Why?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by 4pickupguy, Nov 2, 2018.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Lol, thats funny! I've told this story before but a country band I was in in the 90's played a place where we got a request for Devil Went Down To Georgia every frickin' night. We worked up a version of Devil and Walk This Way by Aerosmith. It would abrupty go from one song to the other like this:

The devil went down to Georgia,
    he was looking for a soul to steal,
    He was way in a bind and way behind
    and willing to make a deal..

So I took a big chance at the highschool dance
    with a missy who was ready to play
    Was it me she was foolin'?
    Cause she knew what she was doin'
    Taught me how to walk this way
    She told me to....

Fire on the mountain run boys, run
    The devils in the house of the risin' sun...etc,...

It kinda backfired on us because the bar tenders and waitresses kept requesting that one (>_<)...

P.S. When Cocaine starts to give you the shakes, its definately time to stop doing it .

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

A local acoustic guitar solo performer wrote a song "Stairway to Freebird " about idiots requesting him to do them. The concept is better than the song, but still.

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

It occurs to me I play nearly every one of those tunes, the fact of the matter is, I still play over 100 shows a year & the clubs keep having us back. I just try and play them to the best of my ability and that seems to keep them from becoming hackneyed.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Here in the UK rocknroll scene, the most overplayed songs are Matchbox, Twenty Flight Rock and Little Sister. Plus everything by Gene Vincent.

Paul in Colorado, dlew919 and Tony474 like this.
  5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Because if you are playing in a working cover band, you are expected to play that stuff if the masses want it. It may be "beneath" you, and you are tired of it, but that's what gets bands hired, people dance, they buy drinks, and the house is happy. If it will get my band more and better paying gigs, I will always play "schlock", after all I'm more a professional musician, than I am a "temperamental artist" If it's really not your cup of tea, I suppose you should go the studio musician route, or be an all original rock star. (most start out playing schlock on the way up)

6. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

duplicate post

7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid TDPRI Member

I could tolerate the ones the OP listed...and others mentioned throughout the thread. The ones that really started to nauseate me were Sweet Caroline and Margaritaville. The problem was people LOVED these songs. This was in a duo I played in. We played about 50 times a year and could have kept doing so, but I decided I had enough. So I joined a full band where the tunes are less nauseating :). We do Brown Eyed Girl, but at the end we jump into a ska'ed up version of it which is fun.

8. ChrisNY

ChrisNY TDPRI Member

If the venue is paying and the people are dancing, I'll play what they want to hear. I always try to remember that the song I've played a million times may be someone's favorite. Any person laying out their hard earned cash to see me play should be able to sing along and dance to their favorite song, no matter how many times I've played it.

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

white liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiines ...

24 track likes this.
  10. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

wire got sick of playing their early material, so they hired a wire cover band to open for them, playing those songs.

Gin Mill Cowboy likes this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was messing around at home yesterday. just playing whatever came to mind and I did Brown Eyed Girl somewhere between a reggae and ska beat. It was kind of fun. Don't know if I'd ever play it out again, but there are worse songs. Sweet Caroline comes to mind. I was once in a duo with tracks that did "The Wind Beneath My Wings." Man, I HATE that song. It just reminds me of an unpleasant couple where the woman would give him googly eyes and say "You're my hero." in a little girl kind of voice.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

They make girls dance. I like to watch girls dance. I'm old and have a dirty mind. I love these songs.

Tony474 likes this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There is no need to play this old tired crap anymore, unless you just like it. And if you do, no judgement here. I really like some stuff y’all would probably not be crazy about.

But for real, there are literally thousands of simple chord structure super popular danceable songs to choose from. There’s no need to play these three any longer. Or many of the other ones listed here.

Mustang Sally, Sweet Home Alabama, and Wagon Wheel are $100 requests for me. I’ll be happy to do them. For $100.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

I think the time factor is another reason why these same tunes get rehashed endlessly. You can throw together 3 sets,no rehearsal and just play chestnuts everybody knows,the songs people generally want to hear-why fight it. Nobody (or at least 99%) wants to hear King Crimson,Rush,Steely Dan or Yngwie or least of all originals. I think bar music should be relatively simple blues,rock,country and funk. Even when bands play Europa, or Hotel California-its like shut up....because it is better to play simple music well than complex music in a mediocre fashion-

Jim603 likes this.
  15. rickym

rickym Tele-Meister

We play "Mustang" only by request. And we do it because we don't see no guys doin' the requestin'!

16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I agree, but its not always the case. In the '70s we were blessed here; our favorite local band did Steely Dan perfectly, "Birdland" w better keys (no sax tho), and "Freeway Jam" w better guitar. The second best local band did a killer "Born to Run" and a superb "Europa". In an area w no cities, only small towns and country.

17. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Yeah I hear you. I used to do those types of tunes too Birdland etc. but at least where I am it was really hard to get gigs doing that stuff. I'm actually doing an all instrumental band right now but I have no idea if it will ever gig, I have got us something at an art gallery in a couple of months and that's it. We do some Weather Report/King Crimson/lots of jamming my originals etc. I figure I have a day job so I might as well play what I want. I don't want to torment bar patrons wanting familiar covers so I'm trying to find artsy type venues where this type of stuff fits.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

19. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

We play these songs because they are requested a lot and tend to be crowd favorites. When I get request for Brown Eyed Girl, I tell the crowd before we start the song, that if I got one half cent for every time I had to sing that tune, I could've paid off the national debt three times over.I could add quite a few more tunes to that list but when the crowd wants them, we play them. After all, isn't that what your getting paid for, to entertain your audience.

Tony474 likes this.
  20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

There is one band that I play in regularly that considers itself a "party band".... it does not apologize for doing every song the people always want to hear. Those include (but are not limited to) Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Boot Scoot'n Boogie, Jessie's Girl, Guitar Town, Don't Stop Believing, etc... etc... etc....

It doesn't get old with that group... why? Because it's a 6 piece band of great musicians that play the songs really well... and authentic! Watching a crowd have the time of their lives song after song never gets old.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather play songs I like and/or a bunch of originals. But there is an audience for that, and there is an audience for the classics. They aren't always interchangeable.

Tony474 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.