Wilko Johnson Tele

rob2

Tele-Holic
Mine had a lovely quality rosewood board too, was a nice medium weight and resonated nicely.

.....looks like they took care to get a nice bundle of rosewood for the boards on the Wilko model....I'm a maple board fan but damn I'd rock that one....looks like a pre-CBS

Wilco

TDPRI Member
I remember seeing this thread last year and thinking I must get one of those for £300, but didn't get round to it. Now they are going for £900, damn.

eean

TDPRI Member
Yes, the Wilko I had, the neck profile was closer to my '64 AVRI - 60's shape, slimmer at the nut broadening and thickening toward the heel. It was very nice. Mine had a lovely quality rosewood board too, was a nice medium weight and resonated nicely.

Aside form the Poly finish and the slightly lacking bridge Mex pickup, it was a very nice model well put together.

I replaced the bridge pickup with a Bare Knuckles Yardbird and put a tort guard on it and compensating saddles. Tell me it doesn't look cool... ;)

Returned it to stock when I sold it.

View attachment 679444
View attachment 679446
View attachment 679447
View attachment 679445
View attachment 679442
View attachment 679449
Just came across this post and whoa!

Tort guard on black with a rosewood board looks outstanding.

Well done that man 👍

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Hi this is my first time on any forum. I have a simple question to ask. I have a Wilko Johnson tele it is in excellent condition and has all the relevant photographs ETC that came with it. I am thinking of selling it but would like to know what it is worth could anybody help me.
Just sold mine for £750 to a collector

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Didn't Fender do two runs ? So more than 200 were produced, but still limited.

Interesting comparison, @rze99 , I've never seen a side-by-side of the two models.
I must admit I thought the neck was pretty skinny, but very playable. But the Classic 60's is thinner ? :eek:
It looks like the Wilko has more rounded shoulders on the neck profile.
Yes, I don't know how big the second run was but they did do more.

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
The value in this - is that its limited. That is the only thing that would bump it up from any other MIM tele. IIRC the pickups were stock and its just the red guard and his sig on the headstock.

I l liked mine when I had it - I thought it was pretty cool and played well. Only Sold it when i got an AV 64. I had mine sent to the states from Andertons. I dont think many made it back to North America...