1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Will I electrocute myself if I take an amp apart?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by F6_FullMelt, Jul 18, 2010.

1. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Unless you are dumb enough to grab the power switch on the inside before you unplug it, it will not hurt you..

2. F6_FullMelt

F6_FullMelt Tele-Holic

Thanks blue.

I am going to take it apart today.

See you tomorrow!

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

We hope.

4. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Yeah. The 22 volts that power the op amps in that beast can be a real killer. :rolleyes:

I think it is safe to assume the OP won't be taking the amp apart while he is taking a shower. :lol:

5. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Don't break anything. ;)

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

I dunno the power amp in those that T0-220 cased TDA 2030 is a total flamethrower. The things can be vicious.

7. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Haven't heard back from the OP since 4:30 yesterday. Hope he is OK. :eek:

8. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

Well, at least we'll know who to blame!! ^^^^^
    ;):p

9. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

10. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

The reason why my grandad had very few fingers left. Always creeped me out how he'd lost his finger tips. Imagine the current and voltage necessary to do that, surprised he lived into his 90s.

11. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Did your grandfather work on a lot of 15 watt solid state amps? ;)

12. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Hey, I warned him not to work on it in the shower. :lol:

13. F6_FullMelt

F6_FullMelt Tele-Holic

Hey, sorry guys.

It was so boring in that amp I forgot all about this.

I am still curious about moving around other amp parts and stuff but I suppose the first step would be getting a soldering iron.

14. TeleV

TeleV Tele-Holic

Sorry I'm not trying to be a smartass but do you have a plan in mind for when you get your soldering iron and get back into the amp? I mean have you read about and studied mods for this amp?

Based on your first post and your thread question it doesn't sound like you have the experience to come up with your own modifications so I'm confused about exactly what you plan to do once you take the back off.

15. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Its called a "learning experience". What better amp to learn about things than a cheap Squire? He's not butchering an orignal BF Twin Reverb for gosh sakes. :rolleyes:

Instead of criticizing or questioning the OP, maybe your time would be better spent offering him help and suggestions on where to learn more about amps and what can be done to mod them.

16. MikeS29

MikeS29 Tele-Meister

Well, I think that went well...

17. saradilc

saradilc Former Member

Scary to read the replies in this topic knowing I have opened up a Marshall amplifier before selling it to check out a buzzing noise! It was a Valvestate 2000 combo amp :eek:

I took that thing completely apart. I won't be doing that again :/!!

18. F6_FullMelt

F6_FullMelt Tele-Holic

It's all good, perhaps I was not clear enough. Soldering iron issue, unrelated: I have thought for some time now, and have been advised by a friend, that getting a soldering iron and learning how to use it is paramount in the process of learning how to do everything you want done to your guitar. I want to try new pickups, move switches, you know - do fun stuff while learning how to do important stuff well. It would also be the first step in learning about the cool things that amps can do.

I doubt there are any "mods" for this amp, it is a cheap old SS amp. Then again I would not know, you are correct in assuming my lack of experience with these things. I certainly could not come up with a mod of my own, I would not even know where to begin.

I thought I mentioned the thought having crossed my mind that it would be cool to stick whatever makes my microcube amp's innards into this amp's box. This would give me some experience, and it just doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do.

Sorry if I am crossing into territory that only certain cool kids are allowed to roam freely. You guys don't seem too psyched to have a curious young grasshopper taking things apart. I use caution in doing what I know needs to be done carefully.

19. F6_FullMelt

F6_FullMelt Tele-Holic

+1
    I like this approach to caring about what I am doing haha.

For me, everything has worked out quite well. I know that the inside of this amp is boring, but I am looking forward to thinking about not boring amplifier boxes. Someday I want to be able to make guitars and amplifiers so I can give them to all of my friends and to kids as gifts. Step one, this.

20. TeleV

TeleV Tele-Holic

Relax...:eek:

Not criticizing or saying anything about butchering an amp...just questioning the OP to get a better understanding of his intentions.

I just fail to see how opening the back of a SS amp and looking at a pcb and components is going to teach anybody anything.

Sorry carry on...I'll go away :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.