Will heavy metal ever return?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Black metal as in Mayhem / Darkthrone / Emperor has only continued to evolve since the early 90s. Now days there is some awesomely conceptual and dramatic and wildly theatrical black metal. Some call it DPBM (depressive black metal - although zero about it is depressing to me) and there are keyboards and orchestras. My favorites are the really crap ultra lo-fi stuff like Woods of Desolation, Xasthur, I Shalt Become, Striborg, Annorkoth, Sombres Forets, etc.

What makes it palatable to me is that the feeling it evokes is pain, not anger. I can really relate to the pain, but anger metal is super boring. I find about 99% of metal is about anger...

SolidSteak and Steve 78 like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No, I forbid it!
    Bwa ha ha!

StrangerNY and fendertx like this.
  3. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Metal, like many other styles/genres will be around forever. As was mentioned, heaps of the older bands still tour and pack out venues. New bands are out there, and if they’re decent enough, they will fill their respective sized venues.

I don’t get out and about in the music scene down here these days, but there’s still a pretty healthy Metal scene going on from what I’ve read. Our top drawer act atm by the name of Devilskin play all over the world, and pack out venues everywhere when they drop back here to NZ. Dedicated muso’s too - fronted by a female vocalist, a bass player in his mid 50’s (used to know him back in the day!), a mid 40’s guitarist, and one of those guys sons plays the skins!

If any of you true Metal fans out there happen to catch their name at any upcoming local gigs - go check ‘em out. ;)

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe it's a book about how he keeps getting things wrong. :D

5. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I only like metal with people that can really sing, preferably with operatic vocal range and not so much thrashy or fast paced guitar that sounds like it's been electronically synced to a metronome, not too dark or aggressive. So I just listen to all the old British bands I always have. Modern metal that people often post just doesn't press any of my buttons. I quite like Nightwish vocals but not so much the guitars, if it's anything new I mostly still listen to new stuff by old favourites like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc.

6. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

There are metal shows all of the time here in Portland. Probably a few a week. I can’t really stand the stuff myself.

7. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I have to admit, I'm not across the newer black metal bands but in the late 90s/2000s I was really into bands like Satyricon, Burzum, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir (who I saw recently), Abigor, Setherial. Back then I played in a black metal band for a couple of years. It wasn't about pain for me, rather atmosphere, escapism, transcendence, and empowerment to some extent. If someone came to my show I wanted them to forget they were in pub, holding a beer watching some musos and go to somewhere else, a whole different headspace. Whether I was successful or not, well... In any case, everyone reacts to art differently.

8. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I think you have a very valid point here. There was a time when metal just used to be metal but now there are so many different sub genres its ridiculous. And this doesn't just apply to Metal but a lot of music. It must make it much harder to keep up with and follow.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

10. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

As far as the non-pop/mainstream genres, I'd say it's doing better than most. I mainly go to metal and hard rock shows nowadays, and they all sell out the mid-sized venues in my area. So it's basically the same as it was when I was growing up. Metal and hard rock festivals are still big. I would say it's doing very well as far as rock genres go. I don't know if there will be as many huge charting albums as there was for a period in the 90's again, but that applies to a lot of rock genres.

There are killer hard rock bands out there. I am going to see Graveyard with Uncle Acid next week. I think people who dig 70's hard rock and early metal would like them.

duzie and fendertx like this.
  11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

SDBM (or DSBM), suicidal depressive black metal is not that popular. There are few concerts, mostly just recordings, even if it's been around for more than a decade.

Stuff like Emperor, Mayhem and Darkthrone is pretty popular, I saw a kid in the metro with a bunch of patches a couple of days ago.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Yeah the suburban malls are kind of a thing of the past. There are one or two I know of in bigger cities that do really well and you'll see kids at but nothing like when we were kids.

14. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Tangentially, if you haven't seen "Heavy Metal Parking Lot," you should take 16 minutes right now and remedy that situation. This is what the old days were really like.

TeleBrew likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Iron Maiden still sell out Arena tours.

duzie and TeleBrew like this.
  16. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I used to listen to a lot more angrier, "in your face" metal when I was younger and full of angst (Slipknot, In Flames, Machinehead, etc.), but now when I listen to metal I tend to listen to more introspective (I think?) groups like Opeth, or at least stuff with symphonic/orchestral parts like Dimmu Borgir. I'm so far out of the loop though that those are the two most recent bands I can think of that I like even though they've been around for decades :D I'm definitely going to check out the bands you mentioned!

Metal is indeed alive and well.

17. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

As long as bands are doing videos where guitars shoot lightning during guitar solos, I am happy. 2:26

P.s.theze guys don't tour North America much, but if you want to be in hard rock heaven, check them out. I am 43, and the Scandavian counties have been putting out killer rock and metal since I started getting into the genres basically.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

19. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure a mall is where one would go to hear metal music... If you want to hear metal, go to auto races, they play endless lead guitar riffs... it's quite annoying.

The last time I went to a mall , for Christmas shopping, there was a clarinet quartet playing Christmas music. They were very good, actually.

People listen to what they want to listen to.

The days of 'radio' are gone... people stream the music they want, but what we used to call 'the record-buying public' are <16 years old, and chances are they're not listening to their parents' music.

Metal hasn't gone away for those who want to hear it.

20. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Speaking of Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson is giving the keynote address at Craft Brewers Conference in Denver next month. I, for one, can't wait!

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.