Why Would A Lady Do This?

Bill Sheehan

Tele-Holic
The best advice I got in driver training was how to deal with a tailgater or aggressive driver behind you. No matter how you feel in the moment, it's best to make room for them to pass. They will eventually get into an accident. Be thankful that it won't be with you.
Definitely good advice!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
If Bill and the left-turner arrived at approximately the same time, the lady will have to wait the same amount of time no matter which driver goes first. If Bill goes first, the left turner is next, so lady has to wait either way. His courtesy did not inconvenience her in the least. She was just being impatient.
Injecting logic into an argument serves no useful purpose! 😁😁😁

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I remember in the 80’s in the DC Area a woman threw a soda at the woman in the car next to her and it hit the woman while she was driving. Apparently that’s a felony and she wound up getting arrested and facing several years in jail. The woman she hit asked the judge to be lenient, but still wound up with a record. All because she couldn’t control her temper.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
That wasn't a lady.

I'm amazed at the drivers that take off like a rocket from a red light only to have to stop at the next light. I stared calling them "Red light racers".

I've found that if I drive the speed limit that I'll reach the next light when it turns green, depending on how many "Red light racers" have jumped in front of you after the last red light.

There have been several times when the drivers behind me have noticed what I was doing and started doing the same thing.

The most wear & tear you put on your vehicle is rapid acceleration and constant stopping & going.

Last edited:

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
I had an incident where a woman behind me thought that I was going to speed through a yellow light and she was speeding.

She realized that I was going to stop and she couldn't stop in time without "rear-ending" me. She jumped into the turn lane and went through the intersection on two wheels barely avoiding what could have been a tragic accident.

I have to state that my state doesn't have "No fault" insurance. If you cause an accident you'll pay for it!

It gets me how little respect these driver have for not only their own safety, but the safety of others and not caring about the damage they'll do to their own cars.

There's no excuse for being in such a hurry.

One thing I've noticed while driving in the early morning hours are the amount of females that are speeding. I mentioned this to a friend and he told me his wife is guilty of doing this because she constantly oversleeps and is running late.

Last edited:

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Back to the original question, ie. "Why do ladies do this?"

Ladies are now liberated to enjoy the workplace with all its life-shortening stress, just like their brethren. For years, only the testosterone-fueled males with the job stress and stress of trying to balance family and job exhibited road rage. Now the ladies are fully in the workplace. What followed were economic adjustments to having additional workers in the marketplace that made the average family's lifestyle impossible without two incomes. Now women are stuck, and newspapers and magazines are acting as though all this poop men have had to juggle for years is happening for the first time and uniquely to women. Welcome to the workforce. Thag the caveman experienced this crap.

Stress overload is no longer limited to men. Road rage is no longer limited to men. Rage in general is no longer limited to men. Expect shorter lives to follow.

Bob

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yesterday I was driving through my neighborhood, on a stretch where the speed limit is 30 mph (I was going probably 32), and as I came off a 4-way stop, I glanced in my rearview mirror and noticed that a lady (who looked to be in her mid-thirties) was right up my rear in her older-model compact. I could swear she hadn't been there ten seconds earlier.

When we came to the next 4-way stop, there was a car facing me, with his left-turn blinker on, and he and I had arrived at the 4-way at about the same moment, so I decided to wave him on to make his left turn.

At that moment (and I KNEW this was going to happen!) the lady behind me laid on her horn, apparently feeling that my act of courtesy was spoiling her day.

When the left-turning guy had cleared out of the intersection, I kind of kicked it up and created a little space between myself and the aggressive lady behind me.

Then, within another few tenths of a mile we arrived at a stop-n-go light, which had just turned red. I needed to turn left, so I got in the left turn lane, and the lady pulled up next to me, to my right.

I decided to look straight ahead so as not to invite a confrontation, but within seconds she began tapping her horn as if to get my attention, and when I glanced over, she too was looking straight ahead-- but her left hand was raised against her window in full "bird-flip" mode, and she kept it positioned thusly until the light changed back to green (a continuous period of 40 seconds or so).

I just kind of chuckled to myself, but I made no attempt to engage, thinking "it's just not worth it."

But the question that really bothers me is, in this day and age, why would ANY lady, driving alone, act in such an aggressive manner toward a male, a complete stranger to her, not knowing if that guy might "go off" and jump out of his car with a baseball bat, or begin following her, or any number of other nasty reactions? Just seems to me that she was asking for a bad outcome!

Realizing that it was probably wise for me to stay cool, I have to admit to wondering if there might've been any other more "fun" options for handling this... I figured that if there were any such options, or similar stories, to be had, my friends on the Tele forum would be the place to find them.
I bet you did something to deserve it which you are not disclosing.

Last edited:

Bill Sheehan

Tele-Holic
I remember in the 80’s in the DC Area a woman threw a soda at the woman in the car next to her and it hit the woman while she was driving. Apparently that’s a felony and she wound up getting arrested and facing several years in jail. The woman she hit asked the judge to be lenient, but still wound up with a record. All because she couldn’t control her temper.
Dang, Teletail, now there's a classic example of "it ain't worth it."

Bill Sheehan

Tele-Holic
I bet you did something to deserve it which you are not disclosing.
Hahahahahaha! Honestly, Champ, I didn't, at least not that I'm aware of !! I think it was just a matter of me not going fast enough to suit her, and yes, I have to admit I've been in her shoes plenty of times, where I might be running a little bit late to get to an appointment, or to an event of some kind, and I end up behind someone who, though going the speed limit, seems like a slow-poke to me at that moment, and I'm mumbling under my breath, "C'mon... c'mon... c'mon...!!!" But, I don't lay on my horn or make "helpful corrective gestures" at them!

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
Hahahahahaha! Honestly, Champ, I didn't, at least not that I'm aware of !! I think it was just a matter of me not going fast enough to suit her, and yes, I have to admit I've been in her shoes plenty of times, where I might be running a little bit late to get to an appointment, or to an event of some kind, and I end up behind someone who, though going the speed limit, seems like a slow-poke to me at that moment, and I'm mumbling under my breath, "C'mon... c'mon... c'mon...!!!" But, I don't lay on my horn or make "helpful corrective gestures" at them!
But sometimes it Is up to you to educate the other driver.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Dang, Teletail, now there's a classic example of "it ain't worth it."
I was peripherally involved in a road rage incident myself. Some guy was speeding up and tailgating someone in the lane next to me and I just gave him a hand signal to slow down, then he starts raging at me and he was so caught up in his swearing and screaming he wound up running right into the car he had been tailgating.

I should have stayed out of it, but I bet he was sorry when he realized what he’d done.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
What I find extremely annoying is something I see frequently because I drive a pickup. I'm sure some of you have experienced this: some person in a small/compact car decides to follow you really closely, to the point where their vehicle literally vanishes from view below the top of your bed and tailgate. All you need do is suddenly stop short and your tailgate is on their dashboard.

I was backing out of a space last week when a young guy in a low Chevy sedan did just this. I have two side mirrors with blind-spot reflectors on the corners and a rear view camera in my tailgate. He came up so quickly that I bumped him with the back of the truck - nothing really serious but it happened.

His damage? A hand-sized pucker dent in the center of his hood, right where the edge of the hood meets the top of his grille.

My "damage"? A streak of white paint from his hood on the passenger-side corner of my rear bumper. The lower edge of the bumper is 24 inches from the ground (the paint streak is about an inch up on the bumper). So the top of his front end literally sits only two feet high.

This was a minor thing, no one got really upset and I felt terrible about what happened. But it drove home something that I always fear about people to tail too closely. Not a wise idea.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday I was driving through my neighborhood, on a stretch where the speed limit is 30 mph (I was going probably 32), and as I came off a 4-way stop, I glanced in my rearview mirror and noticed that a lady (who looked to be in her mid-thirties) was right up my rear in her older-model compact. I could swear she hadn't been there ten seconds earlier.

When we came to the next 4-way stop, there was a car facing me, with his left-turn blinker on, and he and I had arrived at the 4-way at about the same moment, so I decided to wave him on to make his left turn.

At that moment (and I KNEW this was going to happen!) the lady behind me laid on her horn, apparently feeling that my act of courtesy was spoiling her day.

When the left-turning guy had cleared out of the intersection, I kind of kicked it up and created a little space between myself and the aggressive lady behind me.

Then, within another few tenths of a mile we arrived at a stop-n-go light, which had just turned red. I needed to turn left, so I got in the left turn lane, and the lady pulled up next to me, to my right.

I decided to look straight ahead so as not to invite a confrontation, but within seconds she began tapping her horn as if to get my attention, and when I glanced over, she too was looking straight ahead-- but her left hand was raised against her window in full "bird-flip" mode, and she kept it positioned thusly until the light changed back to green (a continuous period of 40 seconds or so).

I just kind of chuckled to myself, but I made no attempt to engage, thinking "it's just not worth it."

But the question that really bothers me is, in this day and age, why would ANY lady, driving alone, act in such an aggressive manner toward a male, a complete stranger to her, not knowing if that guy might "go off" and jump out of his car with a baseball bat, or begin following her, or any number of other nasty reactions? Just seems to me that she was asking for a bad outcome!

Realizing that it was probably wise for me to stay cool, I have to admit to wondering if there might've been any other more "fun" options for handling this... I figured that if there were any such options, or similar stories, to be had, my friends on the Tele forum would be the place to find them.
Absent the tailgating, I'm actually on team rude lady here. If you have the right of way, go, or pull out of traffic and turn on your hazard signal. If everyone just followed the right of way, there would be no car crashes. I hate it when people are "nice" and wave me across traffic when they have the right of way. Frikkin' go, and go live your life, so that I can too. You don't need to do me any favors. Go.

Caveat: currently teaching a kid to drive and am like the rules of the road inspector general lately.

Bill Sheehan

Tele-Holic
Absent the tailgating, I'm actually on team rude lady here. If you have the right of way, go, or pull out of traffic and turn on your hazard signal. If everyone just followed the right of way, there would be no car crashes. I hate it when people are "nice" and wave me across traffic when they have the right of way. Frikkin' go, and go live your life, so that I can too. You don't need to do me any favors. Go.

Caveat: currently teaching a kid to drive and am like the rules of the road inspector general lately.
Point well-taken, Willie, but honestly, the crux of my initial post wasn't so much the question of who was in the wrong (as I totally agree that my "waving on" of the left-turning guy was not smart in that specific context, knowing I had an impatient driver right behind me). My point really was just to express bewilderment that, once we ended up sitting side by side at the red light) a female would go out of her way to antagonize a male to whom she was a complete stranger-- what with all of today's emphasis on ladies being super-cautious in a world of kooks. So, my perspective here is really on the "personal safety" aspect.

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
In a lot of heavy city traffic situation if no one would wave their right of way and let someone in from the side road, they would die there from starvation - it's not about being "nice", it's about "I let you in now and you will return this to someone else in a minute or so". I have to say it is much easier to be allowed to cut in by a male driver - some ladies have a tendency to look straight ahead and intentionally ignore poor folks trying to merge.

As much as road rage is concerned, I'm guilty, your Honor, of a few instances when I decide to put my "Punisher" hat on and tried to "educate" some MFs on the road. It is plain stupid to think that you are able to put some brain in obviously empty skulls. Now, I just use the Navy Seals /Meditation technique: 4 sec inhale...keep it for w moment...4 sec exhale....repeat. Two things stop me from engaging the "enemy" - I don't know why they are in such a hurry (saving life? undercover police on duty? late for a super important plane to catch?) and I don't know if they are not going to get very nasty if I do react. It's just not worth it, but I came to my senses about it quite late in my life.

Why this Karen from your story acted the way she did? No idea. I'd agree it was reckless on her side as you could have reacted in any way you wanted, up to and including a massive devastation of her vehicle ;)