Wife and I are looking for a New Church and Worship Band to join... but I have some concerns.

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
God gave me almost a 100 churches in my area to choose from. A few that would probably lock the door if they saw my family coming (not to mention the size of my Amp and Pedalboard... ;)

Then y'all could hang with me.

I'm preparing a sermon for the end of the year that's going to have a slide show with it, one that features some friends of mine:
a longhaired thrasher dude
a biker in his leathers
20-something guy with hot pink hair
nose ring girl
tattoo man
African American in her kente

These are people that will make a lot of people uncomfortable but they all really need Jesus... and they all happen to be great brothers and sisters in the Lord. Point being, if we aren't open to the "weirdos" we aren't fully following Christ.

I may even include a drummer!

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Have you considered just hosting a home church? Many are saying it's the way we'll be going in the near future.

I certainly hope that's not the case. Even sitting in the congregation two rows and 4 seats from other people is better that livestreaming and zooming.

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
I just recently left my worship leading position. We just got a new pastor, and on day 1 the legalism started. I was told that my rock/blues/jazz/soul/zydeco/urban gospel/country/pop/klesmer/reggae worship music does not belong in church. After 27 years playing in worship bands, I have heard this argument before, but I still have not heard anyone attempt to hang it on scripture.

New pianist, (pastor's wife) plays all the parts anyway. Every other musician is redundant in that situation. I will likely be looking for a new church.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
I just recently left my worship leading position. We just got a new pastor, and on day 1 the legalism started. I was told that my rock/blues/jazz/soul/zydeco/urban gospel/country/pop/klesmer/reggae worship music does not belong in church. After 27 years playing in worship bands, I have heard this argument before, but I still have not heard anyone attempt to hang it on scripture.

New pianist, (pastor's wife) plays all the parts anyway. Every other musician is redundant in that situation. I will likely be looking for a new church.

Wow !!
Your style of music is what the church needs. Sorry you are going through this. I've been there. But God will guide and provide !

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
Wow !!
Your style of music is what the church needs. Sorry you are going through this. I've been there. But God will guide and provide !
Thanks for the encouragement. I always looked at it as being 'all things to all people'. Not sure where we will land, but i have never lost my connection to God. There's a great big harvest to be reaped and I'm gonna keep working.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

I’m with you. God bless you as you look.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's

I suppose looking for a new church is more noble than hanging around to see if attendance dwindles.

The ONLY thing that makes worship music worship music is the words to the music. I know organists and church orchestras may play preludes before the service actually starts, but these preludes are almost always hymns and worship songs that people know the words to.

I said "almost always" because when I was growing up, my mother would play the preludes on Sundays. One the the preludes she played was Chopin's "Prelude in C Minor," which, many years later, turned up in a Barry Manilow record ("Could It Be Magic").

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
klesmer/reggae worship music

Satan's Jams indeed. How dare you... HOW DARE YOU? Klesmer music? Your parents should have raised you better. :lol:

Honestly, I would have rolled on the ground laughing at these doomed losers that took over your church. Wait till they get to heaven and Jesus Cranks up his TELE through a Super Reverb with 7000 vintage Greenbacks in it. (pretty sure that's hinted at in the Bible somewhere... I'll keep looking...Maybe 2 Chronicles - things are always hidden in there...)

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Satan's Jams indeed. How dare you... HOW DARE YOU? Klesmer music? Your parents should have raised you better. :lol:

Honestly, I would have rolled on the ground laughing at these doomed losers that took over your church. Wait till they get to heaven and Jesus Cranks up his TELE through a Super Reverb with 7000 vintage Greenbacks in it. (pretty sure that's hinted at in the Bible somewhere... I'll keep looking...Maybe 2 Chronicles - things are always hidden in there...)
I don't know about any body else, but my guess is that an altar call w/ a zydeco music bed could be amazing.
:cool:
Peace - Deeve

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I might be tempted to lead one last time with my SG… but then again probably not. Just leave gracefully and move on to a place God will use you .

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
Goldilocks.... i didn't mean to hijack your thread. I do hope you find a good group to join. Finding a new church is harder than finding a new spouse. BTW... i have had that song you posted stuck in my head ever since. I like the podcast too.

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
Goldilocks.... i didn't mean to hijack your thread. I do hope you find a good group to join. Finding a new church is harder than finding a new spouse. BTW... i have had that song you posted stuck in my head ever since. I like the podcast too.

NO prob, any conversation is good conversation.

Hmmm? Probably takes me longer to find a good wife. Just sayin'

My song reached you... I can die happy now. Thanks Buddy. :)