Wide Range Humbucker In Neck Position, Which Pots?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by CWP0126, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When I designed our pickup ring system, I did it so the route could be as small as possible, thereby making the pickup ring smaller.

The key to our design is the beveled corners. It allows us to move the mounting screws in closer to the pickup and hence make a slimmer, less gawky looking pickup ring.

Look on our website at the way the corners of the our routing template are beveled.

And yes, if you route the guitar using our template and mounting rings, they will fit nicely over the standard size humbucker route.

CWP0126 likes this.
  2. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Thanks Telenator,

I checked out your templates and now I understand what you're saying. I like your idea of cutting my own rings out of a pickguard that is ready to go for the WRHBs, I hadn't thought of that and may give it a shot.

Take care!

3. Telenator

The Stratoshpere has pickguards on sale now for $9.99 that are routed for WRHBs. Such a deal!

CWP0126 likes this.
  4. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Thanks Telenator, I will check them out!

5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I tried the 500 K pots in my '72 Thinline RI because I had heard it was good move and it sounded a bit brighter but also lifeless. Put the 250 K pots back in and it was much better balanced and just sounded better to my ears, not dark at all.

Since you have an original WRHB, this may not apply at all.

Robert H., CWP0126 and hrstrat57 like this.
  6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I have Fender AVRI WRHB in my FSR 72 Thinline - I have no doubt that 500k pots would rip your head off.

Certainly with Brandonwound or Lollar you'd want 500k ( tho Lollar website demos r done with 250k and sound good)

CWP0126 likes this.
  7. Telenator

500k pots, I'm opinion, seem to add a little perceived brightness to the first version of the re-issue WRHBs, but at the same time they exaggerate all the other things I don't like about them. The re-voiced version of the re-issue WRHBs sound pretty good just as they are with 250k pots. They just lack complexity, particularly when played clean.

CWP0126 and hrstrat57 like this.
  8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

100% bang on. My 1st orig RI pups frankly were junk unless driven to extreme gain.

The AVRI pups are awesome lightly OD or crunch, but are not perfect clean. For my tone they are marvelous.

CWP0126 likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

One I put in a Custom homebrew a while ago measured 11-12 IIRC. I have a friend with 76 Deluxe, hers I haven't measured out of circuit but they seem even higher.

I'd rethink the meg pots - 500K will be better. Otherwise the guitar will be bright as all get out. WRHBs are a much brighter and less muddy pickup than PAFs can be and I don't even like PAFs with 1 megs.

CWP0126 likes this.
  10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Beware -- I got one for my MIM 72 Custom RI and while the routing for the WRHB was fine, the bit between the pickup and neck pocket was too wide and didn't line up with the body routing... I would have had to remove some wood for a fit. I indicated this to them, suggesting they may want to revise the description but never got a reply.

CWP0126 likes this.
  11. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Wouldn’t 1 Meg pots be accurate for a late 60’s/early 70’s Tele that the OP is going for?

The WRHB will like it and the ‘70 bridge pickup would have had it back in the day. The 220k resistor wired to the treble bleed someone mentioned will make it more usable.

CWP0126 likes this.
  12. Telenator

There are only two things to worry about when using 1 meg pots on WRHBs.

1) If the pickups are NOT original, or built 100% to vintage spec. Although several manufacturers claim to meet "vintage spec," a term which gets throw around quite loosely, there is only 1 company actually doing this. If you have the right pickups, (not re-issues) wire up those 1 megs and listen to it sing! That's how the originals were made to be wired. If you don't like it, then the true vintage sound may just not be for you.

2) If the pickups are not adjusted correctly, you'll be suffering harsh tones. Take the time to get it right. I have created a very thorough guide to setting the pickup heights for WRHBs and many have used it to good effect. I'll post it here again in hopes that it helps others get the most from their pickups! Enjoy!

How to adjust a CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker for the optimum traditional tone.

NOTE: Before you touch anything……. Always start with the height setting first, and then turn the CuNiFe magnets as a fine tuning adjustment once you have the pickup set at the optimum position as described below.

Following this procedure will get you much better results and prevent unnecessary adjustment stresses on a new or vintage CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker. It becomes very easy to start chasing your tail with these pickups if you’re not organized and methodical in your approach.

When you set the pickup height, start with the NECK pickup first.

1) Set all the CuNiFe screw heights even, with the round of the heads just sticking out from the cover. Then lower the exposed G, B and E string magnets flush with the cover.

2) Hold the strings down at the last fret, and adjust the neck pickup height so it sits 8/64's below the strings on the bass and treble sides. Make it level.

3) IMPORTANT: Play for a few minutes and listen to the sound. Listen for the balance, tone and attack. Do not rush this process. Let your ears grow accustomed to the sound.

DO NOT ADJUST THE CuNiFe MAGNETS YET!

4) Start to lower the pickup, just a half turn at a time, to get the bass and treble balanced.

Do not raise the pickup to adjust for weak balance.

Lower the side that is louder. It makes a difference.

As you go lower, you will start to hear some really great tones come from the pickup.

You'll find a sweet spot where the reduced magnetic string pull allows for greater sustain, yet the sound remains very articulate.

5) Stop lowering the pickup when the articulation starts to fade and bring it back up a half turn or so.

You will also notice some really nice “note bloom” from the wound strings where the sound actually swells a bit after you pluck the note. This is the ideal position for those wanting the traditional WRHB sound.

6) If you now notice that one of the strings is still a tiny bit weak, or loud, this is the time to adjust the CuNiFe magnets to get the final balanced sound.

If two or more strings do not sound balanced, re-adjust the pickup height first before attempting to balance it with the CuNiFe magnet screws.

7) Adjust the bridge pickup until the output is balanced with you neck pickup.

The bridge pickup is not nearly as fussy and will not have quite the same characteristics as the neck pickup so it's important to get the neck pickup sounding great first, and then adjust the bridge pickup to the desired balance and output level.

This procedure will yield the best results for those seeking the best traditional tone. Rock it!

CWP0126 likes this.
  13. Telenator

Wow, I didn't know that. Maybe that's why they're only $9.99
    Kinda sucks.

CWP0126 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.