Wild animals are taking over/visitors every night/your visitors?

Wildcard_35

Tele-Holic
One night last week I was out with my dog in the back yard and heard a commotion on top of my house. It was a buzzard touching down and I heard his talons scratch the metal roof. He landed for a second, then he took off into the night. He didn't say what he wanted, but I imagine he might have seen a roof rat or something.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Here’s a better picture of the tail. It lives nearby and frequently hops my fence to snare lizards and mice. It runs really fast and is pretty close to 2’ tall.
View attachment 1006194
Ok, that makes more sense. In any event, they can fly, but I think it’s very limited, such as being able to fly into a tree, or over a fence.

They are not the innocent bird seed eaters of the cartoons. They are definitely predatory, and a bit aggressive. If there was a chase involving a roadrunner and a coyote, I suspect that the coyote would be the animal in front, fleeing for all it was worth. I had a big tomcat out front, on a leash, and a roadrunner went after him. I had to effect a rescue, and the cat was definitely intimidated.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ok, that makes more sense. In any event, they can fly, but I think it’s very limited, such as being able to fly into a tree, or over a fence.

They are not the innocent bird seed eaters of the cartoons. They are definitely predatory, and a bit aggressive. If there was a chase involving a roadrunner and a coyote, I suspect that the coyote would be the animal in front, fleeing for all it was worth. I had a big tomcat out front, on a leash, and a roadrunner went after him. I had to effect a rescue, and the cat was definitely intimidated.
That’s gutsy! My dog has caught birds so I try to remember to rattle the back door before I let her out. I don’t know what she’d do if a large bird came at her. But she’s pretty aggressive with other animals in the yard. On leash she follows training though.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
19022513-5EDD-4792-9B15-32AE63A959AA.jpeg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Woe! Who would have thought this was still going

Other than the nightly and morning visits from the rabbit I’ve spotted some sort of cloven hoofed print in the yard..

Goat legs?

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
It seems to go in cycles around me house, this year there is a bumper crop of rabbits and chipmunks. Gray squirrel numbers have been down for at least a couple years. Haven't had many raccoons, possums and skunks raiding the trash in the last couple of years either.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
That’s gutsy! My dog has caught birds so I try to remember to rattle the back door before I let her out. I don’t know what she’d do if a large bird came at her. But she’s pretty aggressive with other animals in the yard. On leash she follows training though.
Roadrunners are surprisingly aggressive. My neighbor had a nest of roadrunners in her yard, and when I came near, these tiny hatchlings were ready for a fight.