Will a NOS 68 Paisley age like they used to?

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
Okay so the wallpaper could be the same, doesn’t mean the entire body is. How do you explain the relic then? Have you ever seen or tried to relic polyurethane? It just doesn’t work.
Unfinished bodies lets not split hairs a tele body is a tele body :) put poly on that and it's a Japan reissue

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
Actually looking at every single custom shop model and any model that’s paisley all share the same paper. Different colour schemes but all the same pattern.

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
Unfinished bodies lets not split hairs a tele body is a tele body :) put poly on that and it's a Japan reissue

Okay so now they get unfinished CIJ bodies and use those? Why would they need the custom shop then? So do they ship the bodies from USA to Japan or does fender USA get the bodies shipped from Japan?

Not splitting hairs here, you’re just misinformed of how things work at fender.

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
Fender USA has never released paisley reissues Japan has and there is the paper Made In Japan which Fender USA are using on CS models

Where are you getting your info from? There wouldn’t be a reissue of the paisley anything if fender hadn’t released them in the 60’s.

Duncan

Tele-Meister
The Custom Shop did get the paper from Japan, but always uses bodies made in the Custom Shop. I'm not sure on how many pieces the bodies from Japan are made of, but the CS is 2 piece body or less.

As usual, there's lots of misinformation on the internet.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
You're not getting informed answers to your good original question. I do not have a CS paisley Tele so I cannot say whether they duplicated the original finish. It's a very interesting question because the original paisley finish was godawful crap and not at all like the thin-skin finishes people seek today. Some of those paisley Teles look like they were dipped in bowling-alley, super thick "clear" finish which was never good and which has cracked, yellowed, and at times separated from the body over time. It's hard for me to believe that the CS and its present-day patrons duplicated that horror-show. On that basis, I would guess, but only guess, that aging of the CS guitars will proceed in a different way. But I'd have to get my hands on one. And companies consistently refuse to disclose their methods for finishing, so I don't think Fender will say. It's a good question to ask about any reissue or relic (for ex., Murphy Lab owners are concerned) but particularly this one.

Mgeek

TDPRI Member
Wouldn’t the originals have been poly?

I can’t explain the yellowing if so

Does anyone know what the original finish even was?

Scrolled all the way through the thread to see if someone had said this.

Surely Fender had switched to Polyurethane by late 68 when these came out? I don't think nitro would have held up anywhere near as well

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
If you look up custom shop fender custom shop 68 paisley telecaster specs, it’s lists the body finish as nitrocellulose lacquer with WLS undercoat.

The neck is also nitrocellulose. So not true to vintage specs on the paisley teles. That’s why they can relic it. Fender doesn’t relic polyurethane.

Volcanicash01

Tele-Meister
Apologies if this has been asked/answered, I looked, but no dice!

Call me crazy but I love the way vintage late-60's paisley Telecasters age; the pink becomes gold-like, and the nitro flakes off.

I'm curious as to whether a custom shop NOS will age the same way? I've got plenty of sun in SoCal, but am in a smoke-free home (and don't expect that to change). I guess the real question has two parts
i) is nitro lacquer today the same (chemically?), applied in the same way (proportions?), and will thus age with time identically?
ii) if it will, then what can I do to make sure it happens (sun exposure, anything else?).

Thanks! I hope others will find this helpful as well!
Just stick in in the greenhouse for a few weeks! Lol! You’ll find out!

Attachments

• 7D68C150-4463-4B91-ADA6-085A5110F7EE.jpeg
    7D68C150-4463-4B91-ADA6-085A5110F7EE.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 21
  • 6524713D-7250-421C-B6A4-93B1CF7C9807.jpeg
    6524713D-7250-421C-B6A4-93B1CF7C9807.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 781818D8-2539-4DE9-B986-F85469901554.jpeg
    781818D8-2539-4DE9-B986-F85469901554.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 21

Junior59

TDPRI Member
Scrolled all the way through the thread to see if someone had said this.

Surely Fender had switched to Polyurethane by late 68 when these came out? I don't think nitro would have held up anywhere near as well
Me too!😁

The MIJ’s are actually more period correct, by that reckoning.

myfenderissues

TDPRI Member
Apologies if this has been asked/answered, I looked, but no dice!

Call me crazy but I love the way vintage late-60's paisley Telecasters age; the pink becomes gold-like, and the nitro flakes off.

I'm curious as to whether a custom shop NOS will age the same way? I've got plenty of sun in SoCal, but am in a smoke-free home (and don't expect that to change). I guess the real question has two parts
i) is nitro lacquer today the same (chemically?), applied in the same way (proportions?), and will thus age with time identically?
ii) if it will, then what can I do to make sure it happens (sun exposure, anything else?).

Thanks! I hope others will find this helpful as well!
the custom shop builds them as close as they can to the originals. btw, the paisley teles were made under cbs fender, and they always used poly, not nitro lacquer, finishes.

Last edited:

Strarcries

TDPRI Member
Okay so now they get unfinished CIJ bodies and use those? Why would they need the custom shop then? So do they ship the bodies from USA to Japan or does fender USA get the bodies shipped from Japan?

Not splitting hairs here, you’re just misinformed of how things work at fender.

the custom shop builds them as close as they can to the originals. btw, the paisley teles were made under cbs fender, and they always used poly, not nitro lacquer, finishes.
During the 60's when living in San Diego I took the bus downtown to check out some guitars. Apex Music was one store I went into, and another music store near Apex was, "Fender Music." I remember first walking in seeing a super reverb Amp sitting all by itself up against the wall. All I can remember after spotting the Amp was a wall full of Paisley Telecasters. I drooled over those guitars. I wanted one really bad but - who has a lot of money at 17 years of age. No more Fender Music Stores either.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Me too!😁

The MIJ’s are actually more period correct, by that reckoning.
The only thing that bothers me is that 99 percent of paisleys that I’ve seen are maple caps and the mij’s are a one piece (I guess it’s cool because James Burton’s is a one piece)

I don’t know why they did it that way

Also my early mij paisley has a wide dot spacing on the neck that drives me crazy, how am I supposed to explain that when I time travel back to the 60’s with it?

I’m not sure if the newer ones ever got the correct dots

TimW

Tele-Meister
Check out my post on the 68 Paisley, hopefully that can answer some of the questions here

BlueTele

Tele-Meister
I always have a laugh about the Paisley guitars. If you grew up in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles (specifically Van Nuys), you'll remember Adler Music almost on the corner of Victory Blvd and Hazeltine Ave. I remember going there often, but one particular Saturday, the guys in our band all "walked" to the store (we were 13 years old in '68). We were there to check our a bass amp for me to rent for a little gig we had at a church. I rented a blonde/wheat piggyback baseman rig...so sweet. Anyway, we walked in the store, and along their main wall, was a massive amount of pink and blue paisley Teles, and I want to say Strats as well, although I could be wrong...I never see vintage paisley Strats for sale. But it was such a late '60's image of hippiedom and coolness. I think they were around $195.00, maybe a tish more (anyone?). Oddly though, I had gotten our guitar player into Les Pauls, so after a long glance or two, he walked over to the mini-humbucker Les Paul that he had his eye on forever. I had played guitar since the age of 9, but in this band I was the bass player. Then I moved on to be the drummer of a high school band, but all that went away...I have remained a guitar player my whole life, but I never got a paisley Tele. I am more of a purist: butterscotch black guards, white blonde with rosewood board, maybe a top bound sunburst here and there, and black...nothing too crazy.