1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wilco - OMG what took me so long?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Big_Bend, Jun 16, 2012.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm not sure what's going on, for me.

I'm about half committed to this band. Normally, I put a CD in rotation and it drops out or it just sounds better every time you repeat.

I've been listening a lot to YHF and sometimes I'm liking it even more and sometimes I get restless.

Normally I can concoct a message from even the most odd, the most badly mumbled lyrics (from early REM to the Cocteau Twins) but I gotta say, I'm basically unmoved as to the content of Jeff's lyrics mostly. Which is annoying, for me.

2. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I too am late on this bandwagon. Just got into them a year or so ago when I bought their dvd on a whim. Great band

3. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

Sky Blue Sky is a nice record now that it's aged and found its place in Wilco's discography. But at the time it came out, it was disappointing because Nels Cline was new to the lineup and many of us were expecting the band to go further 'out there', but instead we got a more subdued record.

If you're new to Wilco I could see how Sky Blue Sky could be your favorite. This is about the time Jeff got sober, and the 2nd record since YHF that he didn't have the dynamic, for better or worse, with Jay Bennett in the studio. More or less, Sky Blue Sky was the first record since AM that Jeff didn't have pills or a creative foil, and we got a 'dad rock' record.

It's a good record but I wouldn't place it in Wilco's top 3. Just my opinion as a long time fan.

4. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I got into Wilco with Being There and love Sky Blue Sky (for another opinion as a long time fan ;)).

In the DVD that came with it, Jeff alluded to their previous few records and basically said that sometimes he just wants to hear somebody sing a song, thus the vibe on that record.
    And whenever I hear the term "dad rock" I :rolleyes:.

Tweedy on "dad rock"

5. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Just a note about the Letterman performance...The band is awesome and sooooo comfortable on stage, (something we're trying to work on).

A year or two ago somebody on Letterman starting putting a lot of time and effort into the music acts. The blocking (2:03), knowing when take a shot (2:16,4:31) and the sound mix really make the video.

6. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Impossible Germany
    Side with the Seeds
    One Wing
    Art of Almost

Nels' playing is transcendent and really takes me someplace.

7. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Does being a fan since '98 count as a long time?

I guess I like "dad rock"

8. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Huge Wilco fan and I love all of their releases for different reasons(although I find it hard to get into Wilco (The Album) I would also recommend Uncle Tupelo for all those A.M./ Being There fans ,especially Anodyne. Great Alt Country and the pairing of Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar is sublime.

9. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

I think one of the best things about Wilco is that they're not afraid to take an older song and tune it to the current band. Things like Handshake Drugs, Via Chicago, At Least That's What you said are so differnent live than the album. Of course, if you have Nels Cline and that band, you can do a LOT.

The version of Ashes Of American Flags at the beginning of the DVD of the same name is chilling. No one sounds like Nels Cline and he totally makes it his own.

10. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sbs is my favorite wilco album.

They are one of the few rock bands that i run out and buy their stuff the first day it comes out...

11. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Sky Blue Sky is my favorite too. I know it's weird.

I had a friend who was a HUGE Wilco fan. She gave me copies of A.M. and Summer Teeth, but I never got around to listening. Then on the Sky Blue Sky tour Wilco came through Morgantown. I didn't get to go because I had to work, but my wife and said friend did. The catch is that I was working as a night custodian in the building the show was at. I spent a couple hours talking to a guy who I thought was a really cool member of the bands crew. He was one of the coolest dudes I've ever met. When the guy got changed and went onstage I realized I had been hanging with Jeff Tweedy.

So, the next day I bought a used copy of Sky Blue Sky and decided to check out those Wilco CDs. I've been a fan since. Because of my personal experiance, I think I'll always like that album the best. They're all good though.

12. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Now THAT is a cool story, bro! :D

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I started the video and kept scrolling down reading posts, and about halfway through I forgot it was a clip. :eek: I was surprised by the applause at the end.

14. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was never able to get through a whole Wilco album without cringing until Sky Blue Sky. It's a masterpiece.

Saw them play a minor league baseball stadium a few years ago, and it was one of the best shows I've been to in recent years. I might have to fork over the cash to see them in Prospect Park in a month. Or maybe I'll just go listen in the park for free!

15. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

AM is an incredible album. Wilco and I drifted apart after the first few albums, most of the stuff from Yankee/ Ghost was too wilfully obscure for my tastes. I must check out Blue Sky Blue.

16. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

Been listening since Being There. It's my favorite, probably more for personal reasons. I also love SBS though.

I think the band got better, with Nels and Pat, the guitars "conversation" and all, but Tweedy's writing got worse, or at least less inspired.

17. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

I have a love hate relationship with Wilco. I love A.M. and Being There. Every record since and everytime I see them live I sort go back and forth where one song I'll be like "That was brilliant. One of the best things I've heard!" and next song I will be bored to tears and can't get to the bathroom/beer line quick enough.

Love this...

18. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Tweedy is one of the top ten songwriters of the last twenty years. Been a fan since buying a used copy of No Depression in the 1990s.

19. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

20. Cosmicdancer

Cosmicdancer Tele-Meister

I've been a fan since the Summerteath days. That is one of the greatest power pop/rock albums of the last 30 years in my opinion. Terrific songwriting all over that record. From there, I went back and bought all of the previous albums including the Mermaid Ave. album with Billy Bragg and the Uncle Tupelo albums. I've also bought every album since. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is still their greatest achievement in my eyes.

I've loved every record through Sky Blue Sky. Since then, though I still enjoy their albums overall, they have declined a bit. Still, a terrific live band and better than most bands out there. I've seen the band live once and Tweedy in a solo setting once. Both were incredible shows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.