Will a 5e3 sound good with pedals?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Oct 25, 2011.

1. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

I checked out a used 5e3 last night (Ricter). Upon plugging in, it was obviously a very loud amp. There is plenty of clean headroom (which surprised me) and to get it into overdrive you have to crank the s&*t out of it. My question is, can I run it clean with a pedal board in front of it? Will it sound good?

Current pedal chain:

Timmy->FD2->OCD (set up as clean boost)->BYOC Muff Clone->MXR Micro Chorus->ISP Decimator->Clinchfx EP-Pre-Carbon Copy.

Your insights would be most welcome.

2. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Yes.

3. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

purpletele +1

4. slew71

slew71 TDPRI Member

My Mission 5E3 takes them very well!

5. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

I think you'll really like the Timmy... other 'effects' will sound good, but I find most mid-hump tubescreamer type overdrives to be a little odd in a tweed Fender. (some people can make anything sound good - me, I'm real picky about overdrives).

I have an EP Booster from xotic (probably similar to your EP-pre), also the carbon copy delay... both sound real nice w/ my 5f4.

my $0.02 anyway.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Your pedalboard should have little to no effect on your clean tone. If it does the things to check immediately are 1) cheap or bad connecting cables (the 6-packs of molded pedalboard cables are absolute trash) and 2) a (or the) wrong power supply.

*Most* newer pedals use Boss PSA-type 9V adapters (known as "switching" or regulated adapters). Often players will misplace one and buy a generic Radio Shack adapter, use an adapter from an old telephone or answer machine, or use a multi-voltage adapter.

Almost every one of those is an unregulated ACA-type adapter, and it will hum at varying levels with different pedals (and will work perfectly with others, like some early Boss units that specify use of an ACA-type adapter).

FWIW an ACA type pedal can usually be used in a string of pedals run by a supply like a One Spot, but a PSA type pedal cannot be run in a string of ACA-powered pedals with an ACA adapter (which also usually measures around 14V unloaded).

7. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

What Slew71 said...

I really like a clean boost (preferably Bad Bod, or EP Booster) with my stock Mission 5E3!!

8. NowFender

NowFender TDPRI Member

I emailed Bruce at Mission Amps and asked if my Celestion Blue could handle the wattage of his 5E3 which he said yes, but stressed that if you push it with pedals you can risk blowing it. Don't know what type of speaker was in the one you tried but it's food for thought. Still loving my MA 5E3 but its still the honeymoon stage.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Depends on the pedal.

10. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

It depends on the pedal. Some work well and some muddy up the 5e3's clear sustain. In some cases a pedal with a buffer will sound better, while a true bypass will muddy up the sound. YMMV. It's hit and miss, with a all tube amp, digital and/or anologe fx.

11. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

I agree that pedals (like the FD2) with a mid-hump won't sound very good (at least they don't through my 5E3). But I use a Timmy, OCD, and Wampler Black '65 with great results.

12. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

5E3's LOVE RATS !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.