Will I like a U shaped neck on the NoCaster or a 1952-59 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Irondog, Sep 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

as I sell my last Les Paul,

I'm considering some telecaster custom shop relics, that look very attractive.

I have a custom shop 63 relic, which is super fantastic I like (love) everything about it. lightweight Alder
    C- shape neck rosewood board.

I thought I might like to try a lightweight SwampAsh with the U-neck Maple fretboard.

so as I'm picking through dozens and dozens of options,

I pretty much decided that I need to try one before I buy it.
    I really don't think I want to buy one and send it back.
    my local guitar center didn't seem to have more than 3 telecaster's.
    So I can go to the bigger one if I drive 15 minutes longer.
    That has a ton of fender. I just don't see very many of them with the U-shaped neck.
    I have never experienced one. Perhaps it's similar to a 59 Les Paul?

so I guess the question is which telecasters have a U-neck, and can I find it in a guitar center.
    I've done some reasonable homework, read the Fender technical page on neck shapes,

I laughed out loud, when I imagined myself asking the guitar center salesman "can you show me a telecaster with a vintage 50's U shaped neck"?
    well sir, we have this squire 50's Stratocaster over here you might like. oh thanks! hahahaha

I probably would be okay with it size wise, I have reasonably large hands, but it does look like it's a bit weird and it went out of fashion in the 60s, to return with vintage flavored items. so, many players don't like it I hear.
    What are some reasons I might bond with it
    what are some reasons I might not like it?
    appreciate any insight thanks.
    [​IMG]

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

The ‘69-spec thinlines are of course light and tend to have have a pretty fat U neck in maple.

Irondog and Fretting out like this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you like the 59 neck you will LOVE the classic nocaster U shaped neck .
    But without actually playing it you will never know.

p.s. Hand size has nothing to do with whether you like a fat neck or not,I have small hands and LOVE a fat neck.

4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

This question is like me asking you "will I like cabbage?".

5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The thickest U I have is on my Triple Caster, I refuse to purchase another (U shaped neck). I come from playing thin D Gibson's in my youth (about 20 years) and have recent acquired a newfound taste for Soft V necks all the while forever enjoying Modern C, thin slim D's and such....U's not so much.

It's a personal thing. Kinda like "cabbage" ^^^^
    IMG_20180130_200736 (1).jpg
    Good

1-3658789474041900676.jpg
    not so good!

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

To me all necks should be of a late 60’s 70’s U shape and I don’t have large hands, I just enjoy necks with lots of shoulder that fill the palm and makes a comfortable grip for the hand eliminating cramping. Skinny necks to me equals cramping.
    I’ve never played a 59 reissue Les Paul but I have a 57 reissue and I’d say that that’s the closest a Gibson will come to feeling like a fender U although fenders usually tend to feel just a little less substantial

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Some of the made in Mexico 72 reissues also have a pretty nice late 60’s U shape

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

The U neck on my '72 Thinline RI is very comfortable and bigger than a modern C.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

The American Original 50s has a huge U. Those should be pretty easy to find

Clifton C and Fretting out like this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Only you can know but def try first. 15 min drive is nothing to get this right

11. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

I had a nocaster with a massive U shaped neck. All that mass made it sound great. I eventually settled on another nocaster with a soft V. You gotta try them.

12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

My main guitar is 2012 AV 52 and the neck on it is fantastic. It's a nice handful that is great for chording and the rolled edged make it very comfortable. Playing solos is almost effortless. You'll find a bit of variance between some models though. I've played some broadcasters and nocasters that had necks there were almost comically deep in their U but with much smaller shoulders than my 52. I've also played some that were closer to early 60s shape. I'd say try to get your hands on as many as you can before you buy.

mcfm2n likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Remember : the “fattest” (worthless word when talking about necks IMO) Tele neck will still be narrower width-wise than your LP.

But the true 1” deep U-shaped Tele necks puts your hand in a different position than a shallow neck does so they seem wider than they actually are.

bender66 and archetype like this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

You'd think, but no. I have not seen one in the wild. Many places tell me "You have to custom order it, and if you don't like it, we can reimburse your charge." It seems silly to put $2K on a credit card to try out a guitar.

Maybe others have seen them - I have not.

ifallalot likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I have average sized hands. I had a dream last night where it was generally agreed that I am an average guitar player. Just average.

I've played a bunch of different necks over the last 50 years. I can't say I have a strong preference for one over another. It's not required to have an allergy to certain neck shapes. I understand that people do and that's fine, but people were playing all kinds of necks prior to the rise of internet knowledge. Does ice cream make your butt look big?

I do have a James Burton Standard telecaster, MIM, which I like a lot. It has a U-shaped neck. Came that way. I like it plenty.

But no one knows whether you're going to like it or not, except you. Go forth and try.

Pechorin likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You were a half-hour ahead of me. :D The James Burton Standard neck is a U-profile with just a bit of shoulder, but a medium size. It's not as deep as the 50s U-profile, but works well for my fretting hand. They were discontinued a year or two ago, but still found used. People buy them just for the necks.

DanDII and teletimetx like this.
  17. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I agree with the pro-U-ers here, in that beefiness allows you lots of leveraging against the neck, so your fingering actually has more flexibility. I have average-sized hands, but always found modern C necks constrainingly dainty. I long wanted an electric's neck to be like the beefy one on the Martin D-21 that I grew up playing. When I went to boat tails, '59's, U's, chunky D's, etc., my electric playing got a lot more fluid and exploring.

That's just me, of course. But I do find that more people learn they really prefer beefier necks than thinner necks. Definitely might be an adjustment, though. When I switch from my relatively shallow D guitar or a beefy C to either of my U guitars, it's a good 10 minutes until the U groove has taken hold.

Hope it works out for you, either way.

drlucky likes this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just wish Fender would take a chance since they make a more or less 1 11/16 wide neck already (at least they used to with the American standard*) and offer a Nocaster profile/depth with that width.

*Is there still an American standard or is it called something else?

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have lots of theories as to what dimensions a guitar body should have for me to like it, neck dimensions, scale length, weight, the works.

All of that went down the drain once I played guitars that didn't fit that and I liked them.

20. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

It’s a totally personal thing. I’ve got tiny hands and a big old Nocaster U neck is the most comfortable to me. Thin necks make my hand cramp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.