Wide Range Humbucker Destruction and Reincarnation (longish w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jrdamien, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Samsen

Samsen Tele-Meister

Congratulations! You've just found one of the secrets to WRHB tone. Fender, are you taking notes? ;)

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Glad it worked out for you.

Like I said, we tested for several months before arriving at our current formulas. All the information is here on this site somewhere. We're very open about what we do and try help others with their projects.

And yes, the complex harmonics you get from modding to rod magnets is incredible. For straight up rock, I prefer the MOD1 over the CuNiFe.

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it's a bit of a head scratcher why fender didn't do it this way in the first place. But there IS one possible answer. They wouldn't go the threaded magnet route understandably because of the cost. The cost would have been far more than any manufacturer would spend on what they'd see as a small detail in respect to the cost. And non threaded slugs i believe they would never even consider because it wouldn't look like the original, and after all this IS a RI. And while fender has never been one to get the performance/feel details of the reissues perfect, they DO always seem to try and get them to LOOK exactly right cosmetically. they also know that people like you find on forums like this are the minority and most customers aren't near as anal about tone as us. We wouldn't be here is were weren't.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  4. Telenator

In my opinion, the re-issue Telecasters (Thinline, Custom, Deluxe) are superior in build quality to the 70's models they represent.

They just fell short on the pickups. No biggie. There are a lot of options now and let's face it, even if Fender did make a much better pickup for these re-issue guitars, there are still many people who would want to change them anyway.

The only real crime here is that the original WRHB has such a unique sound that the re-issue of these guitars is somewhat of a let down. When compared to the great job Fender has done with so many other re-issue models one would hope that the sound of these Teles would come up close. They don't. And Fender doesn't really offer an upgrade solution as they do for many of their other pickups.

5. fender4life

I still say that the RI WRHB DOES have a unique sound. As i've said before, i tried 3 different humbuckers in mine with a custom pickguard with a standard HB slot at the bridge, and the sound was exactly what i typically get from HB's with all of them, and very different from the RI's. To be honest, it now sound more like regular HB's than it did stock, which is a bit of a drag but well worth it for the way it sounds. And they do still sound different than any standard HB's i've used, just not AS different as it did B4. Not saying they sound like the originals, which by the way i did have back in the 70's and remember loving the heck out of that guitar and noting it's "different" sound. But back then i was too young and inexperienced to appriciate it to the point i'd have kept it. Nothing lasted long for me back then !

And i agree, not only with the MIM RI's, but nearly everything fender makes today including the squier CV's are IMO better ! In the 70's i remember strats with frets that still had file marks in them, neck pockets that were all out of whack. Today it's all CNC and even the wood is better matched than a lot of those old ones. the quality today is worlds better, yet when you think about todays prices would be akin to paying about $50 for a strat back then ! I grew up in the wrong era to be a guitar player !!!

EDIT: i keep meaning to say this but forget....these are SUPER sensitive to height adjustment. Too high and most pickups get brighter but still good in a different way. Not these...these MUST be low IMO. I found you wanna bring them down till they are more balanced and no harsh peaks or anything, then raise them till they start losing that then back off a bit. In other words, not too low to where they start losing too much volume or get too mushy. Just enough to lose whatever it is that sounds lousy when up high. Come to think of it' same as with many HB's, but with this one it's really necassary because it can make a huge difference. Once i found the ideal place it ws hard to put down. About as harmonically rich and full as anything i've ever played and still like a huge full sounding single coil. But if you do this mod or get yours modded by telenator or whatever, take the time to get that height right !!! It can mean the difference between real nice and "holy %$#@" !!!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  6. fender4life

Hmmm....cut the A5 mags on the neck p/u to .420" and it didn't seem to make any difference. Odd. Well, seems about the same so no loss. Maybe i just have to put more time in, as i only played it a few minutes.

EDIT: changed my mind after a bit of play. It's definately worse. Odd how the bridge and A2 benefited but the neck seemed to get muddy. Even putting it up close to the strings didn't help. I have 6 normal length A5 and 6 normal length A2's left. I'm gonna try A2 and A5 in the same pu. Any thoughts as to which coil to put each?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  7. Telenator

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking alnico V. The alnico II sounds great at .420 but we didn't go to the same experiment levels with alnico V. We found right away that we preferred the alnico II and so focused our efforts there.

Have you tried the .420 alnico II in the neck position? It's magic!

8. fender4life

No, only A5. But i don't have enough A2 for it. It sounded pretty good with A5 at full length so i'm going to try A2 and 5 in it since thats what i have in full length. It's a PITA so i'm not really up for all the possibilities, IE cutting more mags, trying each one in different lengths and combos thereof. It was fine as was so i'll try the full length mags i have left and if it sounds as good as before i'll leave it. My main concern was the bridge because it needed the most help, so if the neck is as good with 2 and 5's full e]length as it was with all A5 full length, i'll be fine with it. Just wondering is i should put the 2's in the bridge side or neck side of the coil. I figure bridge side since they are softer than A5 and i don't want any muddiness.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.