1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Widows 7 support expiring -- should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WilburBufferson, Oct 27, 2020.

1. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge Tele-Meister

Same. "support for 7" stopped here Jan '20.

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We did the Windows 7 to 10 migration on a Dell laptop without incident and without the need to reformat or wipe anything out. So far no issues. I have another that came with Windows 10 and it's been running fine although I'll admit recently I had some issues that may relate to a recent upgrade conflicting with some 3rd party software.

3. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I'm running XP on a non-internet computer so that I can still use older programmes. My online machine is W10 and I've got it looking as much like the W7 interface as possible. The standard interface is horrible and most people I know don't like it. Previous operating systems had far better, intuitive navigation. I started off on 3.1, went through 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, W7 then W10 and I'd consider W7 as the best version with XP second.
    One annoying thing about Windows platforms with System Restore is that you can't permanently save a fresh install snapshot as all points get overwritten eventually. That would have been a very useful option.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

It is your choice.

I've been running windows since 3.1 and Linux since I switched from SCO UNIX.
    Currently Windows 10 Pro and Suse Leap.

About the only thing I've seen as a problem are browsers and how easily they can be hijacked or fake hijacked.
    For home use, most free malware protection works as does windows defender. Most security software seems to slow down machines so I personally choose not to use it. The best safety is a complete backup done at regular intervals.

archetype likes this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Optiplex are first tier, aka business, aka professional. Products designed for compatibility, good and long software support, and superior warrant service. Not subsidized by bundled software and not a product created to achieve lowest price.

Your service tag should be able to tell your specs if you don't know them. You'll pay more and maybe not need all the features but some home, small office or non-domain users get Professional version of Windows for control of updates and other features.

There are gapminder/worldview/oldnews issues here just like the electric vehicles posts but it's a topic with lots of good information to find and follow. Just make sure it's up to date info.

:)

6. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Win 7 is the best MS OS provided you tweek it for DAW use following:

http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...dows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Been using Avast for many years, so far no problems. When I use the DAW (reaper) I unplug the ethernet canle and shut down Avast.

Startup services has everything turned of.

I am not worried at all.

I use win 10 at work, don't like it at all and the updates are annoying. I often travel to poor countries with unreliable and slow internet (and brownouts) and dread getting hijacked by an update while there.

Win 10 is a first world OS that relies on 1st world support and infrastructure.

Oh, and my fan and hdd wont stop spinning even when I'm doing nothimg. They will die prematurely due to unneccessary wear.

It's a great OS for my IT dept, keeps them in their jobs. I don't mind, some really nice people work there.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  7. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Win 7? I don't go for that new stuff. My main machine (this one) is an XP. There's a Win 95 on my workbench to run Excel and play music (not on line). Laptop upstairs is a Win 10 Pro that I keep in sleep mode for fast access.

If you record or need new software stay current. Otherwise, if it works don't fix it.

8. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

I'd pay extra to be the first one in line to throw a baseball at Bill Gates in a dunk tank, better yet see him drink from a fire hose.

9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Regarding security... That's why companies like, say, McAfee exist.
    Otherwise.... no reason for not staying with Win7 until the machine dies.

10. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I have a 2012 Dell tower that came with Windows 7. Did the free upgrade to 10 last year and it went fine. Backed up all my files before the download, but I didn't need to.

I now use the old Dell just for music applications. Bought an HP Stream laptop for my wife and I to use for e-mail, internet, etc. Came with Windows 10 and have had no issues with it. I use MalwareBytes as well.

11. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

I mean this in a friendly and sincere way -

If you were a user on my network you wouldn't be allowed to plug in, and we'd confiscate your computer even if we couldn't immediately replace it. If you had to sit idle for a day or two I'd be fine with that. If we had to incur an expense to upgrade software ( including custom development ) I'd still be fine with it. Eliminating a risky workflow that can't be remediated would be a viable option.

I do this for a living and take my job seriously, I have literally no sense of humor about it.

Protecting private and proprietary data is important. It's much, much easier to believe it now and take action than have it proved to you by data ransom, identify theft, payment card theft, loss of income, etc.

If you handle data for others it's not just you that you're risking. Do you want to have to explain to someone else how you ignored the risk and now they have a problem?

The cost of your computer is already amortized over 5 years, how much more do you want out of it?

Do you floss your teeth? Think of it that way.

Please take action.

Enough with the soapbox, I've said my piece.

loopfinding, imwjl and dlaroe like this.
  12. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Back in the days of Win95 I did the Linux thing too.

But now, Win10 has been approximately 100% perfect for me. Way too lazy for anything else now.

13. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Yes, but McAfee (or any other antivirus/malware solution) doesn't update the operating system against system-level exploits, and you'll likely find that they stop their support not long after Microsoft.

Anyhow, professional nerd chiming in here for the original poster... yes, you should upgrade to 10 if the box touches the Internet. If you want to learn how to use another OS and which apps might also do what you want on those platforms, good luck to you. Path of least resistance is the obvious one.

FWIW, I've been running 10 on my 'studio'/gaming box for five years (it's been my primary work machine since March) and while I find a lot of it annoying relative to 7, it doesn't get in my way and is stable. GL

loopfinding likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Windows 7 must be going to the darkside ... or was it always on the darkside?:D

15. Hughmart

Hughmart TDPRI Member

Ran Win XP on my old 2007 Dell laptop. Put a new SSD hard drive in and installed Linuxmint 19 about 6 years ago. Runs like a dream. I just update the OS once or twice a week. It’s stable as hell and easy to use

16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you have a need for Windows apps to run on Windows I would switch to Linux. Backup your data, download the latest Linux Mint ISO, make a bootable thumbdrive, boot it, install Linux and tell Microsoft to get lost.

https://linuxmint.com/

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Fair point but not being fastidious about keeping software and especially browsers up to date can cause every bit as much pain too!

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

One interesting point on your soapbox is the frequency that people are compromised and don't know it. I see this in the work from home, BYOD and having our network based security platform on guest networks that serve 90 - 400+ people a day.

Once people got over the core human problem of change, we saw the replace 7 with 10 rollout was considered everything easier. Our close to 1000 employees is not huge in the scale of everything but I think it's telling. It's a mix of front line workers, basic managers, execs, and in industry where most employees are not college graduates.

buster poser likes this.
  19. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Update to Windows 10. They just released the October update so now is as good a time as ever.

While it is sorely tempting to weigh in on a lot of the subsequent opinions expressed, it doesn't much help the OP.

Linds and glenlivet like this.
  20. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

True, but you have to really try not to keep your machine up to date anymore. Can't remember the last time I manually downloaded an update for anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.