1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Will a Standard Tele Neck fit on a Bullet Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Itgoesto11, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

I have a LPB Tele that I modified with 4-way and Bootstrap pickups. The neck profile is a bit too skinny for my liking. Wondering if a Mexican Tele neck will fit the pocket of the Bullet? I know the body is a bit thinner so not sure?... C648B16F-C9F8-42C6-AB86-87900D166388.jpeg

2. janglemore

janglemore TDPRI Member

I went to look at a very nice MIM body I saw listed on CL a couple of months ago. I took along with me a neck I have from a CV ‘50s. The neck was just a bit too large to fit. So I’m guessing a MIM neck would be smaller than the pocket of your bullet. YMMV

3. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I can't answer in every situation like this. But I can give an anecdote. Last year I bought a 1981 Fender Bullet because I wanted a rosewood board for my 1976 Telecaster. I had poked around on sites like this a lot and mostly the case was people had no problem switching the necks like I was looking to do.

Both same scale; both (supposedly in the latter case if you know the history of the earliest Bullets) made in the same factory. Why not right? The entire Bullet guitar cost less than a new no hardware rosewood board (pau ferro?) USA Telecaster neck from Fender.

The rosewood neck didn't fit. Too big by maybe a millimeter. I could have shaved it down but I didnt want to do that. So I sold the Bullet.

First measurement below is the Tele neck; second is the Bullet.

IMG_20200309_154505633.jpg IMG_20200309_154637650.jpg IMG_20200309_154728801.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Not a Bullet specifically, but I slapped a standard-make Warmoth neck on an Affinity tele in the last year and it fits just fine. I think any difference in fit is more likely to be a matter of QC on the pocket shaping at that ultra-low pricepoint than it is to be any significant difference in fit across the entire model. If that makes any sense.

Itgoesto11 and DougM like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a member of Squier Talk, and a lot of members there love to mod, and many of them have fitted Fender necks to Squiers, including Bullets and Affinities. I think that it may have more to do with vintage vs. modern spec. I know that vintage bridges are 2 3/16" spacing, while modern ones are 2 1/16", so perhaps vintage spec necks are also slightly larger.

6. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

In my world, nothing ever seems to fit perfectly. Hell, I buy a pickguard after being assured by online info that the holes will line up and invariably, they don't.

hemingway, lupowitz and Chuckster like this.
  7. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

Don't know if this helps but I just recently put a 76 Tele rosewood neck on my CVC 60's Squire and it fit fine. I know this ain't a Bullet or Affinity but it is a Squire.

8. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

General info for anyone with a 22-fret MiK Lite Ash Tele: a MiM 21-fret neck will fit the pocket and the screw holes line up but you'll need another pick guard to make it look tidy because there'll be a gap due to no neck overhang.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.