1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why You Should Put a Strat Neck Pickup in Your Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Hoodster, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Purists will disagree, but here's my take on the matter:

2. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

I have one in my MIJ JD telecaster and like it very much!

Hoodster likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've done it a bunch, without modifying the body or the pickguard in most cases. Yeah, it does punch up the tone.

Remove the plastic cover and most pickups will fit through the Tele neck pickup cutout. It does help to apply several wraps of cloth tape to the coil to protect the wire on the bobbin.

[​IMG]

4. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have at one time or another installed most of the "strat sounding" tele neck pickups, with the best so far being the Lollar Royal T, but nothing beats a real strat pickup in the tele neck position.

theprofessor, Ricky D. and Cali Dude like this.
  5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I put a Maida Vale A3 strat neck pickup along with a cover and a new pickgard to try it out in my Tele .It sounded good .Warm and Jazzy .I have just got another VanZant neck pickup so put that back in .Both works well .Not over sure its worth the bother .I do have a four way though which boosts up the Van Zants loverly but less so with the A3.To be honest the 4 way is the killer . Job to know until I can wack it through a larger amp at volume with a 12 inch speaker though .

6. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

My current Tele has a Gemini Suprocaster in the bridge, and a Bootstrap '54 Sparkle Strat pickup in the neck. This has been a fantastic set for me, and really captures the funky tone I'm looking for. I was worried a bit that by getting rid of the Tele neck pickup that I might lose some of the more traditional jazz tone that I was used to getting, but it didn't happen. That '54 sparkle does jazz just fine. I'm totally happy with this pickup pairing, which rarely happens for me.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I started primarily playing Teles back in the later 90's, after mostly playing Strats before that. The Tele bridge pickup was great, and I actually preferred it to the Strat bridge pickup. But at least at the time, I couldn't really get what I wanted from the Tele neck pickup.

I also was listening to a lot of Hellecasters stuff in the late 90's, and Jerry Donahue's Tele had a Strat neck pickup in it. That must have been the primary impetus for me to give it a try on my own.

So by '99, all of my Teles got Strat neck pickups. That includes the one in my avatar (the one at the time I'm posting this, anyway).

I think it was about 4 or 5 years ago that I started trying Tele neck pickups again. I'd also dabbled before that with some with the covers removed. I discovered that as long as the cover is nickel silver, then I can usually get enough treble out of it.

My tastes have also changed in the last decade or so. I've kind of burnt out on playing blues-rock, and don't play so much surf-based stuff as I used to. For those reasons, the Tele neck pickup is actually now a bit of a better fit.

kmaster likes this.
  8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I have a Zhangbucker Bell Tone Tele neck in my Tele's neck, but I also have a bunch of his Strat pickups...

The Bell Tone neck is the best Tele neck that I've used, but it still is a bit dark. I rarely use it, even though it's much better than what has been in previously.

It can't hurt to try, and it won't cost me anything, so, thanks OP! I have a fun project for this week!

9. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

custom shop twisted tele neck pup is pretty amazing to my ears

Dismalhead and srblue5 like this.
  10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

1) But I have a Strat-type USA Legacy already.

2) The middle sound is more appealing to me with a woodier vintage neck pickup than a Strattish one.

3) My only exception to the above would be if I owned an ASAT Classic with the MFDs (the non-Alnico version). Those sound less Tele but better than Strat-in-Tele to me as well.

BUT we all have our own tastes, so enjoy!

11. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

I like a Strat neck and middle in my Tele. But that's probably because I like sticking with one solid body guitar so I try to put all my favorite tones in one guitar.

Favorites are Duncan Classic Stack Plus (just a touch warmer and louder than classic strat pickups, to my ears) and Benson Custom Texas Specials for real deal big strat tones.

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I’ve always wanted to try the Classic Stack Plus and thought the extra oomph might work well in the neck of a Duo Sonic or Mustang.

13. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Yep, I could picture that working well. Give it a try!

14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

No.

Just no.

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's what the Twisted Tele pickup is. A Strat pickup under a Tele neck pickup cover

16. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I've got one with Strat neck and bridge pickups (began life as a HS tele); neck and middle positions sound great, bridge is ok.

17. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Why worry, just play an Esquire!

18. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

my profile pic taken 12 years ago, strat pickup in neck

19. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

The whole thing about 'the Tele neck is dark' is hoax driven by the dark mode on vintage Telecasters and Seymour's wrong decision to put on a brass cover. Use a vintage incorrect pure nickel cover on your SD pickup and you will 'hear' the sun rise.

Chicken Curry likes this.
  20. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

'nuff said.

scook likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.