1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wilkinson Vintage-style bridges - Differences

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by backwater, Feb 24, 2021.

1. backwater

backwater TDPRI Member

Hi Folks,
    Looking for a vintage style bridge for my current build and I was looking at Wilkinson bridges but I'm curious/confused by the different models/markings.

I've seen them marked Wilkinson, Wilkinson M Series, Wilkinson by Sung Il and Wilkinson by Gotoh. The Gotoh one is obviously made by Gotoh (and priced accordingly) but does anyone know the difference between the other 3 versions?

Thanks

Andy

WTB-CR.jpg

DSC05569-scaled.jpg tb5129-1.jpg

LutherBurger likes this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting. I was only aware of the Gotoh and Sung-Il versions.

I wonder whether the other two are legit.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Maybe M series is metric hardware? Just go Sung Ill, they are perfect

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. LutherBurger

That's a reasonable guess, but everything about my Sung-Ils appears to be metric: M3 saddle screws and M4 pickup mounting holes.

5. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

The couple I have were all metric. As an experiment, I tapped the intonation and saddle height threads to 6/32:

4D8BCECF-DE64-4DF7-9E9D-0E807706ECEE.jpeg

6. backwater

backwater TDPRI Member

I've done a bit more digging.

The Wilkinson branded one is sold by Allparts as TB-5129-001 :
    Wilkinson® Vintage Style Steel Bridge for Telecaster®, Staggered Saddles, Nickel, 2-1/8" (54mm) String Spacing. Works as a both a top loading and string through body, bridge

The Sung Il one is listed as model WTB : Chrome finish,stamped steel, Compensated brass saddles - seems to be the most common version.

M series are models WOT01 and WOT01T :Cold roll steel base plate, angled brass or angled threaded steel saddles (From : http://www.guitar-parts-depot.com/start-tele-style-bridges.html - only place I can find that sells them other than ebay?)

Andy

LutherBurger likes this.
  7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Notice the different saddles on the "M" series!
    Just Noticin'
    Gene

8. yegbert

I have yet to see threaded steel saddles that have been made compensated by drilling for their intonation adjustment screws in an intentionally angled way (other than perpendicular to the saddle) to provide compensation. The ones listed under those part numbers on that link/page, both brass and threaded steel, look like they were drilled perpendicular. They are and are not compensated, nor are they claimed to be. Anyone have pic of angle-compensated threaded steel saddles?

That page also lists “Start” saddles! ;)

That Cal Webway likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

They all look like big lumps of bridgey metal to me.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Top 2 look chrome, bottom looks nickel.

12. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

M series are by a manufacturer who claims to have a license to use the Wilkinson brand name.
    On their aliexpress listings they show a scan of the supposed license/authorisation letter.

I ordered one of the hardtail bridges to check it out and it is awful. Badly plated and the mount holes match no standard pattern I've ever seen. The saddle intonation screws sit very high, almost lifting the saddles off the plate. This is Squier Bullet quality and look to me to just be cheap no-name parts with a laser Wilkinson logo. Not the quality I expect from Wilkinson branded parts.

Based on the above I'd stay away from the M series. The Sung Il bridges are a known quantity with known quality for a reasonable price.

backwater and LutherBurger like this.
  13. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

LutherBurger and That Cal Webway like this.
  14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

That seems to have expired.
    The details are correct though. Another Trev Wilkinson business called "Whamster" has the same address.

15. yegbert

I don’t know if these are made or designed by Wilkinson; I bought them online from a site calling itself RS Guitarworks. They are what I have that uses the same design as attributed to Wilkinson. I have a couple of sets like these, in steel. I guess I actually don’t have any in brass. These had, when I took this pic, metric threaded screws in both the intonation and height screws. One set I later tapped to use US 6/32 in all holes, and now has slotted set screws.

I also have at least one bridgeplate that has the Wilkinson name on it.

Some of the bridgeplates I see on eBay, and a couple I have, have string-through holes that are a little higher than ideal and are visibly uneven in height from the plate bottom. Some are dual load and some are only drilled for string through. I have drilled one or two for top load, and it can be a challenge getting the holes exactly where you want them. I used a center punch before drilling but the bit can ten to wander. I also therefore started the holes smaller than the desired target so I could then use a needle file to adjust the final position. It’s not noticeable when the strings are loaded because the ball ends of the strings hide them somewhat.

https://www.tdpri.com/media/squier-tele-with-vintage-bridge.1710/full

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.