Wilkinson Machine heads any good?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Hoping I'm posting in the right place

Anyone been using the Wilkinson tuning pegs lately.

I'm getting mixed results searching for people's thoughts on them

I'm considering the 6 in-line WJ-07 (modern Fender lookalike)

What other options can I consider for good quality tuning pegs without paying Grover prices

2. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I have them on several guitars with no issues, you can get better ratios for sure, but for holding tune, they work for me.

3. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Those work well. For a little more, consider hipshot locking tuners - I've put 5 or 6 sets on my builds and been incredibly pleased with their looks, feel, ease of installation (they have a universal mounting plate that makes them perfectly in line with no guide holes) and value as compared to, say schaller for twice the cost.

What do grovers run you in South Africa? A good set of locking rotomatics here are 70-80 bucks, Whereas hipshot are around 60 and wilkies are 35.

4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

They work fine and its worth bearing in mind a lot of expensive guitars use Wilkingson parts .Most tuning issues are nut slots or string winding anyway TBH.

Tonetele and bgmacaw like this.
  5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Not heard anything bad, but wish they could stand to make parts without putting their name front and center on them.

Generally prefer kluson tuners, or hipshot which are only slightly more and then slightly more x 2 respectively, but if a tuner works, it works.

IIRC, the kluson vintage types that I have were about $37 a set, but I tend to buy things when I find them cheap, so if that's not a normal price difference vs. $28 wilkinsons, I could be off.

Matthias likes this.
  6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Kluson is just a name these days , owned by WD in the US, and Goeldo in the rest of the world ( I think)

I'm not quite sure, but I think most brands are made by Ping in China these days, Kluson, Wilkinson etc.....
    Except Gotoh.

I just think they are better quality overall, and the small screws are of decent quality. The others often come with far too soft screws

They also have a higher, nicer ratio.

I have the cheaper ones on several guitars, they can stay, if they work
    If I'm buying, it's Gotoh every time....

7. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Yeah Grovers starts around $80 whereas Wilkinsons from China Ebay or AliExpress is $24, quite a difference

I have Grover Rotamatics on my acoustic and they are the best tuners I've used

8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I've used them a few times. They work fine. They do what they are asked to do. I agree with the above poster: most tuning issues are not because of the tuners.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

When you can get klusons for $37 a set sometimes, I figured it was too good to be true (aside from the fact that the do work decent). The only outright awful tuners I've gotten are the ones that come in low priced kit hardware sets. But those are everywhere.

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I misspoke, the last batch of tuners I ordered were from stew mac (of all places), and were gotoh oval knob vintage style tuners. $33.80 a set (they were on sale), and came in an unmarked bag. They seem OK. I know I've used klusons and hip shots, but always the vintage oval button style on teles and strats - I couldn't tell the difference between any of them so far.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Don't buy asia made Klusons repros, I have yet to come across a set that didn't have an issue. I did get in on that sale DWP got and I'm so glad I did, quality was excellent for $40.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I would place wilkinsons at the top of the heap for cheap brand tuners... really like the ezlock post and want to try them. I guess reverend uses them?
    all that said... gotoh is what I buy when prices is no object!

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Look for classic vibe tuners. Same as Klusons but usually much cheaper. Nothing wrong with the current Klusons, just make sure they come in the proper box and are in fact Kluson branded from a reputable seller. I have bought 3 sets of Klusons over the past ten years and they have been great. The only place ive heard bad reports are vague mentions on the internet and i'm guessing it's because there are a ton of "Kluson" style listed tuners from china listed on ebay. Gotoh vintage tuners are like Klusons and good.

I think the Wilkinsons have the hole in the side of the post? A no go for me.
    I just ordered a set of Kluson style in nickel from a China seller for $20 bucks delivered. Feedback is 100% good on over 38 sets sold. I'm hoping they are Classic vibe tuners.
    I have been stung before with garbage Kluson nickel copies but fingers crossed these are good.

I also just ordered a set of Kluson Supreme staggered vintage tuners with 18:1 gear ratio. Worth a look but I cant say they are worth the extra yet until I have used them. Not needing to drill and mount a string tree can save a couple bucks and with a roasted neck lessen the risk of potential damage or be a help if you have a decal that might be in the way of mounting a string tree.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  14. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I have these on two of my guitars and really like them. As good as any Fender ones I’ve had and have.

Wilkinson 6 Inline Chrome E-Z LOK Post Guitar Tuners EZ Post Guitar Tuning Keys Pegs Guitar Machine Heads for Strat Tele https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JLT840S/?tag=tdpri-20

15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have 3 or 4 guitars with Wilkinson tuners, they work OK.
    Also have 4 Squire CV ( C) models with original tuners.
    I'm almost certain they are all made by Ping, marked pw.
    They are all on there, working OK.
    But , as said, if I have to buy some, - it's Gotoh every time.
    I might have a set of Klusons on something..... . The Kluson name thing is kind of curious.. .... Over here, you can buy all kinds of hardware named Kluson..... And pickups !

16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Stupid question, has Waverly ever started making vintage tuners for electric guitars?

I put two sets on acoustic guitars years ago (well, one came with them), and i can't ever remember any issue with any of them. They were so good that you could get a guitar out after a year, and strum it as if you played it an hour ago.

Someone chided me at the time ("there's nothing special about them, they just have nylon bushings and those will wear out and they're overpriced"). I won't spend that kind of cake on tuners often, but for my best efforts making, I'd think about it.

17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I hope nobody ruins my day and tells me that waverly is a foreign brand now, too.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

I just had a look and it seems that Stew Mac sell them. Wasn't Stew Mac recently bought out? It's possible the Waverly's might soon be a foreign brand if they aren't already.

19. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Who bought stewmac?

Think maybe they'll try and increase overall sales by lowering prices? /s

20. Chunkocaster

I'm not sure who bought them. Just read in another thread a few months back that they had a change of ownership. Prices don't seem to have changed although they have had a few good clearance sales lately on stock they must be discontinuing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.