Will I like a U shaped neck on the NoCaster or a 1952-59 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Irondog, Sep 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Small hands here. Would love to see your hand position. Wondering what I am doing wrong. Could you post a pic.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

perfect!

I thought they stopped making those,
    but the big flagship store has one in sstock tonight available immediately.
    I'll probably drive up there this weekend and check it out.
    it sure does have a lot of good specifications,

I really like the tall frets. As well

Fender American original 50s telecaster Neck
    • Neck shape: '52 U
    • Neck wood: 1-piece Maple
    • Joint: Bolt-on
    • Scale length: 25.5 in.
    • Truss rod: Yes
    • Neck finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose
    thanks for all of that advice.

I have a feeling I might like cabbage:)

ifallalot likes this.
  3. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Ok would you like cottonelle? Perhaps you like lotion in your toilet paper. I have no idea what you like. I will tell you to be fair, If, and only if, you like large necks it is larger than small. I like larger but unless I am the amazing Karnack i cannot predict what you would like. If you don't know make sure you can return it within the approved time. Other wise send it to me and I will test it for an indefinate time, while riding my cycle and eating homemade guacamole

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

I’ve slowly started reshaping all my U shaped necks to V shape. As I am getting some arthritis going in my hands the V shape keeps a lot of wood for my big hands, but it eases the stretch on my thumb for great comfort.

5. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

I have average to smallish hands and my experience is the same as Shnook. I played a very thin neck Gibson for years and as I got older, I found that it caused my hand to really cramp up. Around that time, I put together a parts caster with an Eric Johnson soft V neck and it was the exact opposite. Very comfortable even though it was much bigger, and no cramping. It was quite a revelation to me. Counter-intuitive even.

I also have a 1952 Les Paul which never played a lot except for slide because of the the stupid bridge and the weird neck angle on that year of production, which made the action way too high. Anyway, a good guitar tech I know changed the bridge so I can play it as a normal guitar. The neck on the 1952 is very thick - a big U - and I just LOVE it now that I can play it properly.

To answer your more specific question on the Custom Shop Tele U neck, I played one of those fairly recently - but fat U neck - and it was great. Just like the Les Paul. Too expensive for me but it was a really nice guitar.

I know that it is crazy to say that the bigger neck is more comfortable, but that really is the case with me (and lots of others in this thread).

Irondog likes this.
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've played guitar for over 45 years now...37 of those I've owned the Strat in my avatar which has quite a thin neck. Every 'new' Fender I've bought in recent years has been based off the spec of my Strat as I knew I felt comfortable with it.

However, due to some occasional hand problems I thought I'd take a gamble on a Fat U neck on a partscaster project. It's MIM neck and I got a very good deal, so not expensive gamble in the end...turns out it really suits my hand (and I have very small hands). I still swap to my other guitars and settle in after a few minutes of playing, but I think having a variety of different necks/radius/widths seems to help with my hand problems.

I maybe wouldn't have taken a gamble on a CS guitar (at least not without playing it for a long time in the shop first), but trying something outside my perceived comfort zone seems to have paid off.

Irondog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.