1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Will electric cars be more reliable and require less maintenance...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It actually does. *If* you are one of the people who looks at this from a green standpoint. “Repairing” a car without tossing old parts is an improvement.

Even if your only concern is cost, then it still matters. Because there’s parts, and then there’s labor. With no parts being replaced, you’re only paying labor. So it’s still an improvement.

drlucky and MarkieMark like this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I agree the battery technology is improving. I too know several people who have an EV. Most of them have them for the lower fuel cost rather than the environmental impact. We all will be using them for transportation in the not too distant future.

I may be wrong but AFAIK we are woefully unprepared for the toxic containment/remediation of this technology.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They will absolutely require less regular maintenance...there are significantly less moving parts and that obviously reduces the need for things like lubrication, etc. Tires and brakes remain a maintenance factor. That's offset by the nature of electronics and software, however. While I can't honestly say at this point that EVs will be "more reliable", my gut says they will be similarly reliable to ICE equipped vehicles because "stuff happens". I do thing that they have the potential to be more reliable, however, because of my first point above...less moving parts.

4. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

So a v8 is less reliable than a 3 cylinder

5. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They will be more reliable because physically there is less to go wrong. The essential core code will get worked out to be reliable if it's not already.
    They batteries will likely exceed the life of the vehicle if Tesla's 'million-mile' battery is any indication. Recycling is already being planned.
    Manufacturers will get you on licensing features and operating systems more than likely. Think Windows Vista and IOS 2, etc.
    There will be some things that initially will be better done by internal combustion or hybrids like towing and long-distance but for most people you don't need a charging station - you plug in at home and go about your business day to day.
    In 20 years I think we will look back at IC cars and not be able to imagine going back to it much the way none of us can imagine going back to horse carts and streets filled with manure.

Big-ez, drlucky, PacificChris and 4 others like this.
  6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I think the key to unlocking electric vehicles will be the hydrogen fuel cell.

The lithium battery vehicles we have right now are an intermediate step, similar to how CDs paved the way for digital music.

The electric motors are the same in both battery and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, the only difference is the way the electricity is stored.

Electric motors have far fewer moving parts, so it should be easy to make them last longer. But will they want to?

drlucky, fretWalkr, Tommyd55 and 2 others like this.
  7. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

And the new EV models will have optional relic finishing.

drlucky, jvin248 and ale.istotle like this.
  8. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There's an efficiency loss converting energy into hydrogen to turn it back into electricity. The fuel cell itself is only 40-60% efficient. Better yield if you go from wind/sun to electrons. Hydrogen is hard to store/transport as well so there's expense in pressure vessels, compressors, etc.

GoldDeluxe5E3, bsman and JayFreddy like this.
  9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Look at software revenue models over the last 40 years and say that with a straight face.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  10. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not giving up my harleys

11. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Camping boating and fishing is a once or twice a year event. 99% of the time you drive to work, drive home and the car sits the 22 hours a day. The reality is real world usage, commuting and going to the grocery store, is completely feasible.

12. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

HD *Livewire* starting pricing less than $30k.

13. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if battery toxins are worse than oil, antifreeze, gasoline, gas treatment products, and other fluids that accompany combustion engines. I wonder about lithium. Is there a finite supply of the stuff? Is there enough to meet demand?

I think the battery replacement solution makes so much sense (gas stations become battery swap stations--forget about charging on the road). You either pay for battery replacements for 20 years up front when you buy the car or you rent your battery monthly and lower the initial cost of the vehicle. I have no doubt battery technology will improve. It's already improved ridiculously fast. Who knows what batteries will be like in 10 years? The downside of all this is that the vast majority of automobile manufacturers will go the way of Kodak or, better yet, Saab. I'll bet that's already being priced into stock values now. There's also a good chance they'll ditch automobiles in the future anyway. Why build and maintain all those roads year after year? That's got its own environmental cost.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    bsman likes this.
  14. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I'm not giving up my yamaha either, but I'd give up my Toyota corolla

ozcal and JayFreddy like this.
  15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m gonna regret this but here goesm
    The batteries are manufactured with rare earth elements for which the US has become depend upon other nations. That manufacturing process requires large amounts of energy in the form of fossil fuel.
    You are right, sustainability requires proper e-waste management. Batteries and the solar panels that are supposed to be used to charge them present a problem
    There is growing evidence that broken panels release toxic pollutants with very little known about and what happens with these materials when they are no longer viable.
    Also, wind turbines reaching end of cycle are brought to landfills because these are impossible to recycle.
    Out in the Mojave desert there is a huge solar complex off the I 15 with towers that concentrate solar rays and thousands of acres of solar panels. It needs natural gas to start up every morning. When you drive by in I-15 you’ll see frequent, intermittent flashes at the top of the towers. I found out those are birds attracted to the light being vaporized.

Sustainable” sources of energy are no where near replacing petroleum or gas. Germany has demonstrated that.

Better quit now, I’m in enough trouble as it is.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  16. slowcarfast

slowcarfast TDPRI Member

Not a direct correlation, but the Prius is known for being very reliable for high mileage. Sure it's a well built Toyota on the mechanical side, but other than the battery issues (of which there are several and they have been noted), it seems to have a very good track record for reliability. I almost bought one a while back just because they seem to be pretty good bang for the buck as a commuter car on the used market.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Odd numbers of cylinders are weird but...yeah...probably.
    The V motor is complicated.
    Anybody who has worked on older American cars knows that when there's a need for utility, the inline motor was there.
    Gimme a straight (or slant) 6 for reliability any day.

drlucky and Obsessed like this.
  18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I deal with a lot of cars.
    As wary as I was about the Prius being shockingly complicated, that is actually eclipsed, in my mind, by its shocking level of reliability.

19. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

drlucky and JayFreddy like this.
  20. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I dunno but it seems to me that hybrid vehicles are the ideal solution for the next couple of decades anyway.

Mike Simpson and farmcaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.