Wide Range Humbucker Neck Position Capacitor Value/Tone Pot

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Reua95, May 7, 2021.

1. Reua95

Reua95 TDPRI Member

I have a 72 Custom RI with a Revel WRHB in the neck. I currently have a 500k tone pot paired with a 0.022 cap. I really like the tone of the neck pick up but sometimes feel like I would like it to be a little brighter. I was thinking of trying a 0.015 cap or possibly put in a no load tone pot. I was curious if anybody with a similar setup had tried either of these modifications?

Boreas likes this.
  2. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have Fender reissue CuNiFe neck, and using 1M pots with 0.022 caps. It's not getting overly bright, just wonderful.

Also learning from Telenator's height adjustments tips and trying to use ears. Height makes remarkable diffetence in tone.

3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I run the exact same setup. You may want to:

1. Check to see the value of your pot is where it is supposed to be. They can vary +/- 20%.

2. I would try the no-load pot first, then consider bumping up to a 1M V pot.

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you want the pickup to have a brighter core tone, the value of the cap on the tone pot is irrelevant. If you want a pickup to be brighter overall, you want a larger value volume pot than the one you have now. Measure the current one - if it's nominally a 500K pot but measures in the 450K range, install another 500K pot that actually measures in the 550K range, it'll be a bit brighter -- see if that's bright enough for you. If not, go to a 1M volume pot, that'll make the core tone of the pickup notably brighter.

The value of the cap on the tone control matters when the tone control is turned down beyond halfway, it sets how dark it gets with the tone control turned down, but it has almost no effect when the tone control is turned all the way up. If you want a less dark tone with the tone control turned all the way down, then by all means change the tone cap to a lower value. Try .015uf or .01uf, or even smaller, depending on how you want it to sound with the tone control turned down.

bender66 likes this.
  5. Reua95

Reua95 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have adjusted it based on Telenator’s previous thread, that helped a lot! It really is a situation when the tone control is at 10, I sometimes wish it was brighter. Sounds like changing to a 1M volume might be the way to go….

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

A lot has to do with the magnets used in your pickups.
    I don't know what Revel uses in their WRHBs, but I'll guess it's FeCrCo because they don't list the type of magnets anywhere on their site.

Personally, I would just turn up the treble knob on your amp. I have not had good experiences with 1 meg pots and FeCrCo magnets.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand how people cant fathom this. This seems to get asked alot. You did very well explaining it.

8. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I too have the Revel Pickups and they're the best WRHBs I've tried so far (though haven't tried Lollar Regals or the new Fender CuNiFe WRHBs). Since it's only the neck pickup, you could try a 1 Meg pot and see if it works. For me 500K is fine and I don't think I'd want my neck pickup brighter.

Reua95 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.