Wild Horses - For Real

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Yesterday my wife and I were camping on the Klamath River, Siskiyou County, California.

About 6 pm we were sitting in shade at the river front and a young wild horse stallion came down a hill, stopped and began grazing about fifteen feet from us. After a couple of non-menacing barks our dog got used to his nearness and the horse moved closer, munching away, and ignored her. He grazed along the river front for about two hours, and drank from the river several times and moved on out of sight.

Later, just after dark had fallen, while we were sitting at a picnic table, a herd of 12-15 wild horses came near us and slowly surrounded us. We could barely see them but felt them - a mass of indistinct large shapes with a glimpse of a moving head or a flashing tail. We heard their hooves on the ground, chuffing and breathing, and jostling. After a few minutes they sauntered off into the dark, their horse curiosity satisfied.

We felt no danger or malice from the horses, our dog was attentive but not menacing to them.

Eerie, enchanting and sublime to be in the dark surrounded by large wild - yet familiar - beasts.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yesterday my wife and I were camping on the Klamath River, Siskiyou County, California.

About 6 pm we were sitting in shade at the river front and a young wild horse stallion came down a hill, stopped and began grazing about fifteen feet from us. After a couple of non-menacing barks our dog got used to his nearness and the horse moved closer, munching away, and ignored her. He grazed along the river front for about two hours, and drank from the river several times and moved on out of sight.

Later, just after dark had fallen, while we were sitting at a picnic table, a herd of 12-15 wild horses came near us and slowly surrounded us. We could barely see them but felt them - a mass of indistinct large shapes with a glimpse of a moving head or a flashing tail. We heard their hooves on the ground, chuffing and breathing, and jostling. After a few minutes they sauntered off into the dark, their horse curiosity satisfied.

We felt no danger or malice from the horses, our dog was attentive but not menacing to them.

Eerie, enchanting and sublime to be in the dark surrounded by large wild - yet familiar - beasts.
What a wonderful thing to have experienced, I envy you!

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I’d dig that.

I grew up in this small town and 60 years ago there were still a number of small farms with horses where there are now subdivisions, a mall, etc. My uncle had horses outside of town so I had an early introduction to them and zero fear of them, and I think the horses knew that.

We’d ride our bikes all over and would stop wherever folks had a few horses and ask if we could go into the fields to look at ‘em. The answer was always “yes” so we’d try to determine in our little brains which ones were ready, then walk up and talk to them and finally grab their mane and hoist ourselves up for some bareback riding. Most horses had been rode and didn’t mind it much, but I did throw myself off one onto a manure pile as he bolted into the barn.

One gentleman told us it was OK but to make sure we locked the gate after we entered. Our most irresponsible guy left it open and a beautiful stallion raced across the rode to run wildly around the woods there. We ran and got the owner and he gathered up the horse that was well beyond our riding abilities, brought it back across the road and when he closed his gate he just said “don’t let him out again! and continued to let us hang out there.

Things have changed and I’m no longer a regular around horses. I do enjoy telling these stories to my somewhat astonished grandkids.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've been surrounded by horses since I moved here. Two places across the road, the property behind mine and a few more up the road...

Sunshine, this white horse is pretty nuts, forever running through, over or between fences..and has many scars to prove it...

crazy blue eyes, it was a show jumping breed of some sort that was a few hands too short to train further. It became the pet horse... always getting out running up the road at any hour trying to get to the other horses. I'd be woken up by a horse or more stampeding around my place trying to find a way back to its home paddock.... or helping the lady owner to round it up and get it back through the gate, a game it knew well....

Paddock across the road was owned by a couple of women endurance riders who held club events in their paddock with trails in the local forest... She had Arab cross horses for their endurance especially the wild horses "brumbies" from way out in western Qld, dry hard country...
One wild mare, an 8yr old, she brought back to train had never been ridden or been around people... I'm sure it had never seen grass so green or roads with cars either...
It ran around head high, flared nostrils, proud looking, one of the most impressive horses I'd ever seen..

Come on..wanna play chasey?...

white horse, sunshine...JPG