Why We Play

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DekeDog, Oct 13, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

These are the chicks I have attracted:

[​IMG]

2. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Better than I've done... but there's still all that
    money!

Blue Bill and nojazzhere like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have only played out a small number of times - maybe 3 or 4. I would love to play with people, or play out on occasion for fun. Not too much though; I don't need a 3rd or 4th job.

I play for myself, as I get time. Stress relief. Decompress. Ahhhhh.

Matt G, Happy Enchilada and Gimble like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I play because I love it and it keeps my head in check. I’ve made a living at it (bassist haha) and even largely paid for my education via some lucky years in music. Any gig is enjoyable and I appreciate the fun and fringe benefits (not fringed benefits). Music brings me joy.

Matt G, Gimble, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  5. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I played in bands since I was 15, with only one dry spell of maybe a year in the mid-80s. I finally gave it up a couple years ago once I got grumpy enough to get tired of dealing with other people's s**t. I just about quit playing period for a while, switching my passion to motorcycles. I just recently picked it back up when a couple other old Codgers in the neighborhood wanted to get together "for fun." And it was, for about a minute. Now their conversation involves a lot of words like "PA" and "gigs" and schedules . . . all the reasons I quit. I told them from the get- go, I wasn't interested in any of that, but I guess people hear what they want. Anyway, I'm glad to have picked up my guitar again, it is fun. I just don't want to go once more into the breach.

What was this thread about again?

Matt G, Chicago Matt, Gimble and 2 others like this.
  6. El Serio

El Serio Tele-Meister

As a small child I was always intrigued by the old guitar (Supro Ozark) that my grandma had upstairs, I would occasionally plug it in and make some noise, but I didn't know where to begin.

In the latter part of high school my best friend taught me a few little pieces of songs that he knew, but I didn't get very far, but it did whet my appetite for guitar.

In college a roommate taught me a few chords. A girl who lived across the street let me play her acoustic, and I was at her place playing every day until I married her and got too busy with concurrent full time school and work.

About 3 years ago I was at a Boy Scout meeting where there was a presentation about music, one person was playing cello and another was played the guitar for the kids, and I decided it was time to get back to it.

At the time I was just about overwhelmed by the fact that my wife and I will have to care for a couple of our children for the rest of our lives (or at least as long as we are capable), many hopes and dreams had to be set aside.

Playing guitar was a dream that could still live within the realities of my life, it was exactly what I needed.

Over the course of the past 3 years, rare has been the day when I haven't played.

P Thought, Matt G, Gimble and 9 others like this.
  7. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I like to say that I’m like a baby with a rattle; to me it’s simply a beautiful noise.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I like to annoy my wife.

nojazzhere, 3fngrs and Greggorios like this.
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    ….$$$€€€££££….

P Thought likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am, therefore I play.

11. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's therapeutic.

12. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I play for me. There are riffs in my head that need to come out sometimes. It's the only really creative thing I do. I'm not a good painter, can't draw, definitely can't sing. It's the only way I truly express myself.

13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I started playing in 1968 because there was nothing on TV.

No much has changed.

Matt G, Chicago Matt, Gimble and 3 others like this.
  14. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've played nearly all my life, but I didn't join a band until I was in my early 30s. It was almost a midlife crisis kind of thing. I got on Craigslist one day, and found a very active local blues group looking guitarist. They gave me a list of songs, I practiced them, and I auditioned. Then, I'm suddenly playing 3-5 times a week, not to mention a weekly practice bringing in new songs. It was crazy.

elihu, Gimble, Jakedog and 1 other person like this.
  15. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I play in a couple of bands. I like getting up and acting like wherever I'm playing is waaaaay bigger than it actually is. Then I get off the stage and it's back to being socially awkward...

elihu, Gimble, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  16. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I’ve said to people that “musicians need to play music as normal people need to breathe”.

My Lady has been with me for almost 11 years. She didn’t understand that at first. She thought it was a hobby when she first met me. But, as we grew closer, she realized that it was of the essence for me. When I was asked to take on the role of Choir Director at my Church, and she saw me struggling to broker the personality conflicts between choir members and bridge differences of opinion about the approach to the music ministry, she understood more clearly what I meant by that.

Music has been a part of my life since age 6, when I first began singing in my childhood Church’s Junior Choir. The Director insisted that we all read music - treble clef, at least. The age to start was supposed to be eight, but I was accepted earlier. I learned to read, and sight-sing; it was what was expected of us. When I became interested in learning to play guitar, I was given a guitar for Christmas, just after my 11th birthday. It cost my parents $50.00 USD. At that time, my mother was a stay-at-home mom recovering from her first operation for the breast cancer that would eventually kill her; my father was a salesman for a specialty cutlery chain in New York City. At that time, his pre-tax income was about $5,500 USD per year. Even at eleven years old, I understood what a sacrifice my parents had made for me. It looked like this, and I still cherish it to this very day:
    BBB7CBA4-881E-40F2-859C-608184EE1AA8.jpeg

Because of that, giving up wasn’t an option. My folks sought out a good teacher, with nearly no assistance. My first teacher was a 90 year old man who couldn’t communicate well with me. A school friend was taking sax lessons from a very good teacher, who had taught guitar to his older brother. The price was high per week, but my parents swallowed hard and paid it. It was Charles Persico who made me a guitarist. God bless your soul, Mr. Persico.

My parents’ understanding of my need to play and sing shaped my personhood, among other things. My late ex-wife never understood it. Thank God for my Lady, and my children, who DO get it. My Lady understood it when I bought a little Mustang I v.2 amp to keep at her house. She later bought a pretty Squier FSR Bullet Strat in Aztec Gold for me to keep there. I cherish that, and her, too:
    46879428-E818-4B6C-BB48-38544B621340.jpeg

Whenever I was unable to play or sing, due to life getting in the way, I felt suffocated. Now, I can breathe freely.

P Thought, elihu, JL_LI and 4 others like this.
  17. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

I've thought a lot about this.

it's the 'creating something from nothing' aspect that keeps me at it. From that perspective, it's no different than any other hobbies including art and woodworking. Creating something is like a drug for me. Creating something with other people is twice as satisfying.

18. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I've been playing for 63 years. I honestly can't imagine NOT playing every day. On those rare occasions when I cannot (lounging in the cardiac unit, operations, injuries, backpacking), I get genuine withdrawal.

I played out when I was younger. Now I'm totally interested in the music as music - theory and so on. I really don't care about the social aspects at all, except that I do enjoy coming here to blab about guitars 'til the cows come home.

19. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I get this. Creative people usually find a way to express themselves in some sort of media and often in their work, in whatever field they pursue.

20. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is a great philosophy of life and probably a good signature line.

Gimble likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.