Wild Bill

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tonyw, Nov 28, 2014.

1. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

I have started to drag out parts for my Wild Bill spare parts teleblaster, all the pickups are Bill Lawrence, with the neck pickup being an old Ultrasonic from West Germany, middle pickup is a L298 Strat middle, Bridge is an L298 Tele. The neck is one i had kicking around, and the body is a 2010 Standard telecaster i got for doing a job for a friend back then, i actually got 4 tele bodies for a $300 job, bartering is alive and well where i live :D

I havent thought too much about the wiring yet (well i have but its doing my head in at the moment) so i will sit down during the week and see what i come up with. I am not sure how the balance is going to be across the 3 but time will tell once its hooked up :rolleyes:

Any wiring ideas? much appreciated and will be taken aboard.

Attached Files:

• wb.jpg
      wb.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    • wb3.jpg
      wb3.jpg
      File size:
      77.1 KB
      Views:
    • wb2.jpg
      wb2.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
    • wb4.jpg
      wb4.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

sweet. thats a very interesting neck pickup. i probably should order some of bills pickups next week for my tele. but i dunno. i would like to get a fuz pedal and a eq. upgrade guitar or pedals.. life is hard man.
    ( by the way the fender fsr tele. the neck pickup sucks.. i can live with the bridge.. but if i upgrade ill do both. however, iv never been happy with the tele neck pup.. id like to put in a mini, or a charlie christian in her.. but im not ready to break out the router its not even 3 weeks old yet. lol)
    chris.

3. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

The neck pickup i got in a lucky dip package of guitar parts, my eyes lit up when i saw what was in there, i think i paid about $25 and sold off some of the bass pickups that were in there, lots of old pots and wiring also.

Seeing as i already had everything for the guitar pretty much, i think i will buy a Callahan AMS bridge, a bit pricey but the craftsmanship is there.

As for pickups i wind my own usually, so its easier to try and get it right for what i am wanting to hear, more so than relying on others, not unusual for me to dump a bobbin of wire into the bin and start again if i am not hearing what i want, and it also allows me to experiment, for instance i have some thicker 40AWG here from 1952, i am thinking, thinking, thinking what i am going to wind with this stuff, maybe a blade type bridge for tele or a nice humbucker.

4. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

hey thats best way i can think of to experiment is to wind your own..

that pickup has to be rare? its it active? the pcb or whatever on the back makes me think yeah.. but bill said battery's do not belong on guitars so it would be quite odd and have to be early on in his pickup winding days.
    as we grow hopefully our logic and thinking does too and for the better.

i have a lawrence XL500 on the shelf i bought for a project. one day ill use it.. to bad it was not a pickup id consider for the neck of my tele.. id probably think real hard on routing the neck out. hah even tho i said its to early. funny what having something in your hands will make you do.

ill probably try the keystones, they seem to get a lot of love.. i just want a all around pickups.. blues, rock, jazz. i think a good pickup should be able to handle that.

chris.

5. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

They are a passive pickup late 70's early 80's i believe and i have been offered some very good $$$ for it but its not for sale, unless of course i dont like it. Appraently they have a flat even transparent response, so you can give them a giddy up at the amp.

The pickups read Bridge 14.5k middle 11.5 k and the neck 10.8k but these readings are only the resistance of the wire in a pickup's coil at zero hertz and dont really tell us anything about the sound or the balance of the pickups. I will run my gauss meter over them later and do a few more tests, but the proof is always in the pudding, thats when you play them.

6. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

The Ultrasonics came in humpup cases and also single coil size cases. I used them in my Fender Tele that ended up being a crazy Tele before all was said and done.

The idea was the U's were a flat wide frequency pickup, a humbucker using rare earth magnets, and you were expected to use whatever eq curve you liked off-guitar. I had several Ultrasonics in the 1980-90s, only using 2 at any given time on my Tele but I tried them as they came in different winds slightly, a 1, a 2, and a 3 model I think, all looking identical but the 2 was what I liked, the 3 was a stronger drive but dropped high freqs, I thought they dropped much too much highs on the 3, the 2 though was great I thought. I can't remember the 1 right now but I liked the 2 a whole lot and disliked the 3. They were internally wired to be series-parallel switchable for each pickup, that's the little dpdt-ready board on the bottom of the pickup. It's not an active pickup. The pickups sounded great IMHO through tube amps. I had the Tele wired with one U in neck, one U in the bridge, each pickup you could choose series or parallel for that pickup internally. Got a kind of single coil/hum sound choice by doing that and no hum.

(And then the guitar's wiring harness was Craig Anderton's 5-way Strat switch for Tele layout, so you could do either pickup alone or series or parallel both pickups, and also solo the neck pickup with a bass-y rhythm cap on it. I also had a dpdt phase switch to throw the pickups in or out against each other. That guitar got very crazy before it was done, a Modulus Graphite neck, Kahler Spyder Floyd copy, and a Roland GR 50 compatible pickup. I took that thing all over. I was young, wish I hadn't done all that to my Tele.)

7. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Apparently only the certain pickups were rated 1 to 6 and it was stamped on them on the back plate, the full size HB's i have neck or bridge wirtten on them on the side. I did alot of research when i 1st got the pickup and there was more on the singles than the full size. I was staggered to see a set of singles size go for $450. I guess if you really want something its only worth what someones willing to pay for it.

8. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

TonyW, sending you a PM.

9. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Received

thanks for that mate

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.