1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why would I want a Jazzmaster, if I have a tele and a strat?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Lobomov, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

If you like it, why not keep it? If you don't play it, sell it.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I don't have a "real" Strat, only a G&L, and I don't have "real" Teles, only a G&L and a Peavey, but I do have a Squier Jazzmaster. I think I'll go get it out of storage someday soon. I think they all have their place although I didn't like the Squier Strat I had for awhile. One challenge I have with all single coil guitars is how to manage them when the gain gets a little higher - I suppose dialling down the tone knob is helpful, otherwise they can be piercing. My recollection is that I was able to get better crunch and higher gain sounds from the JM, which struck me as a little unexpected since it is so bright.

I mess with the "rhythm" circuit occasionally but it goes counter to my "simpler is better" ethic.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

If you don’t play it then sell it.
    At one point I was on a mission to collect most of iconic instruments to have their unique sounds in my “stable”. Had a beautiful Les Paul R8, a Ric 620-12 (nothing replicates that Ric jingle-jangle), Electromatic Gretsch and a 339. I was planning to acquire a Jazzmaster. Then I realized I only played my Teles and Strats and was quite happy. I forgot about the Jazzmaster and sold all but my Teles and Strats.
    I love guitars and the beauty, aesthetics of various designs and their unique tones but they don’t always serve a purpose.

4. no doz

no doz TDPRI Member

i like JMs the best for the wide range of tonal options they provide in a studio setting, covers a lot of gaps and sonic spaces that other other fenders can't reach. here's a few reasons why i think they're cool:

- amazing sound and feel from the trem unit
    - highly customizable and easily modified wiring scheme, which makes it great from a utilitarian standpoint
    - the rhythm circuit provides some really unique tones that you won't get with a strat or tele
    - the pickups definitely have a unique sound, and there are a ton of pickup manufacturers who make really interesting variations on the theme that you can try out. this can help you to tweak the instrument even further towards the sound you're seeking (i have a P90 in a JM casing in the bridge of mine)
    - super cool look, i know some people dislike the offset body style but i think they look great
    - "affordable" vintage ones from classic eras can still be found, not the case with any strat or tele

5. no doz

no doz TDPRI Member

i have a bit of treblephobia and my absolute least favorite sound from single coils (and JM pickups in particular) is that high screechy icepicky sound that can get emphasized in higher gain situations. nails on a chalkboard to me.

i tend to feel that most jazzmasters benefit from installing 500k pots as opposed to the wide open 1megs they usually come with. this is musical style + genre dependent obviously, but I've found the 500k pots really help to round off that harsh top end while still maintaining the characteristic chime that i love so much about the guitars

6. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Right! :)

Mine doesn't have the rhythm circuit, so I miss out on all that .. But at least you can't criticize it for being offset :D

[​IMG]

7. no doz

no doz TDPRI Member

^ i love how streamlined the JM is without the rhythm circuit, really bare bones and cool. i mostly use the rhythm circuit for double tracked parts or rhythm guitars that are gonna be layered kind of deep in a mix. love rolling that tone knob down, cranking it through a fuzz pedal, really sounds disgusting + awful :lol:

perfect for a lil sonic BEEF haha

Tommyd55, El Tele Lobo and W.L.Weller like this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Get one ‘cuz chicks dig ‘em.

9. Aftermath

Aftermath TDPRI Member

A lot of Soul music, country and surf was played with jazzmasters. It has a nice chunky mid range rhythm sound and it sounds sweet with you pick the notes. [​IMG]

10. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I definitely keep the tone knob only about a third of the way up. I play in a surf band and use a reverb unit and it sounds awesome but yeah it can get way too bright. Also, I have bought and sold two guitars and am done with trying out other guitars.

AAT65 and Aftermath like this.
  11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Anyways ... Been thinking it over and .. well It's not like I'm short on cash, might as well have the option of playing it

My justification is that it's my 10 gauge strings Fender unlike the two others that are set up with 9s :)

(and those 65ri pups ain't bad)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    ThermionicScott likes this.
  12. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

My Jazzmaster gets more playing time than my Tele.

The Tele straight into my Champ clone is a glorious sound, but the Jazzmaster has its own thing that I really like and it does seem to go with pedals particularly well.

I’m not a Strat fan, so I’d loose that if I had one and needed to thin the herd. But I don’t have a Strat and don’t need to thin down so that’s a bit moot...

driver8, El Tele Lobo and WingedWords like this.
  13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I started changing the pots on my JM's lead circuit so that I could get more useable tones across the entire sweep rather than never going past 5. I ended up with 250k pots and they still get really bright on 10. Just not painful anymore.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't sell off a Jazzmaster. Its sound is a little darker but still distinctly single coil. I've given similar thought to my Gretsch Anniversary but still have it. It's darker than my Tele or Strats but absolutely to die for for vocal accompaniment. Why would anyone sell off something that delivers its own distinctive sound and is paid for? Sell it or starve? Sell it. Sell it with no pressing need? You'll wish you hadn't.

howardlo likes this.
  15. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

If I don't play it I've nowhere to sit...

20200417_154113.jpg

16. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very useful post.

lmjmitchell likes this.
  17. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

There's a Hard Rock Cafe that has a Jimi 'burst Jazzmaster on display with a sombrero; San Diego, I think? Wonder if it's that one.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Aftermath likes this.
  18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Not for nothing, the OP said of his Jazzmaster, "It's great...!" That being the case, why on Earth would you get rid of it? Because you somehow perceive it as duplicative? It's hard to find great guitars -- Keep it and play it!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. quackzilla

quackzilla TDPRI Member

Does the Jazzmaster sound a lot like a Tele or Strat or something?

20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

JM's sound more different from a tele and strat than the tele and strat do from each other. the positioning of the pole pieces past the 24th fret on the neck and the less sustain due to the bridge probably have to do with it. the 1meg pots are another little bump. they're overall glassier and honkier.

now, if you play classic rock or something, i don't think it's a match. it doesn't slot into a lot of "vanilla" kinds of rock, it pokes out. but anything pre-british invasion or post-post punk it handles very well. it can do an alright r&b job too.

it's always funny when i see some guy in a demo pick one up and they start whacking out chords that sound like boston or bad company or start playing dadrock licks. or like, pearl jam. if that's what you want it to do, i don't think it's ever going to make you happy.

but if you're like general non-rock americana guy (pre 70s country, rootsy stuff, surf music) or non-traditional rocker, then it'll probably work out nicely. it can do many things on the road less trodden.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.