1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Will electric cars be more reliable and require less maintenance...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Oct 23, 2020.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

...vs their gasoline powered counterparts? Will there be planned obsolescence with electric cars? If so, why even bother to buy an "E car", American made, Japanese made, or otherwise? I mean, why have electric powered cars if they're designed to start crapping out after 5 years or 70,000 miles like gasoline powered cars? This is, of course, with "green issues" aside.

I would think "E cars" would be much more reliable vs internal combustion cars. They've already designed and built "E cars" with engines that equal or surpass gas engines in horsepower and all around performance. I can't help but wonder how much longer internal combustion engines will be around?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    ping-ping-clicka and Festofish like this.
  2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

..they are coming....

The entire automotive universe is using this period (COVID-driven economic downturn) to completely re-invent themselves, make themselves leaner, more agile, and positioned to lead an e-car future. Internal combustion engines will be around a good while, yet, but the future is electric...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Torren61 and joealso like this.
  3. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I think the big problem with E cars, is that batteries expire. They are toxic and expensive to replace, dispose.

And you have to get that power into the batteries from another source. So comparing E cars to non E cars is really missing the big picture.

(I'm not a fan of E cars)

4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

If planned obsolescence is a choice and is advantageous to car manufacturers, then it will continue.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  5. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

"Will electric cars be more reliable and require less maintenance..."

No.
    No they won't.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Now what about going across country. Will you have to wait a few hours at a power station
    before you can keep on going?

Maybe a whole new group of startup re-charging stations will appear with couches and Tv's
    and mini bowling games and pinball machines for while you wait.

7. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

@Pualee has it right.

Even if we discount all of the hidden environmental costs of fueling the EV. We have not prepared for the toxic waste of the batteries. I realize EV transportation is and will be our future, but the masses are being fed a marketing fairy tale. At this point, I refer to EVs as gross polluters.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve been seeing re-charging parking spaces at some hotels for a few years now. There will be more and more. And range will get further on the vehicles as the tech advances.

9. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

There is a plan to have battery replacement stations. The whole battery pack is exchanged.

Torren61, etype and uriah1 like this.
  10. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Electric cars while a good idea are not really feasible at the moment . Would be quite expensive to install enough charging stations around the country . Also the longevity factor has yet to proven . I can rebuild a combustible engine to go another 100 or 200 thousand miles. Also they are quite expensive and not everyone will be able to afford one .

telestratosonic and KyAnne like this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes.
    Very simple rule of mechanics/engineering...reliability is in inverse proportion to the number of parts.

12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

One set of problems exchanged for another.

13. Jakedog

At this point, yes. But things will improve as the tech advances. Right now, the majority of them are no less toxic to the environment than any other vehicle, and some more so. But that will change.

I wouldn’t buy one right now as a means of saving the world. But I know many people who have them, and many more who have hybrids. None of them are environmentally crazy. They see the vehicles primarily as a way to save money, and a step toward ending fossil fuel dependence.

So far, for the most part, the batteries LONG outlive expectations. I have an artist I work with that’s going on twelve years and right around 100k on a Honda Civic hybrid and the batteries are still fine. A gal I toured with for a long time only last year ditched her ‘99 Prius with around a gazillion miles on it. Batteries still good. Some kind of power inverter (I may have that wrong) went out. It was cost prohibitive to replace given the car’s age and mileage. So she sold it to the mechanic for $2k. That’s pretty good in my book.

I do not have any idea if batteries would die much faster in a full electric ride vs hybrid. I just don’t know much about it. But I do know the people I run with who have them all love them. I wouldn’t mind test driving a Tesla. But at this point I’m never likely to afford one.

drlucky, telepraise, Binx and 5 others like this.
  14. raito

Count each line of software as a part.

15. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. I know that intuitively, but it's nice to wake my conscious mind up to it with a brain dead simple rule.

16. Jakedog

I would argue that software can be debugged or re-written. Yes, it still costs money. But it doesn’t actually physically get worn out and break.

drlucky, Ronzo, Anacharsis and 4 others like this.
  17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Like it or not, it’s happening. As far as this being a marketing strategy, I don’t believe this is something the auto manufacturers dreamed up to sell more vehicles. They would have been content to just keep on building internal combustion engines.

I would expand on that last statement, but I fear it would broach the forum rules. As a matter of fact, I get a sense of pending doom about this thread. IBTL

drlucky and Festofish like this.
  18. raito

If you have to pay, it doesn't matter whether it wears out physically or virtually.

KyAnne and Jakedog like this.
  19. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Theoretically more reliable but I suspect the large scale replacement of parts will make them expensive to maintain.

KyAnne likes this.
  20. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Like camping? Boating/Fishing? E-cars/Trucks don't have battery systems with the capacity to pull campers/boat trailers/work trailers for any kind of distance even if they have the energy to do that for a short burst.
    I guess the answer to that is E-Vehicles are good for short distances with light loads with mega charging stations everywhere. Real world usage ain't gonna be feasible.
    and as some have mentioned, Batteries are toxic, nasty and disposal requires a whole 'nuther story.

howardlo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.