Wild animals are taking over/visitors every night/your visitors?

Powdog

Tele-Meister
1657512213562.jpeg

Just cats in my backyard. The roof of my house is thru the trees.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
We have your standard grey squirrels, but I have noticed a population of black squirrels nearby. I'm just describing the color of squirrels, no racial motives at all to this. Ironically, the black squirrels were located in a Pittsburgh neighborhood named, aptly enough, Squirrel Hill. A few years ago I noticed the black squirrels at my friend's house in Regent Square, which is kind of between Squirrel Hill and where I live. Finally, this past year, we got our first black squirrel in the neighborhood. I think they are standard grey squirrels, just a black color variant. I'll try to get some photos.

The black squirrels have been north of you in southern Canada for years. A genetic oddity of the gray squirrel that caught on. They seem to be moving south over the past couple decades. In some ways it's a genetic advantage to be black in a cold climate so Mother Nature is helping out.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I've seen way fewer animals and birds around my house this summer, I think since we're well into a drought and heat wave.
I've seen squirrels, foxes, deer, one skunk and one armadillo right around the house in the past.

Today on about a 20 minute drive home from visiting friends, I saw three or four deer and a raccoon. The raccoon was out at an atypical time of day, seemed unsure of his movements, and was awfully close to the road. I hope it wasn't rabid or severely dehydrated.

This is going to be a rough summer for Northeast Texas wildlife. :(

rghill

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Last year, I would hike the river trail here in Peoria. The wash is normally dry, but there are usually lots of critters to be seen. I saw numerous coyotes of course, but also saw javelina. Not much else in the wash, but lately around town there have been quite a few racoons in town. A few years ago I lived in a hillier area, and saw quite a few bobcats. Even a pelican that blew in from a Pacific storm and hung around the community lakes getting its fill on fish.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
a late afternoon Wallaby having a nibble... they probably feed at night, too when there's some moon....
There's a trail through the fenceline grass they made to the overgrown block next door leading up to the hill . Kangaroos use it as well.

wallaby3.jpg
wallaby31.jpg

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Roadrunner. This is my roof. I know they can’t fly but…
View attachment 1006028
I hate to be contradictory, but there are two things in your post that I believe may be incorrect. Actually, roadrunners can fly. They aren’t great soaring birds and fly for short distances. I once saw a roadrunner being chased by a dog. He flapped his wings and escaped to a mesquite tree.

Secondly, and I’m sorry to have to say this, but that isn’t a roadrunner. Roadrunners have long tails, and their legs are not quite so long. That appears to be some sort of aquatic bird.

This is a roadrunner. I see them in my yard, frequently. I don’t recall ever seeing one on my roof, but that may be a matter of will, for the roadrunner. They tend to prefer the ground, and all of the yummy lizards which live there. :)

1658112775239.jpeg

DFB1

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Last week I had a skunk, tarantula,and scorpion as guests.
Last night there was some big black bug back there.
It was about 4" long. I have no clue what it was.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Last week I had a skunk, tarantula,and scorpion as guests.
Last night there was some big black bug back there.
It was about 4" long. I have no clue what it was.
A slow week for Arizona. :)

A few years back, I was plagued by skunks. Finally, my neighbor lent me a trap, but the skunk was so small it could lift its tail, and by the time I got home from work, it had sprayed profusely. I threw a cheap blanket over the sides of the cage and decided to open the cage and just let the skunk out. So I was opening the cage, and the skunk got all friendly and was sniffing my fingers. Then I opened the cage, and it decided that a gage with an open door made a dandy home for a skunk. Eventually it left, some time later, the scent left too. A few days in the sun and rne blanket was fine, as well, or perhaps my sense of smell was so overloaded that it seemed fine to me, but no one else. :)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I found this beast in my living room!

( sorry, we just live in a suburban apartment complex now, so mostly deer, foxes, raccoons...)

Attachments

• 20220611_114059.jpg
    20220611_114059.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220530-085136_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220530-085136_Photos.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 8

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
I live 45 minutes north of NYC - in a wooded area bordered on one side by a farm and the other side state protected forest and wetlands. We don’t get anything exotic: just the usual stuff, raccoons, skunk, ground hogs, squirrels, chipmunks, possum, coyote, deer, black bear, foxes, tons of bird life. It’s a mountainous area with lots of hawks. Spent a small fortune putting up deer fence to close off the back half of my property, ‘cause ticks are a big problem, and I’ve had Lymes twice and it’s no fun. We grow a lot of veggies so there’s always traps set for groundhogs. When we catch ‘em - we (illegally) transport them over to Bear Mountain State Park and release them there. Since we have no livestock, we take foxes out to the back and just let ‘em go. Bears are a pain in the butt. Have to take down all the bird feeders in June, or the bears smash down the fencing and steal the bird feeders. Weirdly, I have memories as a kid, of driving somewheres late at night with my folks and noting the smell of skunks, so when I get a whiff of skunk late at night, it’s kinda nostalgic. The time they sprayed one of my dogs… not so much. Was opening my garage door the other day and a friggin’ rat snake dropped down out of the top of the door. I’m like WTF???

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I hate to be contradictory, but there are two things in your post that I believe may be incorrect. Actually, roadrunners can fly. They aren’t great soaring birds and fly for short distances. I once saw a roadrunner being chased by a dog. He flapped his wings and escaped to a mesquite tree.

Secondly, and I’m sorry to have to say this, but that isn’t a roadrunner. Roadrunners have long tails, and their legs are not quite so long. That appears to be some sort of aquatic bird.

This is a roadrunner. I see them in my yard, frequently. I don’t recall ever seeing one on my roof, but that may be a matter of will, for the roadrunner. They tend to prefer the ground, and all of the yummy lizards which live there. :)

Here’s a better picture of the tail. It lives nearby and frequently hops my fence to snare lizards and mice. It runs really fast and is pretty close to 2’ tall.
1658156064098.jpeg

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Deer, Badgers, Otters, Ospreys, Foxes. Trout, jumping in the river, at my boundary.
This week, it's the annual plague of tiny little brown frogs. Fingernail sized. I try not to mow them.

Oh....and there's a bat roost, in my roof. Just a handful, this year.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
We have way too many deer, racoons and foxes here in the capital of Maryland. My wife sprays deer repellent all over the back yard because they're eating up many of her plants. It doesn't seem to work that well. I was advised human urine would work better but she's rejected that idea so far.

We have lots of birds of prey as well, even Eagles occasionally.