Will Fender "Tonemaster" the lineup in 2020...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stantheman, Oct 15, 2019.

1. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

I see a 40 year, forced-obsalessence, purely profit driven arc for the big F...a la vinyl records, CDs, streaming, and back to vinyl records.

Because making everybody buy the "new and improved digital sound technology!" 4 or 5 times over is the only "innovation" left, and companies that make simple, quality washing machines that run reliably for 35 years go out of business.

backporchmusic and Shango66 like this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Fender didn't add any of that stuff to the Tonemasters because they didn't have to.

As to which ones they'll make next? That's easy - what are the top-selling tube-based models? That's what you can expect to see, would be my guess.

MilwMark likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I would predict a '59 Bassman and a 5e3. I guess my preference would be something in the Tweed Pro / Super category though. Big bottle Twin but not a 4x10. Having the power scaling on a Deluxe sort of makes the smaller amps less appealing, doesn't it?

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

So Blues Junior and Blues/Hotrod Deluxe versions. That's the natural conclusion.

5. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

I see the TM Deluxe and TM Twin as 1X12" and 2X12" platforms that can be revoiced on any small tube combo by overwriting the internal modeling firmware via it's USB port.
    IMO the new evolution of the Tone Master line could be adding a nice CLEAN 1X15" extended range 200W neodymium speaker (500W class-D power amp) Bassman - closed enclosure, ported baffle as this old model:
    FENDER BASSMAN COMPACT 1X15 COMBO
    Screenshot_20191016-102710_Samsung Internet.jpg

pugnax likes this.
  6. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would predict a Fender Tone Master 400 PS with a power scaling from 475 to 0,1 watts ;-)

Attached Files:

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

If that is Your desire perhaps You should be looking at the Roland Cube Artist 212 instead of a TM Twin.
    Doing all those things renders the exercise as a non-starter.
    People who play or have played Twin Reverbs/Dual Showman TFL5000D 80 watt Fenders want the exact
    thing - not something with new bells & whistles.
    I believe the Roland Blues Cube Artist 212 to be exactly what your heart desires because that has the modern contrivances you desire in your quest.
    The Twin Reverb TM is for those who seek Fender Tradition.

pugnax, Twang Deluxe and Fret Wilkes like this.
  8. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I think it will solely depend on the market success of the two tonemaster models they have so far. They did clone two of their most popular offerings.

9. hobo mississipp

hobo mississipp TDPRI Member

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The Super reverb is hangin' in there because it's a great amp. It's from a different era and contrary to the needs of an aging population.

Small lightweight amps are the wave of the future.

From a reverse engineering standpoint, Fender probably went with the Deluxe Reverb because the Deluxe Reverb model was good to go. Combine that with a '65 Deluxe Reverb cabinet and faceplate, other parts that are grab 'n' go...

Leo designed the 1960s lineup to be modular. They mostly shared the same AB763 circuit with or without reverb. That meant you could buy roughly the same amp at varying power levels (20, 40, 80 watts) with a variety of speaker configurations.

The Princeton Reverb is sort of the odd man out.

It's not a big stretch to stick the same Tonemaster guts in a Super Reverb or a Twin Reverb chassis. Fender already has the large parts in their bins.

Awesome!

I'll bet the marketing guys have this all worked out already. When Tonemaster sales start to slack off, roll out the much more capable Tonemaster II...

Like I said, I can patch together a pseudo- Tonemaster using a Boss FDR-1 and a Powerblock with plenty of coin left over for an FBM-1.

LuthRavin likes this.
  11. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

I owned the Boss FDR-1 and tonally it was a turd.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Old guys argue in this thread.

Young guys - with the money - buy Kemper.

It’s all in there. And if it ain’t, you can add it.

And it’s funny, somewhere early in a development meeting of this Tonemaster line, one or more Fender people had to bring up the growing pile of old heavy 40 watt and up Fender tube amps on Craigslists across the country.

“You, you , and you - Find out why that is and how we can make money from it!”

LuthRavin likes this.
  13. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'd be in for a Champ as well!

14. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Champ model would be a killer addition

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wait - what? Why a champ? Just asking...

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  16. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I live in an apartment so even 5W is WAY too loud for me to get any kind of break up going. If I could turn it down to 0.5W it would be great. I totally understand they will never build a Tonemaster Champ though.

navier likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Tone Master Headphones. Wireless connection from your guitar or pedalboard to the headphones.

18. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

How about a Princeton with power scaling from 1 to 50 watts.

navier, Twang Deluxe and pugnax like this.
  19. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fender has been producing SS amps for a long time. I have a Roc Pro 1000 head and an original Roland Cube 30. These amps are old survivors that are valued at $200.00 for the lot. Totally, disposable.

The Tonemaster series, are also disposable but way more expensive to procure. Only, time will tell, if they are a success.

Fender lost me, at firmware. The rural wifi is not robust and crashes frequently. Not sure, how a wifi crash would effect the upload in process and playability of the amp afterwards. I would think that this feature is a liability.

YMMV

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If it's that bad, how did you post this?

Any decent application disregards incomplete downloads. Nothing to worry about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.