1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why would non authorized dealer have new stock?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TeleUpNorth, Apr 8, 2021.

1. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I’m planning to purchase a Squier this week. Been perusing stock at various places and I found a “used” one a bit cheaper than new. Messages the store and the employee says it’s new, but they aren’t an authorized dealer and hence can’t list it as new. I can’t find any markings to show it’s a second, what other reason could there be that they’d have new stock?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

One of their distributers may have had a deal on them (or not), and they ordered one (or more) due to their popularity to increase customer traffic. My dollar2ninety8.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Short answer: they wouldn't

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

They may have bought stock from a store that closed.

It could even be something as weird as them being an authorized dealer for a competing brand, and retention of that status includes them having agreed not to sell certain other brands as 'new'. These sorts of rules do exist, and it's goofy as hell. I'll guess Gibson.

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

It could be as simple as what's known this side of the pond as a 'grey import'.

When I was into cameras, I had Nikon gear. If I bought from a main dealer, I paid the price and got full Nikon warranty. However there were dealers that sold the same product at a temptingly lower price. These dealers imported the product where they got the best deal and so sold lower. Main difference being, Nikon UK did not offer warranty support on products they did not distribute.

TeleUpNorth, GeneB and stormsedge like this.
  6. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

There was a shop around here that lost their deal with Fender and Gibson and a few others. Real low class place. This was about 20 years ago. The owner started buying those guitars from Musicians Friend and then selling them in his store at slightly higher prices. Until he got busted. That shop no longer exists.

stormsedge and TeleUpNorth like this.
  7. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Thanks for the helpful replies. I just remember in my years working at a music go round that we only got factory seconds of brands we weren’t authorized dealers of, and we were quite forthcoming about that. Most of them were just blemished.

So if it’s a Squier limited run that retails at $400 and a handful of dealers have them at that price, is it worth saving $50 to buy from a non authorized dealer is the question in the end I suppose.

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

That depends on you. If you are able to handle and play the guitar prior to purchase to establish there are no noticeable flaws...why not? Better than buying online where a return is sometimes tough.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  9. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I wish I could get one in hand. Either purchase will be online...the “used” is listed as-is unless arrives unlike description. So that’s my big worry, but does appear new.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    stormsedge likes this.
  10. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

This is the usual explanation. I used to work in a store that did this, and learned that it was a common practice:

Authorized dealer wants, say, 6 of a particular guitar. But either they are required (by their dealer plan) to buy 10, or they get a significant price break at 10. So they get 10 and sell 4 to an unauthorized store at a bit above cost. The unauthorized store is typically some distance away, but within driving distance so that they don't have to absorb shipping costs. The guitars are in new condition, but, depending on how the manufacturer handles warranty claims, they may be sold as used.
    I for one see no problem with this.

kennl, BradKM and TeleUpNorth like this.
  11. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I messaged him this morning and he said he does work for other shops in the area. Repairs broken headstocks and other issues and at times takes new guitars as payment from them. I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy that one, $50 could get me some new Bootstraps for it.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  12. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

I worked at a small store many years ago that did this occasionally in conjunction with a slightly larger dealer in the next town over. We'd take overstock and make special orders...paying cost or slightly above for the instruments. Warranty cards were filled out with info from the authorized dealer...we basically acted as an intermediary. Not exactly kosher with the manufacturers, probably, but it allowed their smaller dealers to meet purchase requirements and keep the brand in a market that wouldn't otherwise support it.

jfgesquire, mkdaws32 and TeleUpNorth like this.
  13. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

There a so many ways to buy a Squier, new or used. Why would you consider one from a questionable source that costs just a little less then a new one?

Frodebro likes this.
  14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I have an '80's MIK Fender Strat that, if internet lore is to be believed, was made for sale in the non-US market, but somehow ended up in a shop in my grandparent's tiny Missouri farm town.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

When I bought my Squier CV Blonde I called Guitar Center during a big sale. I went through a few guitars with the rep and was "bummed" that the CV wasn't included in the 15% off sale because if it were then "I would likely buy the guitar and the case right then."

Ta-da! They gave me the discount and on my GC gear card it was no interest for 6 months.

Full manufacturer warranty so I was comfortable buying the guitar over the phone, and I had it shipped to my local GC so I could open it up and play it right there in case there were any defects.

To me, that was the absolute best way to buy a guitar sight unseen.

telemnemonics and TeleUpNorth like this.
  16. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I get that in a lot of ways. A new guitar doesn’t mean much to me, used is usually what I buy. The $50 might not be much to some, but my gear budget is limited due to family being the more important thing in the budget. If I can save $50 buying it that’s money I can spend on pickups if I don’t like them or a pedal.

JSMac likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Alibaba?

Since Fender does not make these guitars, or really control what those factories do, you can buy all sorts of parts made in the same factories, some with the Squier logo on the headstock.
    And you can buy whole guitars made in China that look like Squiers and are made on the same factory line as the Squiers.
    Is there any way for FMIC to prevent sale of guitars made in the factories FMIC contracts with?

Hard to say when buying one brand made by some other company who sticks on whichever label the production ticket says.

18. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

My buddy worked at the local Music Go Round and they would make some wholesale deals with some Big Boxes for B stock, returns and factory 2nds.

I don't know that is what you were looking at and why they are 'not new' but never 'owned'.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Just buy a Gibson on Alibaba!
    90% off sale price!

20. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I have seen the scenario hobs describes above in play
    Authorized dealer gets best price and mom&pop store gets a desirable instrument to sell “used”
    Dealer moves more product
    Win win win

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.