Wildwood’s « relic-readies »

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by EsquireBoy, Nov 25, 2019.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...lic-ready-1962-telecaster-custom-5/?cat_id=38

What kind of marketing bullsh*t is this?

How do you make a new guitar look vintage without having to wait thirty years or resort to crazy schemes involving bags of burning leaves? Well, we at Wildwood Guitars are proud to introduce our answer: a new line of Wildwood Tens that we have dubbed “relic-readies.”

These Custom Shop creations are just like the heavy-relic guitars that have been a shop staple for years—same wood, same electronics, same hardware, and same outstanding build quality—except we snatch them away from Fender before they have a chance to actually do the relic job. The result is a guitar that accumulates wear-and-tear at an exponentially higher rate than normal. So, it’ll look like a guitar that’s been gigged for thirty years after just a couple birthdays. Finally, YOU can be the one to make your guitar look vintage!

mimmo and Greggorios like this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

The expensive kind :D

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

OK, I'll bite.

When I get my bodies finished to my needs, I ask for "thin skin" finish. I want the opposite of thick MIM poly and I suppose I want it to age in a "relic ready" way.

SO THERE.

Difference is I don't pay silly prices for thin finish, just use a guy I trust who does great work and isn't called "Fender Custom Shop".

baiff, Greggorios, hemingway and 4 others like this.
  4. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

So less is more, more or less.

djh22, Deeve, EsquireBoy and 3 others like this.
  5. Pooks

Pooks TDPRI Member

Yeah. I'm pretty sure these are Custom Shop "Wildwood 10s" without the relic job. Since they use a thin finish for these guitars, why not just sell them before hacking them up. Sure you can decide that the price is too high for a CS instrument if you like. I think the marketing 'story' behind this is silly and dumb, but if I were in the market for a CS Fender, I'd prefer a relic-ready "10" to a relic'd one.

6. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

That is correct. Fender Custom Shop Wildwood 10's. They are actually cheaper than a CS with any kind of relicing done.

I'll take a '62 Custom Tele in 3TSB please.

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

How does their price compare to the Wildwood 10s? I wouldn’t want to pay extra for them not to relic it.

“Well, ‘at’s a noice Telecaster what you got there. Be a shame if sum-fing was to ‘appen to it...”

Deeve, blueruins and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's bizarro marketing but whatever will sell a few pieces of common wood, couple of magnets and some wires for 3 grand, that's what you gotta do.

jvin248 likes this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Basically Fender's version of what you get with an MJT Closet Clean.

Fender doesn't start their Relics as factory fresh N.O.S. guitars. Neither does MJT. Making a guitar have a N.O.S. style perfect high gloss finish takes a ton of skilled work, and skilled work is expensive – the most expensive cost involved in a factory made guitar.

So what you're getting is a finish that was not applied that "well," because they know they're just gonna beat it up anyhow. They make them thinner, they don't care so much about making them flawless, and they don't care so much about making them glossy.

In other words, these should cost less than AOs, because they cost Fender less than AOs to make.

I can completely understand someone wanting a guitar with this sort of finish. However, I cannot understand someone deciding that it's worth more than an AO, which has a perfect finish, or worth the same as a Relic, which has lots more skilled labor time poured into it in the factory.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

My point completely!

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

This is how I paint my guitars at home for peanuts. I do my best without fussing too much over them, hopefully end up with a half decent thin finish spraying them in the backyard that then ages naturally because I play them a lot and don't have to treat them like newborn babies. If a few bugs end up in the finish it just adds to the mojo.
    I have found that they sand out easily enough anyway or if they look cool you can clear over them.:D

If I lived in an apartment with no way to spray or I worked long hours, possibly didn't enjoy painting and sanding etc, had a wife complaining I needed to spend more time doing other things etc and I had money to burn I would possibly just pay for something like these and be done with it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    hemingway likes this.
  12. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Wildwood 10,s are extremely fine guitars made to their exacting specs. I have a double bound sunburst custom and have played several others. I think they are as good as it gets. Having owned more than a few custom shop fenders from the beginning of it,i think these are top of the heap.

Greggorios and whoanelly15 like this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I’m definitely not arguing against that, but I was just not seeing any difference with the « thin skin » version which is, as all here seem to say, exactly the same thing.
    And yet:
    a new line of Wildwood Tens that we have dubbed “relic-readies.”

nocastermike likes this.
  14. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...om-shop/custom-shop-telecaster/?orderby=price

“Nothing to see here.” No real difference in price, people. We can certainly debate how much a really nice guitar (or custom shop guitar) is worth at the top of the line. But there’s no difference here in price for a relic-ready vs a relic or a NOS. They are all very nice Custom Shop guitars. In this case, built to Wildwood specs and available in a range of finishes.

Move along.
    upload_2019-11-26_7-21-7.jpeg

15. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Aren't all guitars "Relic Ready"?

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

A thick poly finish is relic ready if you're prepared to wait about 150 years. Otherwise, yes, you're right.

17. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

People paying that kind of money are collectors with no intention of actually getting it out of the case
    the term relic ready is a bit silly unless your kids have access to your music room

EsquireBoy likes this.
  18. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I get the blues for a week any time I scratch one of my guitars. When I buy a used guitar I pay less if it has dings and dents. But that’s just me?

19. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Over $4k for a Telecaster...

I know some like fancy things, and that's cool, but it's not for me.

A Telecaster is a very simple beast, and doesn't really need anything special to do what it does best.

baiff, netgear69 and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Well said

GuitarGeorge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.