Wild animals are taking over/visitors every night/your visitors?

WRHB

Tele-Holic
We don't get anything too scary around here - but I commonly get moths sucked in the open windows or even butterflies moving in...
View attachment 986853
A gorgeous Large Yellow Underwing moth... Mostly the problem is that they only decide to come out at night, attracted by my bedside light when I am reading - it can be a bit startling when they suddenly start buzzing around your head at one in the morning :0)

View attachment 986854
After hibernating on my ceiling for some months, this Small Tortoiseshell butterfly decided it was finally time to leave. Realising my hand was warmer than outside he stayed for a few minutes, and then was gone. I shall miss him... especially as he was doomed - it was December... tricked by the central heating he had come out of hibernation 3 months early
Every so often we get a moth that’s nearly the size of my wife’s hand. I leave them alone and try not to upset them. I saw the Godzilla movies and remember what Mothra is capable of

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
We don't even live out in the country but this year I've seen:
Foxes (for the 1st time), Hedgehogs (first time in years), Rabbits, Squirrels, Bats (frequent visitors)
and every type of bird from Wrens & Blue **** to Woodpigeons & Herring Gulls.
My partner says she saw a Weasel or Polecat running around early one morning.
Apparently there are deer next to a nearby river.
And finally...Lucy the crazy cat from down the street. She's pretty wild.
[Edit. I can't believe a common breed of garden bird has been censored]
T1t$.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've been planning a trail cam for years. We are in a rural subdivision, surrounded by wooded ground and farmland...backed to a pond. We have regular visitors including skunks, racoons, opossums, ground hogs, snakes, deer, bear and coyote (only scat and tracks...we are on the bear transition zone), >40 species of birds, including owls, hawks, buzzards, Canadian geese and turkeys, plus resident squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks. And then, there is the general category vermin :(. Counting Blessings.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I think I’ve been cursed by nature or something…

Or the animals are trying to take over…

I live in the woods but I’ve never seen this much wildlife in such a short span

It all started after I made the thread about finding a baby snake in my room, maybe I angered it? Since then in a span of a week or two I’ve had animals around or in my house, I hope this thread doesn’t anger them…

So it started with the snake, I released it and a couple days later while moving stuff around it pops up again dangling in my face (I screamed like a little girl even though I’m not afraid of snakes)

Then this week starting Saturday I see the bunny which is around sometimes so not too odd, then Sunday…the raccoon! A raccoon was moseying around the back yard (never seen a live one here) then… Monday the bats! TWO BATS! Flying around the house! At 1:30 in the morning (Window on a crack)

And finally the strange creature of last night… I was sitting on the back porch when what sounded like a strange turkey (woddle woddle woddle) cam rushing through the back yard out to the front and into the small tree line out there, I went looking and couldn’t find what it was (a wounded bird? Escaped chicken?)

I CAN’T WAIT for what’s going to visit next!

Am I cursed by nature? Non of them have really caused any harm

Do you have regular wild visitors?

Could be worse… at least I don’t have lions tigers or bears
You’re blessed by nature. We’ve been decimating the life that shares this planet with us for eons. I’ve just trapped and released the third mouse this month from the community centre where I rehearse and my wife runs her business. Had a fix my garden visit twice recently, I now drop him / her some food in the woods outback, and am cleaning bird poo off my fence a lot more. Bring it on, nature tries has to live with us, I’m happy to accommodate her as far as I can. True, the squirrels in my roof space had to go, but I eventually trapped them, let them free on the other side of the common and blocked their entry points. Killing anything is a last resort.

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
We've got a multitude of wild animals that visit our rural 4 acre lake-side property. The most regular visitors are possums, armadillos, marsh rabbits, gray squirrels, raccoons, cooter and soft shelled turtles, ribbon snakes, garter snakes, black racers, yellow rat snakes, sandhill cranes, white ibis, barred owls, red-shouldered hawks, swallow-tailed kites, turkey and black vultures, anhingas, whistling ducks, great egrets, wood storks and pileated woodpeckers, but we've also had otters and deer come by on occasion. Thankfully, we've not had any visits from wild hogs, coyotes or alligators on our property, but we've seen plenty of them in the state forest which is located within 2 miles of our home. The nastiest visitors that we've come across are the water moccasins, coral snakes, but most especially reviled are the fire ants.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
We have a deer problem where I live. They eat whatever anyone plants in their landscaping. If you choose something deer don't like? It doesn't matter, there are so many and when they get hungry enough, they will eat it. Deer-B-Gone? It's like salad dressing to them. Doesn't even slow them down.

We've had as many as 17 deer in our yard, and we a city lot, not an expanse of land in the country. It's just crazy.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Since we live in an exurban area that was just developed in the past 15 years we see a lot of critters. We probably make it worse by feeding birds and, by extension, squirrels in our backyard. We often have deer, rabbits, opossums and raccoons stop by for a snack. Earlier this week there was a fox that paid our ground feeder a visit, probably looking for the old dog food we occasionally put out for the crows.

Here's deer that was checking out the feeders.

deerinbackyard.jpg

This baby rabbit was hiding near our raised garden beds.

babybunny.jpeg

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have to get my chip out of my backyard trail cam.
Mostly coons and possums. Some big boys.

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
We have a deer problem where I live.
Same here. I had a very close call with one that jumped out of the bushes right into the left lane of the highway as I was passing another vehicle going about 70 mph. There was no way I could safely swerve to avoid it, so I just mashed the brakes and figured I was going to hit it until it jumped again into the right lane and safely across to the other side.

thesamhill

Tele-Afflicted
Sounds right to me!

I can't think of a single bad thing about snakes except the venomous ones, and in a lifetime of tromping around the woods of the US northeast I can count the number of wild venomous snakes I've seen on one finger.

The rest do nothing but eat things I actually don't like such as mice that eat my food and spread hantavirus and Lyme disease. As long as snakes don't have triangle heads they are welcome in my house anytime.

Same with house centipedes. Eat up, little fellas, and thanks for not leaving cobwebs everywhere.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
My neighborhood is pretty much right at the eastern edge of the Texas Hill Country. So we have a lot of deer, coyotes, variety of snakes, rabbits, foxes, armadillos, skunks, all kinds of birds (including a chuck’s-poor-will that visits most every spring and is determined to keep me awake all night), turtles, frogs, squirrels of course, and a whole variety of insects and rodents.