1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why we really need pedals . . .

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nvilletele, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

An eq pedal is not for everyone or everything. Yes it can be a lifesaver but, just working with what you have usually is more than enough. I've seen people over and under eq to the point of totally destroying sound when just a few minor changes of bass and treble would have been quite sufficient.

ForgeHound likes this.
  2. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

Very good points, I agree with what you're saying, especially with how much you can see people overdoing the EQ, but I rarely hear of people trying out EQ pedals and then deciding it's not for them, though it happens

3. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

At home I play into a Quilter MicroPro with the 6 button foot switch and love it. I’m in a 60s and 70s cover band and, much as I hate it, my huge Pedal Train is loaded pretty much and I use every single pedal on it, not on every song, but on every gig. I recently removed a couple and don’t miss them, but I’m about to add a couple more to expand our instrument capabilities. We tried a couple new tunes at rehearsal and they were thin musically because we lacked brass and strings, so we decided not to do them unless we could overcome that obstacle. We have good three part harmonies, but it takes much more. That’s why The Beach Boys used the Wrecking Crew. If we had a good keyboard player I would scale down to tuner, compression, distortion and delay. Any good keyboardists in Memphis who play and sing well looking to join a working band? No? Didn’t think so. That’s why I need pedals.

Thin white duke likes this.
  4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Nothing like a penny farthing for feesdback
    joking aside my fav pedals are either a verb or 2 tap delay...for driven sounds i like to use the amp....big amp for gigs...lilamp at home
    last distortion pedal i had fell apart years ago...never got another

pippoman likes this.
  5. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

I have a Fender Twin and a Mesa Express. Both have all the sculpting of the EQ that I could ever need from both amps. However now that I play in a worship band and my amp is the the back room I can't access my amp when on stage. So I have to rely on my pedal board for any changes.

With that being said, I never have found that I need to change my EQ on stage. First off when I am home I get the bass, mids and highs to the settings I want for playing live.
    Secondly, I have the tone control on my guitars to use to adjust my sound.
    Thirdly, my Seymour Duncan 805 overdrive pedal has a 3 band EQ on it and I boost the lows and back off the mids to reduce the squishy sound. I use this pedal only when I will play a lead solom
    Lastly my Mesa Boogie Flux Five which is my main distortion pedal has an EQ built in.

pippoman likes this.
  6. pippoman

Sounds like you’re in a straight up rock band and I envy you Wulf man. My pedal board is literally the heaviest piece of gear I own. I’d post a pic but it’s at our practice room 15 miles away. The older I get, the heavier it gets!

Wulf likes this.
  7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i like to run an amp hot and use the guitars controls ..can go to from a warm jazzy smooth whisper ...to blowing out windows without amp fiddling...or wondering which thing to stomp on at the right moment.ive been to gigs where a player misses the pedal he wants makes a tit of himself and cries..and tripping over an array of pedals isnt a good look halfway through a gig either (seen it...done it)...unless your act contains slapstick comedy...
    last band i put together...we would play anything from neil diamond songs...i have the voice for it...to good old hard rock....bit of old RnR...old school surf...to punk and psychobilly....many of the songs we do are our own too..found you get more work with a wide and varying rep..pays to be versatile...ive even gone walkabout during a break with a little flamenco thing i rescued...the fillys love that......depending on the gig we were doing
    my first thought though on arriving is to get them to put away most chairs...if they have to stand they soon dance

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  8. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

A 6 page thread, and no one's pointed out the mic in the cartoon is plugged into the pedal output? C'mon, man!

Jimbodiddley, pippoman and Wulf like this.
  9. pippoman

Yep, sounds like you’ve got eq covered and you don’t need it. Unless, like in your case, you have an actual eq built in the amp or another pedal, they come in handy. The treble, mid, and bass controls on a Fender amp aren’t actually EQs because they can’t actually boost any frequency, they just filter it whereas EQ can actually boost individual frequencies, but alas, I don’t even have ony(yet).

10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

all those lilboxes can lead to confusion...
    ive seen bands spend an hour wrestliing with what appears to be miles of living black spaghetti trying to set up...then sound dreadful...
    i also find pedals take a lot of tone from your guitar making them sound flat and lifeless...horses for courses...we all have our foibles...cats and skinning techniques vary
    as long as you entertain ...and hold an audience it doesnt matter how you get there
    its entertainment...a show...most of an audience dont know or care the finer points of pedals...or what one even is...or what amp and guitar your using,,...they just want to hear good kickbutt music...have beer....make clowns out of themselves and maybe pull a bird
    if it works out like that youve done your job...and more bits = more bits to decide to give up the ghost....just as you are about to really shine...seen that too...for ruff pub gigs i use a bodgecaster...no one will nick it...and a 1978 carlsbro super stingray...bullet proof reliable..120 watts..solid state..but a great sounding and hugely powerful amp...i got for £50
    again...no one could or would nick it...if they can lift it and run..i wont waste time fighting for it....beer flying about in droves is like cyanide to good gear...yet my old amp keeps on going...as does my modded AC30VR...twin reverb loud ..much more dynamic and 3d sounding...if it blows...not much lost...i save my 68 Twin Reverb Custom for Surf gigs...but thats about all i use it for...the other amps are actually much much better sounding for everything else
    like i say..need pedals on the bike to follow the van to gigs...(wink)
    we were up n rockin in the time it takes many bands to make sure they have everything they think they need...were no prima donnas...just ruff shiftless working class lads that rock out without a care in the world
    nice n simple...Long Live British Pub Rock

pippoman likes this.
  11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There's nothing more BORING than a guitar plugged straight into an amp.
    Now GIMME my delay ,filter & modulation pedals! The more the merrier.
    (I play clean 90% of the time so I can live without od/dist pedals but a nice boost pedal for single note playing is a nice thing to have)

cyclopean likes this.
  12. pippoman

Yah, he’s got it in reverse. Sad.

13. Havins

Havins TDPRI Member

if I could only use one pedal it would be the Boss EQ....for many years I only used 2 pedals--a Boss EQ and an Ibanez Chorus. EQing the preamp depends on the amp you are using. Until I got tired of carrying the heavy SOB I used a Peavey Session 500...best amp I ever owned and didn't need EQing. The Boss pedal was used as a boost that I could instantly tailor the sound. With a Fender amp the EQ might be necessary to get the preferred sound depending on which guitar I choose to use, It all depends on the combinations you are using...not all Teles sound alike and the same with Strats....

Roscoe295 likes this.
  14. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

On my guitar rig live,I use no pedals as Generally floor space is hard to come by.. As far as EQ pedals go, I've found that changing strings or the lack of changing strings can make ""your sound". I have numerous guitars but one that I built (warmoth telecaster) was waaayyy too bright in tone. Disturbingly so. I considered changing the pickups but I like active EMG and figured I'd try to work around it. After the normal breaking period on he strings I noticed the brightness less. So I left the strings on through what I would consider a normal lifespan expecting to replace the set after I broke one. Well, in 9 years I've put 2sets of d'addario XL on that guitar (I bought a box of ten in 1992, the date is still on the packaging to prove it) and the current set has over 5years of hard rocking and country Brent Mason bending all over them. No need for an EQ pedals anymore. It really dulled the treble down (thank God) and the guitar sounds great. Can't say that about the rest of my guitars as they seem to need new strings after about 8-10 hours of play.

Wulf likes this.
  15. mwpv11

mwpv11 TDPRI Member

What pedals do you use?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

"…I see it to this day, is the first three songs, guys are bending over [their pedals], dialing in their sound. And I tell you—the middle of the first song is, kinda like “Okay, this is the hand I’ve been dealt…you know maybe if I step over here…okay that’s better.” I start playing music faster And I’m not—I’ve played with Nels Cline, and the guy brings two feet of effects and he’s brilliant and great and he immediately starts playing music, so I’m not insinuating that’s impossible….but for me, that ended too and I kinda liked that."--Jim Campilongo talking about some of the reasons he stopped using pedals (starts around twenty minutes in)

17. pippoman

Now see, that’s what I wish I could do. Why don’t I? Because our repertoire demands the use of those despicable gadgets if we are to approximate certain songs. I would prefer we just concentrate on straight up British rock and blues/rock, but no one in the band is with me and besides, our following expects us to sound a certain way. I use a bypass switch box that takes most of the noisy pedals out of the signal chain, but that’s just one more box on my board. I’m just venting so I’ll shut up.

Wulf likes this.
  18. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Very true, in a trio that i have i use a lot of effects to try to make the music a bit more interesting, it really works, for some song i use pitch, pad reverb, ring modulator,long delays etc.....
    Without effects it would be much more boring to me, also i have fun doing it.:):):)

pippoman likes this.
  19. pippoman

The playing part is fun, but setting up and tearing down is a bummer. That’s always been the case in my 47 years of gigging. At least I’m no longer hauling a Twin Reverb around. My back really appreciates that.

20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

used a ring modulator years ago on microphone...sounded like a Dalek....someone poured ale into it....shouting "thats how you get rid of Daleks...im better than Dr Who....."...can you guess what happened to him?

cyclopean and pippoman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.