1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why would I want more than one Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gloveberg, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I pondered this as I did my daily browsing of eBay/Craigslist/Reverb/What have you....

My modest collection consists of:

78 Fender Mustang - A gift from my parents in '84 (I think) and while it's fun to bang around on and I'll probably never sell it I don't really want another one.

Ibanez Artcore AS73 - Nice guitar that fills my "need" for a semi hollow. I really like it but again wouldn't get another one.

Epiphone LP Standard - My baby. First guitar I ever bought new and gives me that desired crunch when needed. Love this guitar but honestly don't see the point in buying another one except to have different colors. Maybe one with P90's I could justify but that would be it.

Then the Tele's:

Classic Vibe BSB - Love it. Plays nice, gets great tones and looks much more expensive than it is. Knew I was going to buy it the second the guy took it out of the case.

Affinity Tele - Got it for hardly nothing in the Classified section then put maybe $60 into the thing to make it an Esquire. Loads of fun, sounds good and plays good.

The point of all this? I keep looking at more Tele's!! They're the only ones I have that I keep wanting more of. Why? Versatility? Price?

There's Esquire's, Tele's with humbucker's, Tele's with P90's, Tele's with single coils and HB's, Vintage Modified, Modern Player, etc., prices that range from $100 to maybe $500 and everything in between. There's seemingly so many different styles and I want them all and it's not like Les Paul's where it seems you're just buying different colors of the same guitar (and that's not a dig at LP's either).

I never thought it made much sense to have more than one of the same guitar but this Tele thing seems to be a weird addiction.

2. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Open Tunings - Especially if you play in a band.

2 Teles - One in Open G, One in Open E. I would like another 2 or 3 Tele's for DADGAD, DACGCD (Rain Song) & Open D. And maybe another with a B-Bender.

3. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

Is it possible too have too many Teles? I never thought it was...

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

You need to colour co-ordinate with your shirt.

5. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Because I need a thinline with humbuggers to compliment my Baja.

6. Williams

Williams Tele-Meister

A solid body Tele, a humbucker equipped Tele, a Thinline Tele.

That's three so far…oh wait….a set-neck Tele….that's four…

7. Phrasemaker

Phrasemaker Tele-Meister

Personally speaking, there are certain guitars for various reasons which suit my mood on a given day. Every guitar I own has some individual aspect which is different to anything else I own. Aside from the last few months where work and other interruptions have kept me busy, I usually spend a lot of time writing and recording my own material. It's part of the inspiration process having the option to pick up a guitar which seems appropriate for the overall feel of what I'm working on.

8. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

These 3 are the core of my guitar collection with 3 different sounds:
    1. Lite Ash has classic/vintage Tele sound from Seymour Duncans.
    2. Black Paisley is basically a MIM Standard with the original modern sounding pickups (my favorite sound).
    3. Blacktop has humbuckers.

I have other Teles but they generally fill the same roles musically as those above. I have them because although black is my favorite I can't resist more colors. I have one Epi Les Paul and one Classic Vibe Strat and don't feel a need for any more of either type. Multiple Teles seems logical for me.

Every thread is better with pictures.

[​IMG]

9. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I feel your pain. I have a similar problem with Strats. But the fact that we have more than one (and, dare I say it, more than one guitar?) creates its own problems such as, "Which one shall I play today/next?" or, "Am I bonding with these equally?" as we don't want any to feel left out, do we?
    I recently started gigging again after many years "off" and I think guitar collecting had taken over from guitar playing. So now the question is which one is best suited to the band. And I've actually started to downsize the "herd" just because, at my age, it makes decision making easier.
    So try that: if you're not already in a band, join/form one and then you'll have no time for scouring CL and the like. And it will save, even earn you money!
    What's not to like?

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Teles are also good trade value because, just like you, everybody wants a tele.

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Why do I need more Teles? That's easy. If I don't get more Teles where am I going to put all these nice pickups and parts that I keep buying?

12. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

I would answer the op's question with my own question? Why would I want more than 7 Teles?. Currently GASing for #8...luckily it is a long drive away on CL..

13. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

GAS :)

14. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Boy, my experience on this side of the pond mirrors yours!

As far as Teles, I have two. With different single coils for a slightly different sound, although either can cover for the other. Since the Teles are my workhorses, I like to have backup. My two other guitars, a Strat, and Hamer Special, are great, but I really don't feel the need for backup with those.

15. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

My wife asks me why I have so many guitars. I then ask why she has so much jewelry? So that takes care of that part.

Know what is better than 1 Tele? TWO

One Tele is not the same as the next so the question shoukd really be, why not have more than one?

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Paging Drs. Hiland and Paisley STAT!!!

Dr. Hiland: He has all the classic signs of acute early-stage G.A.S. including the denial.

Dr. Paisley: When they go...they go all the way... NURSE GOODBODY!!!! Get this man 20ccs of Fender twang STAT!!! If he doesn't respond to that, administer another 5cc dose of Partscaster finds.

Nurse Goodbody: Yes, Doctor.

Dr. Hiland: We may have to go with a custom-built treatment if that doesn't take. Better put on some Buck Owens...keep his mind busy. Have we notified his next of kin?

Dr. Paisley: He has a wife...she's even more in denial than him. Calls it his "hobby"...classic enabler. Damnit, John! How many lives have to be destroyed by this before someone finds a cure?

Dr. Hiland: I don't know, Brad. I just don't know. Say, it's almost time for shift change. Are we still jamming?

Dr. Paisley: Sure, I'll bring the teles if you bring the espresso.

Dr. Hiland: Which ones are you bringing?

Dr. Paisley: I don't know, I'll just grab a bunch....maybe I'll use the Wheel.

Dr. Hiland: The Wheel?

Dr. Paisley: Sure, that's how I pick which one to play. Spin the wheel. Of course, when I have more teles than will fit on the wheel, I don't know what I'll do...

Dr. Hiland: I need to build one of those...but first I have my eye on this sweet little thinline...

Nurse Goodbody (from the doorway): Guitars, guitars, GUITARS!!! No WONDER they don't notice me!!! Humph!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, the scene you've just witnessed could have occurred in any major medical institution in our nation. But it's emblematic of a wider epidemic afflicting our musical citizens. A silent struggle that goes on in households everywhere, night after night. The Hunger. The Lust. The Shame and Degradation. Destroyed marriages. Lost productivity. Rampant dissatisfaction. Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or G.A.S., is destroying our best musical minds and turning them into craven, insatiable arm-chair twang-stars with voracious appetites that are never filled. See it now in living color in this latest production THE TELECASTER FIENDS (or A Twang of Hunger!)...Witness lives destroyed by an instrument Leo designed for joy, now warped into a self-feeding source of perpetual lust.

Happens to the best of us. I've been combating it by trying to sell and replace some..and gave one away to a friend. I'm under conviction about it, honestly. But I think, seriously, it's symptomatic of the tele's component-based design and endless customization options. You can't take a Les Paul and say..."I think I'd prefer one with a fatter/thinner neck" and swap out the neck...you have to buy a new Les Paul...and unless you're Bill Gates, Donald Trump or some kind of trust fund baby, that's just not feasible. But with teles the wonder and the intrigue of tinkering is always there...it's a hot rod customizer mentality. It's never really "done."

Like I said, happens to us all to some degree. But I try to remind myself my joy comes from above, not all the stuff I can grab down here below. I do customize all of mine to my personal tastes and for increased versatility...and then then try to stay focused on playing music. Doesn't change the struggle much, but I try. Oh, and the "join a band" advice is good. I'm working two jobs, running a business and volunteering heavily at church and still G.A.S.sing...maybe a band would work...or an Esquire pinecaster with a fattie neck and a Klein Epic Esquire pickup...

17. jwag

jwag Tele-Meister

You can NEVER have too many Tele's. I have a few set up a little differently.

2002 MIM / Alder
    CS Texas Specials

2014 American Standard / Alder
    Twisted Tele/Broadcaster set

2012 American Standard / Ash
    CS Nocaster set

They're all similar but still different enough to have a little variety.

18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I have to remember this if I ever get married. I do keep dreaming that one day I'll be sitting in Starbucks, waiting from someone to show up in answer to my craigslist ad to buy one of my many teles and SHE walks in...the prettiest gal I've ever seen, with a Bible in one hand and a tele in the other...and she loves redheaded chicken pickers!

I, er, uhh...second this. Ahem.

Better check my ebay watch list...

19. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

For me, the question isn't "Why more Teles?" but "Why would I ever need any other type of guitar?"

My Baja is my number one; it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. I also have a 72 Custom that lives in Open G and whose job is to play Rolling Stones songs.

I'd still like an Esquire, both types of Thinline, a B-Bender, a Bigsby and possibly a Cabronita too. Plus I've been after a P90 Squier Tele Custom for a while. These things look like great fun:

[​IMG]

20. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Most of the common sense reasons have already been covered so I'll just say that at my house...Tele happens...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.