Why would someone buy a custom guitar?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fretman_2, Sep 3, 2014.

1. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Quality. I put together or build my own because fender instrument quality is so low even on their best guitars. It's the same with other manufacturers these days too. I'm just a strat/tele type of guy. I've owned and played plenty of fenders. They are just to frustrating to play. Constant tuning having to re set them up if they go outside or a day goes by. Other problems with guitars that just should happen right out of the factory. The tone and sound quality is so bad on even there best pickups. Their MIM and squires are even worse. The list goes on and on.

I know if I had a factory i could put together something much higher in quality. Something a kid could save up working after school jobs for and know no matter what guitar they bought from me it would be a great playing, Great sounding instrument that would last a lifetime. There would be no playing 50 different guitars and trying to find the best dud out of all the duds. I wouldn't make starter guitars or learners guitars. I would make musical instruments the best I could and that would be that.

I mean all guitar manufactures make them like that too. These companies have been trying to cater to trends so long trying to milk kids out of their bottom dollar. Sacrificing every once of quality along the way. Because they can trick ten kids to buy a 300 dollar hunk of junk and when the kid that actually needs works his butt of to buy something nice because he needs it companies like fender just end up duping another kid Because they can't deliver a guitar that plays or sounds worth a dang. They have been pandering to trends and trying to dupe kids out of money by glamorizing there hopes and dreams. Somewhere along they way they either forgot or stopped caring about how to make a decent musical instrument or amplifier.

Your not going to get better than a custom made or hand crafted musical instrument if the builder knows what they are doing. On the other hand Companies making them today could still make an instrument the was great a bit cheaper than a custom made guitar or hand crafted and still be a instrument to reckon with. They don't so that's why I build my own custom guitars and amps. I need something I can count on no matter what.

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I decided a couple of years ago to roll my own with 3 different partscasters. Then last year I put together the tools to make them and the beauty for me is knowing exactly what goes into each one. If someone wants me to do one for them I'll make sure they have a hand in it so they have that same satisfaction. I have 2 Gibbys and 2 Fenders off the rack and I love them but playing one I made myself is real satisfying. Not everyone has the time nor ability so getting someone to build one should have some of that satisfaction.

3. Pisgah

Pisgah Tele-Meister

My main shotgun is custom fit, will not fit anyone else, and will never sell for what I paid, but it hits everything I point it at and I smile every time I hold it in my hands. I suspect that a custom guitar is much the same for serious players. As far as expense, can't a pro write his instrument off on his taxes?

4. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Humm...haven't thought of that!

5. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

This is a tricky one because, yes, you can offset income if you're self-employed with the expenses that you incur to generate said income.

The problem is that most professional musicians aren't the best about claiming all of that income on their 1099 that they would file with their taxes. Musicians are also notoriously unorganized in their non-music lives, so keeping receipts straight and proper escapes most of them....until they really make it and they can afford accounts and 'people.'

Another thing to consider is that a guitar is an asset and thus must be depreciated over it's usable life as determined by the IRS. I'm not sure how the IRS deals with amps and guitars, they may even let you write it all off in the first year, but probably not.

Repairs, travel, lodging, and things like that are all certainly acceptable deductions for traveling professional musicians....as are a fraction of utilities if you have a home recording studio or rehearsal area (under the home office provision you can take the used square footage divided by total and allocate utilities and other expenses to the 'business').

To make things easy for musicians, we offer what basically amounts to a monthly service contract that they can write off and it covers all labor for repairs, tune ups, and services.

6. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Yea...musicians in general aren't very organized....I think it comes hand in hand with being creative!

7. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

I wanted a strat with a thick neck and couldn't find one at the time. I also wasn't confident putting together my own parts caster at the time.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If ya wanted one, why not?

Ron Kirn

9. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Presumably, if someone bought one it would be because they wanted one. The question is why would someone want one and that is what we have been talking about?

Man....

10. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

One issue that seems to come up often in this thread is the thought of resale value.

I'm not so sure that would be my first thought. Wouldn't how the guitar feels to you, fits your style and plays be the most important aspect?

From the stories I've read about some of the coveted star guitars, some of them (David Gilmour - Jimi Hendrix - The Edge - etc) just bought stuff right off the shelf (granted it was many years ago) or stumbled upon a used one that worked (Jimmy Page bought Number 1 from Joe Walsh - Stevie Ray's Number 1 was given to him in 1973) for them.

But they all seem to have one thing in common. They bought them and continued using them for long periods of their career. The question is, did they find the perfect guitar right away or did they just become so comfortable with that guitar, it just didn't feel "right" using any other?

Now again from what I've read, there are countless numbers of forgeries and fakes on the market. Especially when it comes to the most prized guitars on the market.

So why wouldn't you want to buy a custom made guitar? To me it seems like the most logical step. I would certainly pay to have a builder like Gil Yaron or Ron Kirn personally build a guitar just right for me, then to spend more money to get a "Custom" shop instrument from the big two.

Just my opinion...

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

In the 60's and 70's you were lucky to have one Fender or Gibson guitar..... I knew one guy with a Fender and one guy with a Gibson...

I'd be willing to bet the working musicians didn't sit around and whine over details too much and things were probably pretty consistant size- wise...as much as they could be anyway :) The complaining seemed to start when the companies started putting out less quality work ( Norlin and CBS eras) to help with the bottom line and things didn't compare to the " old" guitars.

12. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Jimi's number one was a CBS era strat with a black poly finish.

13. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

I think you are slightly full of yourself.

The big companies put out some decent stuff.

14. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I agree. I love building and will probably never buy another guitar. But I have an American Strat that I played for quite a few years and always enjoyed. I don't think I've played out with it since I finished my first Tele build, but I still fire it up occasionally at home and it still makes me smile. In my book that makes it a decent instrument.

15. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

A custom guitar should offer something that the corporations don't.

16. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I don't think that companies make mediocre guitars, serious ones make serious guitars. And we love them as well, nothing else would explain why we all drool when we see an older Rickenbacker or an ancient Fender etc.

What we want from the custom builder is a history, a story to that particular guitar. We wanna know if he cut himself and a drop of blood landed on that maple top, we wanna know if he cursed when sanding inside the horn and we wanna know how he sat at the desk two hours when trying to figure out how to implement a silly idea of ours on that guitar.

This exactly is what a bar code can not give us. This is also the reason why big shots only make documentaries of very special projects. Drop some serious cash on the table and you'll get this treatment from a bigger manufacturer as well.

All in all it's not rocket science.

We all just wanna be special, feel special. That's all!

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The answer to that is always "YES"... :D

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Because it's tailored to fit the individual.

19. bargoedboy

bargoedboy Tele-Afflicted

I think there is no one answer here, each guitar speaks to you differently, some people buy and an old Squier JV tele and it's so perfect for them that's all they will ever need. Some prefer completely off the wall versions of a guitar that they have used, everybody is different.
    Cost is a big factor as well, I have real problems due to arthritis playing small necks, so I got a local builder to make me a new extra fat tele neck, it's huge but has helped me continue playing. I then got him to make me a custom guitar with similar neck on a LP Jnr/PRS style single P90 pickup and again it's perfect.... For me. If I had tried to get a big name like Fender Or Gibson to make that it would have been out of my reach.

For your interest, here they are.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

If I ever hit the lottery, I think I'd order custom guitars with the same specs from a lot of different builders, just to see the differences.

Of course, I'd also make a Slipnslide out of gold doubloons....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.