Why would anyone want to sell on eBay?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

For the part time seller the fees are just ridiculous. Unless you sell more than the minimum amount of items or more a month (25 as told to me on the phone even though 40 is listed), they charge an additional 5% plus the final value fees. Sure they matched Reverb with the free listing fee and final value fee, but they don't tell you about the other 5%. In addition to charging tax for used gear the basic fees for selling (including pay pal as an example) are about 17.5%. That would be the 3.5% final value, 2.9% payPal fee, 5% low seller performance fee, and say 6% state tax for certain states. Used to sell on eBay when they first got started and it was fun. Not so now. They moved out the average person. Also, the customer support was unaware of some of the listing fees.

Chunkocaster, BorderRadio and Shuster like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Pure Ebay Greed!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Chunkocaster and Apache Snow like this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Sadly I agree, why would they?

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Little parts, pieces, junk sell better on eBay. I will never sale another guitar on eBay. Really not planning on selling much of anything anymore, so it's kinda mute for me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

"I will never SELL......" and "so it's kinda MOOT for me."
    At least on Ebay you don't have retired teachers correcting your spelling. ;)

Hiker, peterbee, tfarny and 8 others like this.
  6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I sold about 3k of stuff in 3 months when they sent me the thing saying max fee £1

One month my invoice was £18 and I sold 1200 of stuff

7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'll take the blindfold and the cigarette, please.

The "sale" was an acid test.
    The "mute" is on me, ignorance.

Good catch!

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

More buyers on ebay and maybe it's easier to sell obscure stuff where there are fewer who really want that particular item.
    Ebay seems to put more into marketing, which is what the seller gets for their fees: marketing.
    Reverb seems fine for selling stuff that sells easily, though as a buyer I shop on both and buy a whole lot more on ebay because that's where the best gear at the best prices usually ends up being when I find what I'm looking for.

If Reverb had as much to offer as ebay I'd be happy to buy there, but ebay has more used gear for good prices IME.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've sold a couple guits on the bay, but not for years now

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Note that reverb now charges sales tax just like ebay.
    And if the buyer uses paypal on Reverb you get that fee regardless.
    If you reach buyers willing to pay more for this or that it can be an advantage to have more marketing.
    If it's the same old stuff there's hundreds of for sale used then maybe Reverb is better.
    What ends up making me buy on ebay is that sellers go to Reverb thinking their used gear is worth more than the market will bear.

So, why shop on Reverb when most gear sellers there think their used Sweetwater purchase is valuable?
    A lot of the stuff I find on Reverb stays and stays at the asking prices there.
    My last Reverb vs ebay contest I put in offers to sellers on both at the same time, gambling that they would not both accept.
    They both counter offered and the ebay Stomp Under Foot Civil Unrest came in cheaper, but the reverb seller had a pristine in box never used example for $15 more so I went with reverb that time.

11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

My local guitar shop now wants 40% for consignment sales.

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Agree with you as a buyer. But as a seller that only sells a piece of gear every once in a while you are gonna have to sell higher just to recoup all the fees. For example I have a speaker for $75 on Craigslist, to make $75on eBay I would have to sell for $90 to most states. They charge an extra 5% fee to people who do not sell much.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Let's be honest, eBay is a great avenue to sell stuff and if you spend much time there, you'll notice the enormous number of bidder/buyers. So, ya gotta pay to play and because there is little competition, ya gotta now pay more.

eBay is in business to make money. Hello.

14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I stopped selling years ago... when the seller lost all protection.

I had used it regularly for 10+ years... and had nothing but positive ratings. Never a negative, and never a neutral.... always positive. Then on my last few sales funds were held until the seller left positive feedback, or 31 days without a negative feedback (IIRC). One full month is a long time to wait for your money... especially when you also have to front all shipping costs. Not to mention eBay had no problem charging me for the sale and commission, even before my money was released!

As always - my last sales went through without a problem but I will never use them again to sell something. I do buy products on occasion, and I am very quick to leave positive feedback once I receive an item in order to release the funds to the seller as quickly as possible.

just to be clear from my experience... the fees don't bother me, the policies do! I don't mind paying for the service, but I want my money too!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  15. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Recently listed a Gibson acoustic on evilbay, got no offers or bids. Guitar was priced in a competitive range. Cost of that no response listing? Just shy of $70.00! I feel ripped off. Had it sold, no, but with the results obtained, yes!

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I'm based in the UK & have sold bits & pieces to people all over the planet - Australia, US, Japan, Brazil & all of Europe.
    I once made £1200 in 6 months & sold a £10 Super Fuzz to a crazy guy in France for £560.
    I love eBay.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice to see a few voices of reason appear.

Global marketplace of unprecedented scale, reach and specificity.

Search engine optimization.

Technology platforms to expedite multiple aspects of the deal.

You want that for free?

18. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Please don't misunderstand me. Not asking for free but reasonable. They just do not want low volume sellers which I think is a mistake on their part.

telemnemonics and bender66 like this.
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Low volume sellers cost more per transaction. So they charge more per transaction.

(Just guessing here, but that's typically how these things work.)

"Want" is not part of the equation. I'm sure they "want" low volume sellers at the prices they charge.

getbent and Obsessed like this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Same here. From 2006 to 2008, I was selling between $3000 to $5000 a month in sporting goods. Between the lack of seller protection and competition from subsidized Chinese sellers, it just wasn't worth it any more. Sold off the rest of my inventory at flea markets and locally online (CL, Facebook, etc)

Fees? I can see how they would be too much for the occasional seller. I just considered them a cost of doing business, much like renting a retail space, credit card processing fees, paying for advertising, etc.

It would be great if there were some more options available for occasional sellers but these options, if they became popular, would be quickly overrun by scammers and "make money quick" sellers.

Hiker, telemnemonics and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.