Will 3 hours of sun be bad for acoustic guitar?

acrvr

TDPRI Member
I just installed a guitar hanger on the porch, but then I noticed that from around 3-5pm everyday the sun directly hits the guitar. Will that cause damage in the long run?

B5C289BF-0FE1-47ED-8CF4-3720A9C0DDDE.jpeg

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
#1 the heat with cause the wood to expand and dry out.
#2 the high UV's will/may bleach the color of the stain
#3 after noon heat wont disipate possibly loosening the glue joints over time

this guitar is not a cheap accoustic and the repairs could be expensive!
My vote is move it a new location , IMHO

also from your location the sun is very hot and humid daily

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
3 hours in the sun is likely not as bad as walking away from the beach bonfire & hearing your guitar crack as a result of going from 75F near the fire to 63F within 10 steps away from the flames. The only issue I have had with sunlight is tuning, and it applies to solid bodies as well, but nothing structural. I am sure others may have differing stories, though.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't like to see any acoustic guitar hanging on the wall anywhere, much less in the sun. Wood glues will start softening at 150F or less and your bridge is under 175 pounds of shear tension. Humidity less than 40% will cause the wood to shrink, action to come down and get buzzy, fret ends to get sharp. The UV will cause both wood and finish to darken. And if it gets knocked off the hanger.......

EXPLRGAB

TDPRI Member
MATT UMANOV..OF UMANOV GUITARS....GREENWICH VILLAGE, NYC, CHEWED "MY" ASS ROYAL, LAST SUMMER, WHEN I BROUGHT MY DAUGHTERS..00-18 MARTIN IN FOR REPAIR...HE DEJECTEDLY SAID....THIS GUITAR HAS BEEN SITTING OUT....NOT IN A CASE AND THEN WENT ON TO POINT OUT THE VARIOUS $800 IN REPAIR REQUIRED TO CORRECT THE DEFICIENCIES DERIVED FROM STORING A GUITAR OUT ON A STAND EXPOSED TO THE FLUCTUATING CLIMATE OF NYC APARTMENTS. CERTAINLY NOT DIRECT SUNLIGHT....HE FURTHER DECLARED AND I QUOTE..."A GUITAR IS NOT ART"....IT BELONGS IN A CASE NOT ON THE WALL...OF COURSE I OFFERED NO JUSTIFICATION FOR MY DAUGHTER LEAVING THE GUITAR OUT ON A STAND... NOT PROPERLY HUMIDIFIED...... ESPECIALLY THROUGH THE WINTER ...I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT....THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE WHEN DEALING WITH HI END ACOUSTIC GUITARS, FOR WHICH MATT UMANOV IS NOTED FOR. NOW I KNOW A LOT OF FOLKS HANG THEIR GUITARS IN THEIR MUSIC ROOMS....TO EACH THEIR OWN, YOU PAID THE PRICE OF ADMISSION..DO WITH THEM AS YOU WILL...BUT IF YOU TAKE THEM TO MR UMANOV.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
This carbon fiber guitar goes for around $200 on Amazon (incl case). There's probably not much you could do to hurt it, other than drive over it.

black_tag_800x.jpg

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Also... That's a Taylor. Wouldn't hanging that valuable instrument outside invite certain people to permanently borrow it?
Excellent point. My Travis Bean Artist got stolen because someone on the street heard me playing it in my bedroom with the window open.

He also carried my Twin Reverb halfway across the bedroom and gave up on it. It was in the middle of the room when I got home.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Well it's certainly not going to do any good. Mine come out of the case till I'm done playing and back in they go. I have hangers on the wall but that's for breaks, or when the phone rings.

I'm in SoCal and my '67 Rick 420 in it's case has made it through the 1978 6.1 quake and the 1994 6.7 quake. Both of which caused *significant* damage. In 71 we were without water for 3 months.

I've added another 20 guitars since then, they all have cases. No gig bags.....