1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why we really need pedals . . .

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nvilletele, Nov 22, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The most amps I’ve owned at one time were three and none of them were Marshalls. At one time I envisioned owning a blackface, tweed, Marshall and Vox. (To hell with modeling!:eek:). I found I didn’t like Vox either. Every time I’ve ventured into other amp tones I’ve always came running back to my blackface friends (either a DR or a PR).
    Again my ears aren’t nuanced enough to really differentiate. If I want AC/DC style Marshall sound I can get close enough. If I want Cinnamon Girl, Stones, ZZ Top Tweed tones I can get close enough. I find little distinction between Hendrix cleans in Marshall’s or Fenders, etc.
    Now, if I had an expansive music room maybe I would indulge having many amps but my guitar room is a 10x11 space.
    It’s funny how we all perceive different tones and develop our preferences. Plus, we all employ our devices differently. I’m a non-gigging home player. Pedals allow me to control loudness and still get crunch or lead tones. I plan to simplify that because I now have an amp with an attenuator.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Behringer!

(it's the punch line)

3. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Drive and fuzz pedals can be an indulgence, bordering on addiction. However at a gig when you can’t turn up they can be your lifeline. I guess the same can be said for the home player with a NMV amp.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Why are people afraid of effects? Just play straight through your amp and dont worry about people that dont.
    If effects ruins the music you listen to, wouldn’t you just stop listening to it?

cyclopean likes this.
  5. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

check out this merzbow set. he's a legend in the genre.

adamfarmer likes this.
  6. cyclopean

or purient:

7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You really need pedals for bicycles.

nvilletele likes this.
  8. cyclopean

or final, which is a godflesh side project. i saw them at the necronomicon last year and they were outstanding.

9. cyclopean

i was at this show, and it was pretty transcendent.

i wonder if the person that taped it also has the hirs set from that night. it was the best integration of a backing track into a live performance that i've ever seen.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well WRT Hendrix cleans, he always used Marshalls live (after he started his own bands) but many studio recorded clean sounds were a Twin Reverb!

IME the really good Marshall cleans are harder to get because some Marshalls or the speakers they come with are just not the best Marshall clean examples, and when I was hooked on spring reverb the lack of it sounded wrong to me.
    The basic vintage Marshall circuit and the BF Fender circuit are so different in numerous ways but can be dialed in either sorta similar or drastically different. I think a main difference is that the Fender really only has facility for clean sounds and the dirt is an unplanned bonus, while the Marshall circuit was tweaked to not sort of fall apart above clipping.
    But that means that the Marshall almost needs totally different settings for clean vs distorted sounds.

Unless, you use the plain Jane volume knob that rolls off treble as you turn down.
    Then you can set the amp for screaming distortion, turn down the guitar volume, and instantly get a warm fat clean sound.
    Guitars with treble bleeds don't do that as well because all the extra presence and treble you dial in for dirt is lost to clipping, but returns below clipping, then the old fashioned guitar pot eases back that treble for your cleans.

Of course it seems like the PR and DR 6v6 amps sound a little IDK fatter, as does the Super Reverb.
    All BF tone stacks are the same but the power sections are all different as are the speaker complement.
    Those impart sonic sigs and some BF seems fatter, even more middy.
    I used BF amps and Marshalls for years before finally moving over to only Marshalls.
    Speaker choice can fill in the lacking BF mids nicely if preferred, and for Marshalls I do not like the classic over middy Greenbacks, instead using more open sounding speakers.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Good question and I think the answer can be found in what the WWW did to gear acquisition and discussion.

Used to be you asked guitar teacher, band mates or music store reps what gear got what sounds.
    Then you were right there trying the gear, or it was just a short drive to try it, and mostly it was guitar into amp, because the pedals that make one amp sound like another amp did not exist yet.

Now the curious shopper asks on a forum how to get an amp based sound, and most who answer will suggest a pedal based sound, because most of us use pedals.

Really topping off the irony of internet discussion, yesterday I read several suggestions that:

Because SS amps do not have a warm sound, you need a SS EQ pedal in front of the SS amp to make it sound warm like a tube amp.

That is what we have come to on the internet in the misinformation age!

4pickupguy likes this.
  12. cyclopean

it's kinda nice that gear misinformation is way less dangerous than others kinds of disinfo.

adamfarmer and telemnemonics like this.
  13. Zecsson

Zecsson TDPRI Member

This is my pedalboard. I love a natural overdrive from my ac15, but you need a pedals to juice up an amp little bit :)

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I can’t imagine being in a Rush, Police or a 80’ tribute band of any kind without at least a delay and mod of some kind.
    When I get back from Japan the band is supposed to start rehearsals for an assumed post apocalyptic music re-emergence... (I know music is dead, forever), but I cannot imagine playing in a fusion band without at least a delay a mod and a low/high gain drive.

telemnemonics and cyclopean like this.
  15. GeddonArchon

GeddonArchon TDPRI Member

EQ is just the beginning. I have a big digital mixer. Allen and heath qu32. It has high pass, eq, gate, compression available on every channel. If I’m watching something on YouTube I find myself changing the eq, using the high pass, and using compression fairly often and sometimes the gate. Having that stuff available and knowing how to use it spoils me.

16. Analogue_Approach

Analogue_Approach TDPRI Member

I've been running an eq pedal in my effects loop for quite a while now....other than the tonal advantages it offers, It also gives the added ability of setting my pre and post levels at the amp to where I want them, while adjusting the volume to room levels with the eq main level. All the grunt from my tubes at bedroom levels of I want....or even boosted if I need.

17. tfaux

tfaux TDPRI Member

Because most of our playing and teaching is over Zoom or on home recordings these days and we can't play at tube overdrive volume.

18. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Had us going there Wulf. Plug that bike str8 into yer amp and crank that rascal.

Wulf likes this.
  19. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

That's cool, I've found myself having to familiarize myself with all of that using DAWs, but don't generally apply it to guitar until I'm mixing a song that a guitar is in, but yeah no reason they can't be just as effectively applied when you're playing guitar whenever--those tools are certain invaluable to mixing

20. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

Totally, I've found myself relying on my EQ pedal for the same thing, which I did not originally expect

One of the main reasons (if not the only reason) I didn't get the MXR 6 band EQ is because it has no overall gain or volume adjustment

Analogue_Approach likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.