attention to how tight they are and reinstall them the same way later.
    I would do them in a stages where you do them only until you only meet resistance, then do them one by one little by little for the final tighten.
    Be careful not to slip and ding your finish! This is the type of operation where stuff like that can happen.

3. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

After you put the neck back on:

Tighten the strings to tune
    Loosen the four neck bolts 1/4 turn each
    Tighten the neck bolts back up
    Retune the guitar

This will snug the neck into the pocket and help ensure it is straight.

gwjensen, Deeve, Fendereedo and 4 others like this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

If it ain't broke don't fix it

IOW if there isn't a pressing need to remove it, leave it alone

My Strat is my oldest guitar . Bought it new in 2000. Neck has never been removed, there's never been a reason to and I really dont care what's stamped on the end of it

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    2 Headed Goat and Fendereedo like this.
  5. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep. No biggie, just follow LKB3rds advice above. While I don't hesitate a neck off while building or setting up, I also don't if there is no reason.

Eric

6. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

There’s nothing wrong with taking off the neck, some models require you to do so in order to adjust the truss rod.

But don’t just take it off for the sake of taking it off. Only do it if you have a specific need to do so.

stratoman1 likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It might sound better after cleaning up the stickers and rough paint that's left in most factory neck pockets. After removing you get to reseat it like someone who cares about it too rather than a random production worker that's counting the clock until lunch break or home time.

Jackadder and Fendereedo like this.
  8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

I was ALWAYS going to be careful :)

I just want to know if after doing so, will the guitar still feel and sound the same?

9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Wait.... are you saying you don't completely dismantle every guitar you buy? :eek:

How are you going to learn about guitars then? :)

Deeve and Steve Holt like this.
  10. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Tele's are pretty indestructible. I have a friend who would capo on the first fret, loosen the strings a bit, unbolt the neck and put the whole guitar in a standard backpack. He preferred this to carrying a gig bag. It took about 5 minutes to assemble and tune up, and he'd be good to go. No problems at all. So I think You'll be fine.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I took the neck off my guitar and now it sounds totally different.

If only I could remember where I put the neck, I could replace it!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Erebia, Deeve, Switchy and 3 others like this.
  12. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

It should feel and sound the same as long as you don't bork it up and install the neck crooked or something.
    Which reminds me, it is possible to bump the neck back and forth slightly with the screws slightly loose, to align it if it ends up with the strings not centered properly. Some neck pockets will have more play, some will be tight, so if your neck pocket is tight, it might not move back and forth much if at all. You could check this and do it if needed during the procedure described under my first post(by wrvond).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Steve Holt likes this.
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Total F nuts when a gig bag will suffice but I suppose he was happy

Telecentric and telemnemonics like this.
  14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

It may sound and/or feel a tad different just after having put the neck back on. Just the time the two pieces of wood find their balance back when pressing against each other. IME it can take as long as a few hours. But after that, like everyone said, you should find your old friend back.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Only if you screw something up!

I'll add to the various suggestions for method, bear in mind that just as a nut has threads cut in it that a bolt threads into, the wood screws have cut threads into the neck heel and you need to align the screws with those existing threads rather than cut new threads which leads to weakening and eventual stripping of the screw holes.

Put each screw in and gently turn it backwards until you feel it drop into the threads.
    Tighten it just a few turns and repeat until all four screws are threaded.
    Then tighten them all snug and finally tighten them all fully.

The suggestion to then string up and loosen the screws a little so the heel pulls tight into the pocket is also good, and you might end up feeling that the guitar is a little better after your little reassembly project.

gwjensen and wrvond like this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to take the train between Boston and NYC often, carrying a backpack with a small bodied travel guitar I put together using a Schecter Tele neck a customer traded me for guitar repairs.
    Facing some rainy weather I cut a rifle case in half and covered the exposed part of the neck with the zippered bag.

Of course I was immediately accosted by travel personnel who wanted to know about my firearm!

I think working as a guitar tech I found more damaged Fender and F style guitars were the result of hobby fixing, and not as many were broken playing music. Stripped neck screw holes are pretty common when a guitar has been owned by a tinkerer.
    OTOH old Fenders that didn't get much tinkering generally have perfectly good neck screw threads

17. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I took the neck of my Nashville deluxe Tele. I wanted to see the dates.

When I put it back on the strings were flat against the neck. I felt sick.

I got similar advice to your first answer except when you put it in you have to sort of slot it in. I did so and a beautiful guitar returned to me.

So should you? Probably not? Will you notice a difference? If done properly, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.