Will I like a U shaped neck on the NoCaster or a 1952-59 Telecaster

HighlonesomeF5

TDPRI Member
To me all necks should be of a late 60’s 70’s U shape and I don’t have large hands, I just enjoy necks with lots of shoulder that fill the palm and makes a comfortable grip for the hand eliminating cramping. Skinny necks to me equals cramping.
I’ve never played a 59 reissue Les Paul but I have a 57 reissue and I’d say that that’s the closest a Gibson will come to feeling like a fender U although fenders usually tend to feel just a little less substantial

Small hands here. Would love to see your hand position. Wondering what I am doing wrong. Could you post a pic.

Last edited:

Irondog

Tele-Meister
The American Original 50s has a huge U. Those should be pretty easy to find
perfect!

I thought they stopped making those,
but the big flagship store has one in sstock tonight available immediately.
I'll probably drive up there this weekend and check it out.
it sure does have a lot of good specifications,

I really like the tall frets. As well

Fender American original 50s telecaster Neck
  • Neck shape: '52 U
  • Neck wood: 1-piece Maple
  • Joint: Bolt-on
  • Scale length: 25.5 in.
  • Truss rod: Yes
  • Neck finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose
thanks for all of that advice.

I have a feeling I might like cabbage:)

Rufustelestrats

Tele-Holic
Ok would you like cottonelle? Perhaps you like lotion in your toilet paper. I have no idea what you like. I will tell you to be fair, If, and only if, you like large necks it is larger than small. I like larger but unless I am the amazing Karnack i cannot predict what you would like. If you don't know make sure you can return it within the approved time. Other wise send it to me and I will test it for an indefinate time, while riding my cycle and eating homemade guacamole

thesjkexperienc

Tele-Holic
I’ve slowly started reshaping all my U shaped necks to V shape. As I am getting some arthritis going in my hands the V shape keeps a lot of wood for my big hands, but it eases the stretch on my thumb for great comfort.

doc w

Tele-Afflicted
It’s a totally personal thing. I’ve got tiny hands and a big old Nocaster U neck is the most comfortable to me. Thin necks make my hand cramp.

I have average to smallish hands and my experience is the same as Shnook. I played a very thin neck Gibson for years and as I got older, I found that it caused my hand to really cramp up. Around that time, I put together a parts caster with an Eric Johnson soft V neck and it was the exact opposite. Very comfortable even though it was much bigger, and no cramping. It was quite a revelation to me. Counter-intuitive even.

I also have a 1952 Les Paul which never played a lot except for slide because of the the stupid bridge and the weird neck angle on that year of production, which made the action way too high. Anyway, a good guitar tech I know changed the bridge so I can play it as a normal guitar. The neck on the 1952 is very thick - a big U - and I just LOVE it now that I can play it properly.

To answer your more specific question on the Custom Shop Tele U neck, I played one of those fairly recently - but fat U neck - and it was great. Just like the Les Paul. Too expensive for me but it was a really nice guitar.

I know that it is crazy to say that the bigger neck is more comfortable, but that really is the case with me (and lots of others in this thread).

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
I've played guitar for over 45 years now...37 of those I've owned the Strat in my avatar which has quite a thin neck. Every 'new' Fender I've bought in recent years has been based off the spec of my Strat as I knew I felt comfortable with it.

However, due to some occasional hand problems I thought I'd take a gamble on a Fat U neck on a partscaster project. It's MIM neck and I got a very good deal, so not expensive gamble in the end...turns out it really suits my hand (and I have very small hands). I still swap to my other guitars and settle in after a few minutes of playing, but I think having a variety of different necks/radius/widths seems to help with my hand problems.

I maybe wouldn't have taken a gamble on a CS guitar (at least not without playing it for a long time in the shop first), but trying something outside my perceived comfort zone seems to have paid off.

Gretev1

Tele-Meister
Here are some sideview pictures of a Nocaster neck. The measurements can vary but tend to be .990 at 1st fret - 1.00“ at 12th fret
The Nocaster neck is super chunky. Personally, it is the fattest neck in depth that I have ever played. Gibson Les Pauls 57, 58, 59 often have chunky necks. The Nocaster is deeper and has more shoulder than any Gibson neck I have ever played. It is also not comparable to any other Fender necks. Mostly because it is a true „U“ shape with steep shoulders. Many other fat necks have a „C“ shape or even a „U“ shape but with less steep shoulders than a Nocaster. The Nocasters measurement fall down straight quite a while before it starts rounding off.
Another chunky Fender neck is the 54 Stratocaster U shape neck. The Nocaster is chunkier and has more shoulders.
I can understand that this neck could require some getting used to. Many people love them.
I personally like it but I like a wide variety of necks from slim taper all the way to Nocaster and I have large hands so I can hang with anything.

Attachments

• 46281DDD-8E61-49F7-9685-3E2B3675C67F.jpeg
    46281DDD-8E61-49F7-9685-3E2B3675C67F.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 85AA6E19-009F-4B86-B8CD-994701AB9A11.jpeg
    85AA6E19-009F-4B86-B8CD-994701AB9A11.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DC6929D8-EEB6-44EB-8623-F97864A67958.jpeg
    DC6929D8-EEB6-44EB-8623-F97864A67958.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 11
  • BF27E940-92B9-4C41-9EAF-7871D66FA8F2.jpeg
    BF27E940-92B9-4C41-9EAF-7871D66FA8F2.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 11

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
I swapped out all the necks on my Fenders to Allparts Fats. I did sand a little bit off the Tele neck, but the rest are stock U profile. I love 'em.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
U-shaped neck with rolled edges is a really nice combo.

I have a Strat with what I think they call a D-shape, rolled edges and compound radius. Probably the nicest neck I've ever played on a Fender.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
You'd think, but no. I have not seen one in the wild. Many places tell me "You have to custom order it, and if you don't like it, we can reimburse your charge." It seems silly to put $2K on a credit card to try out a guitar.

Maybe others have seen them - I have not.
Fender sells the necks by themselves as an aftermarket neck option. I have one sitting right in front of me as I type this.