1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why Won't Fender Sell Heads??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bravescoob, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Buy yourself a Silverface Bassman head- no later than a '75- pre Master Volume. Get a good tech to run through it (perhaps not the ones you've mentioned......). Gig it....forever. :)

https://reverb.com/p/fender-bassman-head-1969

I have two of them. You're welcome. :D

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The other option is, buy a new combo, and get a custom built head cabinet for it. A few people in this thread have done that. There's guys who for a couple of bills can make you one with correct tolex of original or custom colour plus matching speaker or even Tweed or crocskin. Then put the original cab in storage for resale.

Torren61 and bravescoob like this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

not to mention, there are new builders out there, where you can find a head version of any number of amp styles, brand new (if that's your preference) and well-made. I have no experience with this type, but many here do, for example:

http://www.allenamps.com/hotfudge.html

bravescoob likes this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

I would def of bought one if it was a head. Did get Tweed deluxe CL , really learning how to dial it in. Sounds great on Marshall 425a with celestion g12c greenbacks. Helps it get the mids out a lil better

5. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

In 2010 Fender produced the Deluxe VM and a head version called the Bandmaster VM. I used one for a while but decided i wanted a vintage head so I picked up a Dual Showman Reverb since a DSR is a Twin Reverb in head form. No difference.
    I found it was just easier to carry one wicked heavy thing rather than two pretty heavy things so I put the DSR chassis in a vintage Twin combo cab. Poof, instant Twin Reverb.

But I still keep an eye out for a good deal on either a Bandmaster or Tremolux. If Fender reissued either one I'd get in line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Are you suggesting that this isn't iconic?

bravescoob likes this.
  7. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Fender has always had heads. Owned Prosonics, Super sonic and a tone master myself. The Baseman series had several heads as has there been Concerts, a Twin in the Showmaster head and the Deluxe. They for what ever reason never sold well though.
    I once owned one of if not the baddest head Fender ever built ( really not Fender Bruce Zinky hand built it while running the Custom Shop) in a 120 watt Prosonic head with Reverb. Bought it from Brad Whitford and it still had the Aerosmith inventory control sticker on the back.
    used it for this project in the studio.
    https://app.box.com/shared/3chz5vojtx

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What venues are you playing in Milwaukee?

Or are you playing a style heavily slanted towards Marshalls? For guitar (not bass) I see 50/50 at most. More like 60-70% guitar combos.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  9. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I’d rate my own experience even more heavily skewed towards combos. Of course, my taste in music runs pretty rootsy.

Even the nationally touring acts I see prefer smaller, lower wattage combos.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

They must think the market is too small to justify production ... Why make a product that few will buy ???

11. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I have a Supersonic 100 and 4x12 and love it. I guess they didn’t sell and were discontinued after two years.

bravescoob likes this.
  12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Not sure why this is a big deal.Plenty of vintage heads available at decent prices.
    A Bassman is one of the best deals out there.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I think they sell what people want to buy, and they look to move lots of units per model, without filling small, niche parts of the market. For the latter, they want you to do the overcharge/custom deal via the Custom Shop. If loads of people wanted heads, they'd gear up the assembly line and spew them out.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A Dual Showman Reverb has the same "brains" as a Twin Reverb. Same transformer in both.

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

This ^^^. We occasionally like to think that the Fender folks are fools because they don't do what we think they obviously should do... but they aren't fools about what does sell.

You'd think that the Deluxe Reverb head would have sold well, but if it did they'd likely still be making it. The Bandmaster VM head with digital effects wasn't accepted very well. The Tonemaster head sounded great, but 100 Watts is a hard sell to the current Fender guitar amp crowd. I don't know why they discontinued the Prosonic. It was a complex amp and perhaps too expensive to make vs. the price point at which it would sell. The '57 Deluxe head disappeared. Perhaps it didn't sell because it deviated too much from the traditional...who knows?

Fender currently makes 4 guitar heads and 5 bass heads. The lineup of guitar heads has been steady for the last 2-3 years.

What heads would I like to see them try? Variations of the 6G6/6G6-A Bassman, 50 Watts, and the 6G9/6G9-B Tremolux, 35 Watts. Blonde or black tolex, midrange and master volume controls, multiple-tapped OTs, power scaling or built-in attenuator. Match them with 1 x 12", 2 x 12", and 2 x 10" pine cabinets with 3-piece backs, piggyback hardware, and legs. Expensive and a limited market, probably we, uh... mature folks who want to gig with old school tone and separate head and cab for easy handling. They probably wouldn't succeed in the market, but I'd sure think about saving up for the Tremolux head.

Les H likes this.
  16. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

In DEN currently, moving in a month to WI so signed up with that as my location. JJ's Bar/Grill will probably be our go-to there since a lot of bands we know play there. Here in CO: 7thCircle, Pinball Jones, Lost Lake, Downtown Artery, etc. I could see different genres/venues/ages having different preferences.

17. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Maybe combos are what sells- Fender probably has done lots of data gathering on such things. I personally and the circle of musicians I know just lean heavily towards separate heads so I find it frustrating that they make so few when it seems easy to offer both options like every other major amp maker does; just a bit disappointing that they don't currently sell what I am looking for.

18. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Are heads niche though? Most amp companies do make heads and combos that I have seen is why I am confused.

19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Great thread. I thought I remembered a Bandmaster head a few years ago!!! Yes! A Deluxe or better yet a Bassman or Bandmaster head would be perfect!! Come on Fender!!!

bravescoob likes this.
  20. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I know they're are probably a hundred reasons not to reissue a blackface bassman 50 but that's the one I'd be most interested in.

4pickupguy and bravescoob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.