WHY when slicing through cold butter,,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, May 25, 2020.

1. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I smash cold butter with the business end of a cleaned ball-peen hammer and then simply spread it.

AAT65 and Ricky D. like this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

aussie butter knives only work with aussie butter, mate..... derrrrrr....:twisted::lol:

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Not really a tool user, are we?

Just cut the other end of the stick (without turning it around). Or use a knife that's beveled on both sides.

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If I am not mistaken, butter should be refrigerated and WW II derived margarine is what you can leave on a counter. However; I guess I am wrong Expert sources say:

"Leaving a stick or “quarter” of hard margarine at room temperature for a day should be fine, but manufacturers recommend refrigerating soft tub margarine promptly after use. Stick margarine’s high amount of saturated fats and trans fats protect its texture and flavor. However, soft margarine (margarine in tubs) loses its shape, texture, and flavor if left at room temperature because it contains polyunsaturated and/or monounsaturated fats, which eventually oxidize, become liquid, and perhaps go rancid at room temperature. It’s difficult to say how long a particular soft margarine product may be left out of the fridge as it depends on various factors: degree of heat it is exposed to, the amount of emulsifiers and antioxidants that have been added to prolong shelf life, and the proportion of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. (Polyunsaturated fats spoil faster.)

A spokesperson at Land O’ Lakes consumer help line said to return margarine to the fridge immediately after use. Unilever advises customers not to eat its I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! margarine if it has been left out overnight or at 70° F or higher temperature “for an extended period of time.” The margarine won’t be unsafe, but it will not have its intended high-quality flavor and consistency, especially once the tub has been opened.

Source(s):
    Cleveland Clinic: Heart and Vascular Health & Prevention
    Land O’ Lakes consumer help line:
    I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! consumer help line: "

However; if it was irradiated during the 1950's testing, you can leave it out for several 1/2 lives. JMO.

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

It’s physically impossible to overrate butter. I’ll dig out the equation and get back to you later.

6. rewind

rewind Tele-Meister

Just run hot tap water on your knife blade to warm it up. You can do the same when cutting hard cheese for platters.

I've found that salted butter lasts longer when left at room temperature. Un-salted butter goes rancid faster.

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Yep, that's why butter gets salted.

I only use unsalted butter when I'm following a recipe that calls for it... which is never. :)

8. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Nuke the asymmetrical butter glob in a pyrex cup in the microwave and drizzle it on to everything, even the bits you don't want it on. Use the butter scum left on the the sides of the pyrex to keep your crazy eyebrows pasted down. Be careful to not scald your eyebrows with overheated butter.
    Tonight I will try butter scum to lube the guitar nut slots.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    AAT65 likes this.
  9. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't believe all you see on The Simpsons. Coriolis effect is mostly foo. :eek:

10. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

I'm speechless. Thank you for straightening out my misconceptions.

11. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I wish I had your problems.

12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

First point, the OP's "problem" is so lame it doesnt even qualify as a "first world problem"
    Second: Using a crap quality steak knife as a butter knife. Really? The described knife should be stored in the trash dumpster. Yet they are common in every kitchen. Why?
    Third: STORE your butter cold. However, butter ready for most uses is best at a "cool" room temperature, not refrigerated. Unless the use requires softer butter.
    Fourth: Butter is not margarine. Margarine is not butter. For a few uses it makes less difference, but in general, they are not as interchangeable as most folks seem to think. Nor is margarine so much a "healthier alternative" as some seem to believe.
    Fifth:
    Has nothing to do with butter.

This thread is below even the standards of the bad dog. Reported to mods.:cool:

13. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

OP claims to be a real man who uses real knives and plays a Tele. :cool:

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

This is a timely thread, because just today I was thinking about how some older folks, when describing something of poor quality, will say, "it doesn't cut the mustard."

Did mustard used to be harder, like butter?

Or were knives in the old days really dull? I mean--they'd have to be super dull. About as sharp as a stick of butter. In modern times we should probably be saying, "it doesn't squirt the mustard."

15. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

All this joking aside, the OP is on to something big. I think this insight will spread like wildfire (or maybe like margarine), and a century from now they'll still be talking about the left-handed butter bending conspiracy of 2020. Mark my words.

16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

...and end up with a slice of butter on the wrong side of the knife? :confused:

ASATKat, middy and TeleTucson like this.
  17. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just use a cheese plane whenever the butter is cold.

18. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I am firmly in the cut-it-on-the-left-side camp. Even the post about cutting on the right started on the left, like all sentences. And butter slices.

19. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I never thought about it...and I only spread butter on hot toast/English muffin, so it's ready to spread soon after contact with the carby goodness. Butter on untoasted bread leaves me cold ;)

20. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stop storing your butter in the freezer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.