1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Will Humbuckers fit in a 72 Thinline Tele with Widerange pups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by branbolio, Nov 28, 2020.

1. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

I’m thinking of getting a 72 Thinkine style body routed for stock vintage wide range pickups but want to put PAF hum pickups instead. Will Humbuckers fit fine in the routes with no problems besides needing a pickguard cut for them?

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Your only real concern will be the depth at which it is routed, some humbuckers mounts have 'long legs' where the adjusting screws go. If you ask your tech to make sure they are deep enough, you should have no issues otherwise, except for the pickguard as you noted.

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

My '73 has those pickups. For what it's worth, the cut-outs for them in the pick guard are 3-1/8" x 1-3/4".

4. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

it would be a guitarmill body using vintage route specs. Have no good tech here where I live. I setup my own guitars. Just want to get something ready to go for this next build. If hums don’t fit without altering I’ll just go with cheap Fender wide range or even Strat pups

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a 72 Deluxe RI that I'm considering removing the WRHB's and replacing with standard buckers.

I've looked at a Warmoth pickguard cut for HB's. And installing more traditional HB's.

All should fit fine. Quite a few HB's come with shorter leg options.

Before I do a swap, I'm going to replace the 250k pots with 500k's.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya..need to get the router out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.