Why You need a beater guitar....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gusfinley, Oct 25, 2021.

1. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I've thought about this while talking to co-workers the past few years. I had some time this weekend and put a video together.

Sadly, no mention of the tele. Does a tele make a good "beater?"

2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

A Tele is a perfect beater guitar

jvin248, DekeDog, String Tree and 7 others like this.
  3. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I need to try one when I have my AC15 build completed. I'd have to start with a beater since I've never really played one. o_O

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

a 100 dollar squier is the perfect beater whether its a tele or strat

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

The perfect beater is that dream partscaster you set out to build . . .

bobk, Steve Holt, Sax-son and 6 others like this.
  6. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

You need a beater guitar to use it as a weapon and hit an a**hole from the audience who is walking on the stage while you are playing :rolleyes:

7. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That's one of the main charms of a Tele - you can play a set, use it to bust out the windshield of your cheatin'-ass girlfriend's new boytoy's car on break, and go back up and finish out the night. And it'll still be in tune. :cool:

8. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Here's my "beater" (I prefer the term "knockaround") acoustic:
    Teton STS100NT Dreadnought
    $319 on Reverb every day

[​IMG]

Got this to play on the back porch while swilling PBR, or around campfires similarly occupied.
    Then set it out in my office within arm's reach and found myself playing it every day.
    Sounds great, plays great, and at this price I'm not afraid to take it along.

playforfun and RobRiggs like this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

My California Tele was my travel guitar take-apart-Tele a la Gatton, with steel machine thread inserts I installed so the neck easily came off and went on for airline travel inside a folded gig bag, padded with some clothing. Not a beater, well cared for, but a road dog.

Used it for years and played in Denver, SF, etc.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Skyhook, Gris, Obsessed and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wooly Fox

Wooly Fox Tele-Meister

My 2004 Squire is my beater guitar in my collection and the one I use for soldering practice, experiments and faking jazz...

11. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Tele's, especially ash body T's, are virtually indestructable. When Leo came out with his invention, this trait was one of the primary factors that caused the orders to flow into the shop in droves. They could hardly keep up with the orders. Working musicians no longer had to worry so much about a guitar that was fragile, yet sounded good and was easy to mod/repair if needed, and the T fit the bill. Yes... Tele's are the perfect beater guitar.

EDIT: I guess I didn't answer the original question in the subject line LOL!!! I own a few beater guitars but only bring them out if the environ will be damaging to my beloved guitars, but it's pretty rare that I do so. I tend to avoid such environs that might be an issue so... there we have it ;)

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve got no beater guitars.
    They’re all nice.
    i’m so ashamed.
    I’ll rush right out and get a few!

13. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

In 50+ years of playing I've never needed a beater guitar. Probably won't be getting one now.

14. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Major Tom is a most excellent campfire beater...
    20180808_221134.jpg

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I pretty much have the exact opposite Outlook on guitars.

I'm not rich so money is a factor for me. The nice guitars I have come from multiple years of buying selling and trading guitars. I could not afford to just buy them. That being said, I do not keep my nice guitars protected in a case at all times

I bought them to enjoy. If they're in the cases all the time then I really only needed to buy cases.

So my guitars are on the wall at home and in the jam spot they are on stands. I do the same same with a $3000 guitar as I do with a $100 guitar. I have more guitars than hangers and stands so ultimately most guitars do spend most their time in the cases but only because I don't have enough wall and floor space to have them out. I rotate what's on the wall frequently.

Cases aren't a magic place that have a different climate than the climate the cases are in. They would protect from some kind of cold breeze but rest assured whatever the temperature and humidity are outside the case, it's the same inside.

As a guitar addict who has gone through well over 300 guitars it's possible i simply haven't kept the majority of the guitars long enough to realize any damage I'm causing by leaving them out.

Except there's this guitar (61 SG on the left).
    IMG_20211021_022150663.jpg
    I bought this guitar used in 2010-ish.
    It has to be my favorite guitar of all time as it's the only guitar I've kept this long and it's the only guitar I've never modified.

It gets put in the case for travel and is otherwise never in a case. It has Nitro and being an SG is less tough of a guitar than other designs. Yet, there are no issues with it. I've done nothing to keep it safe and protected.

I bought it because I want to enjoy it.

For me there's no beater guitars. I may have inexpensive guitars but only because I like them and then are treated the same as any other guitar.

One thing I don't do is keep guitars in spaces I don't live in. So the only times guitars have been stored in a basement is when I lived in a basement.

16. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Teles are good beaters. The bolt on neck and hard tail piece make them especially rugged. Strats are tough too but don't have the same level of tuning stability like a Tele.

57joonya, Happy Enchilada and Gris like this.
  17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

It all boils down to: who are you wanting to beat with it. If it's a big guy, go for a Les Paul. Most smaller offenders can be scared off by a Tele, or even a Strat, but that might be overkill.

Tele-friend likes this.
  18. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I take my homemade Telecaster to gigs that might be a little sketchy, but even it is a nice guitar, as far as they go. But yes, it's nice to have something you're not worried about all the time.

19. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

A couple years ago I was completing a work-related task with a woman in a different department and I noticed she had a Taylor guitar case next to her desk. I said "Taylor, nice" and she replied "Oh that's my beater." I did not have the presence of mind to ask what her non-beater was.

Deathray likes this.
  20. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have all my stuff laid out and I'm going to take apart my beater today and clean it for the second time in 20 years. Ibanez PF6 dreadnought.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.